Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Took this list from Saintsational but it shows who was selected with pick 13, which is what we are expecting to get as compensation for Goddard. Not a bad list of players!!
2011: Taylor Adams, GWS - 15 games (15.0 per year)
2010: Seb Tape, GCS - 23 games (11.5 per year)
2009: Daniel Talia, Adelaide - 32 games (10.7 per year)
2008: Tom Lynch, St Kilda - 12 games (3.0 per year)
2007: Brad Ebert, West Coast - 98 games (19.6 per year)
2006: Jack Riewoldt, Richmond - 112 games (18.7 per year)
2005: Shannon Hurn, West Coast - 122 games (17.4 per year)
2004: Matthew Bate, Melbourne - 102 games (12.8 per year)
2003: Brent Stanton, Essendon - 182 games (20.2 per year)
2002: Byron Schammer, Fremantle - 129 games (14.3 per year)
2001: Nick Dal Santo, St Kilda - 238 games (21.6 per year)
2000: Ash McGrath, Brisbane - 188 games (15.7 per year)
1999: Robert Murphy, Footscray - 230 games (17.7 per year)
1998: Chris Lamb, Melbourne - 21 games (4.2 per year)
1997: Callum Chambers, West Coast - 66 games (7.3 per year)
1996: Tom Gilligan, Adelaide - 3 games (1.5 per year)
1995: Brad Rowe, Fremantle - 8 games (8.0 per year)
1994: Chris Hemley, St Kilda - 1 game (1.0 per year)
1993: David Ugrinic, Geelong - 0 games
1992: Andrew McKay, Carlton - 244 games (22.2 per year)
1991: Shane Crawford, Hawthorn - 305 games (17.9 per year)

And you get the Salary cap relief that might allow you to pick up another good player through trades, free trades etc. Talented youngster and maybe another good footballer of a similar age possibly.

Took this list from Saintsational but it shows who was selected with pick 13, which is what we are expecting to get as compensation for Goddard. Not a bad list of players!!
2011: Taylor Adams, GWS - 15 games (15.0 per year)
2010: Seb Tape, GCS - 23 games (11.5 per year)
2009: Daniel Talia, Adelaide - 32 games (10.7 per year)
2008: Tom Lynch, St Kilda - 12 games (3.0 per year)
2007: Brad Ebert, West Coast - 98 games (19.6 per year)
2006: Jack Riewoldt, Richmond - 112 games (18.7 per year)
2005: Shannon Hurn, West Coast - 122 games (17.4 per year)
2004: Matthew Bate, Melbourne - 102 games (12.8 per year)
2003: Brent Stanton, Essendon - 182 games (20.2 per year)
2002: Byron Schammer, Fremantle - 129 games (14.3 per year)
2001: Nick Dal Santo, St Kilda - 238 games (21.6 per year)
2000: Ash McGrath, Brisbane - 188 games (15.7 per year)
1999: Robert Murphy, Footscray - 230 games (17.7 per year)
1998: Chris Lamb, Melbourne - 21 games (4.2 per year)
1997: Callum Chambers, West Coast - 66 games (7.3 per year)
1996: Tom Gilligan, Adelaide - 3 games (1.5 per year)
1995: Brad Rowe, Fremantle - 8 games (8.0 per year)
1994: Chris Hemley, St Kilda - 1 game (1.0 per year)
1993: David Ugrinic, Geelong - 0 games
1992: Andrew McKay, Carlton - 244 games (22.2 per year)
1991: Shane Crawford, Hawthorn - 305 games (17.9 per year)

I reckon 12 of the 21 are decent picks you would be happy with. So i guess it is nearly a 50/50 shot you get a good player for that pick. Good luck with it.

"All I can do is assure our fans that we are in a very aggressive position now to rebuild and rebuild our list not just for next year but for the next four or five years." - Scott Watters

"All I can do is assure our fans that we are in a very aggressive position now to rebuild and rebuild our list not just for next year but for the next four or five years." - Scott Watters
Actions are stronger than words.

If you need 2 or 3 years to refresh the list then it is better to have some short-term pain and get more quality in as long as you have enough core senior players so the kids coming in are coming into a strong and stable environment.

This is meant to be a very good draft up to 15 or so with a lot of quality development prospects there as well so you would be fairly optimistic about putting a fair bit of talent on the list this pre-season.

I reckon 12 of the 21 are decent picks you would be happy with. So i guess it is nearly a 50/50 shot you get a good player for that pick. Good luck with it.

Ignore anything pre 2000 and it's a good strike rate, Tom Lynch aside.

I just think proceed with caution before pinning all your hopes on the new guy, by all means be optimistic, but I'm not sure the cause for congratulations just yet.

Fact is we chose to retain Peake and Polo (and to a lesser extent Peake and Ray) by offering them new contracts at the end of last year...and allowed Dawson to leave.

I just hope the direction is sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if this has already been posted, but worth a read, especially if you believe that the club didn't try hard enough for BJ:

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-foo...-more-than-500000-to-stay/20121001-26unq.html

Thanks for that SaintLex. What an interesting article. Amazing, but inevitable that the truth eventually comes out.

Watters said reports that the contract offered to Goddard by his club of ten years was around the $500,000 were 'ludicrous'.
"It was certainly a lot more significant than that," he said.
"The reason is money. It's that simple," Watters said. "Really there's nothing outside of that."
Now isn't that dramatically different from purported facts, that have been passed on as accurate, on here. As has also been said many times, the club was being managed professionally and is on the right track.
Hollow claims of being torn at going, loyalty to the club, etc etc all were tissue thin and of no substance. The move was purely for $$$$$$$$$. No problem, that he doesn't want to be at St Kilda, but don't play us for fools, with the charade along the way.

I think I've calmed down a bit but I'm still bitterly disappointed by this. I would love nothing more than for us to pick up the next Dal Santo whilst Goddard spuds it up at the Bombers for 4 years, I just can't see that happening.

Goddard (was) demanding more than $600,000 per season.

"We weren't fooling with that offer. That was a significant and serious offer"

"We didn't need to go back and present something else because the offer that we made was a legitimate, significant offer."

Watters said St Kilda would consider on-trading the compensation pick ... with ... Caddy a potential target.

"All I can do is assure our fans that we are in a very aggressive position now to rebuild and rebuild our list not just for next year but for the next four or five years."

Goddard (was) demanding more than $600,000 per season.

"We weren't fooling with that offer. That was a significant and serious offer"

"We didn't need to go back and present something else because the offer that we made was a legitimate, significant offer."

Watters said St Kilda would consider on-trading the compensation pick ... with ... Caddy a potential target.

"All I can do is assure our fans that we are in a very aggressive position now to rebuild and rebuild our list not just for next year but for the next four or five years."

Watters and co are getting criticism for BJ leaving. At the end of the day his emphasis on the team and building a list for the next four or five years plus, will win out.

Well those reports would seem to contradict the reports we were low balling Goddard with an unreasonable offer so a bit harder to feel sympathy for him.

It looks like we gave him a reasonable offer but he just decided he wanted more money at Essendon. He couldn't expect us to offer more based on his recent form. Disappointing to lose a star player and club favourite but you can't just pay extra dollars on name and reputation when the output doesn't back it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back