Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well those reports would seem to contradict the reports we were low balling Goddard with an unreasonable offer so a bit harder to feel sympathy for him.

It looks like we gave him a reasonable offer but he just decided he wanted more money at Essendon. He couldn't expect us to offer more based on his recent form. Disappointing to lose a star player and club favourite but you can't just pay extra dollars on name and reputation when the output doesn't back it up.
Maybe he just didn't want to play at St Kilda any more, and there was little the club could do about it. We don't know if it was just about money, length of contract, has a sudden penchant for red sashes, or something else

Maybe he just didn't want to play at St Kilda any more, and there was little the club could do about it. We don't know if it was just about money, length of contract, has a sudden penchant for red sashes, or something else

Well the past couple of years he hasn't looked happy or interested when he's on the field so despite saying he loves St Kilda and wanted to be a one club player maybe he wanted a change of scenery. The extra money would have been a big factor though.

It will be interesting to see what his attitude is like at Essendon and whether he can rediscover his best form. I don't think his lack of form was just down to attitude though, he is getting older and has had a few injuries so doesn't look as physically capable of playing like he was 2 or 3 years ago.

Pretty clear he doesn't want to got mate, he just wants to be paid at market value and for some reason we are refusing to do it. He might not be our best performed player this year but he is arguably our most valuable, he deserves to be on big dollars.

Pick 13 is not adequate compensation in my eyes.

Team first not egotistic individuals

I still think it is disappointing to hear a coach come out and say that. Should all be behind closed doors. What is to stop Goddard retaliating in the media, then who is to say which media generated reports are true?

Also, what is the Herald Sun article about Essendon's chairman offering Goddard a job? I thought that was outlawed these days?

To be fair, his past 40 games have been mediocre. I think it is fair enough for Watters to say that. Brendon no doubt knows they were mediocre at best as well. Goddard's future is up to him, and Essendon have taken a risk with him. We can't control that, what we have to do is ensure we come out of this as the winners. Drafts are always a roll of the dice and the players are never guaranteed to be quality. I just hope that Saints fans don't expect whoever we get with pick 13 to set the world on fire, and place unfair expectations on him.

I still think it is disappointing to hear a coach come out and say that. Should all be behind closed doors. What is to stop Goddard retaliating in the media, then who is to say which media generated reports are true?

Also, what is the Herald Sun article about Essendon's chairman offering Goddard a job? I thought that was outlawed these days?

FORMER chairman and the club never responded to the offer

His last 40 games were mediocre.

We would be staggered not to get a first round pick.

It might be wise to choose the former words more wisely if hoping for the latter.

I would think the compensation would be tied to the salary package involved and his age rather than some judgement ( made by who?) about how well he's been playing. Maybe they'd consider whether he's a regular in the 22.

One of the things he didn't like was Seaford. Good luck going to Tullamarine every day considering he probably lives somewhere south of the Yarra.
I think his preference was to stay if he could get top dollar. He used Essendon to make a bluff and the club called his bluff. Now he has to live with his decision. I think he might regret it in the long run. But good luck to him, he played some bloody good football for our club and gave the supporters plenty to cheer about. He will always be a life member of St Kilda.

Additional Services Agreements are covered & allowed - both in the CBA, and under the Free Agency rules. With conditions. There's only a certain amount clubs can offer, it's not heaps - 1 day a week sort of thing, doubt it's going to be the difference.

It was the correct decision. Goddard at his age should not be offered a four year contract, even more so with his indifferent past two seasons. It gives St.Kilda much needed salary cap space to help rebuild the list with some quality youngsters coming through the club. I'm looking forward to pick 13, the recruiting department need to make it count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are my top ten things that have peeved me off and I need to get them off my chest.

1. The handling of the Brendan Goddard situation

2. The handling of the Ross Lyon situation

3. The handling of the Luke Ball situation

4. The handling of the Seaford/Moorabbin Base situation

5. The handling of the Robert Harvey situation

6. The handling of the Max Hudghton situation

7. The handling of the St Kilda schoolgirl situation

8. The handling of the "retired players" in 2011 situation

9. The handling of the Grand Final rematch 2010

10. The handling of Fortius Quo Fidelius

You can add my childhood legend Nicky Winmar to Footscray

Call me a dreamer but my Uptopia is Banga sitting in the coaches box with Maxxie at his side, training down at Linton street and men playing for their mates and their jumper.

Going by the article on the Bomber website, Horsburgh's talking horseshit again.
No deal has been offered other than the playing contract.

Not sure it's going to prevent the AFL sending out that admin guy who checks the book, this Ray fellow has embarrassed the AFL with his comments this morning, they tend not to like that.

Yeah, I'm not sure about it either.

Reckon it had a bit to do with uniting Saints fans as the membership renewals have arrived ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure about it either.

Reckon it had a bit to do with uniting Saints fans as the membership renewals have arrived ;)

Or maybe that the Club had got sick of being whacked as either incompetent, or the bad guys, when it simply came down to BJ wanting more money.

Here are my top ten things that have peeved me off and I need to get them off my chest.

1. The handling of the Brendan Goddard situation

2. The handling of the Ross Lyon situation

3. The handling of the Luke Ball situation

4. The handling of the Seaford/Moorabbin Base situation

5. The handling of the Robert Harvey situation

6. The handling of the Max Hudghton situation

7. The handling of the St Kilda schoolgirl situation

8. The handling of the "retired players" in 2011 situation

9. The handling of the Grand Final rematch 2010

10. The handling of Fortius Quo Fidelius

You can add my childhood legend Nicky Winmar to Footscray

Call me a dreamer but my Uptopia is Banga sitting in the coaches box with Maxxie at his side, training down at Linton street and men playing for their mates and their jumper.

On a couple of these;

The club handled RL's leaving in the best way possible by thanking him for what he did, being combative or giving him an extra few years with the authority he wanted would have set us back as a club since his development was rather abysmal as evidence by requests for trades from Walsh & Lynch citing "opportunity" whilst others got 2 games and back to VFL.

Linen House Centre also needed to be developed, it wasn't a choice as evidence by one of your other points with the '10 replay, as that GF was decided purely on the basis of recovery and Collingwood had/have that better equipment and funding to deal with it whilst we were at Moorabbin butting heads with the council about redevelopment plans as they were stonewalling sections of the plans we wished to undertake. Frankston, and Seaford, whilst a right pain in the arse for those of us NW of Melb to get to (no real public access route whilst Linton St was close to the train station and central) it needed to give.

Finally the HS schoolgirl scenario was entirely media driven, propelled initially by Hinch's antics that stories must be true and not corroborated. The club backed the players in, as you'd expect, as the evidence was rather lacking on the womans behalf, yet treated both sides with respect vs what hawthorn did with tabloids and court injunction it to feed the beast through throwing up walls so people go "they must want to hide something!". She self destructed, we were vindicated and the media shut right up as soon as that happened and we looked rosy for how we treated the situation.

Also, what about Plugger to Sydney? Sure he was a chubby bloke at that stage, but that stung as much as Cuz running around for the Dogs or the Wakelin twins being shoved out as well.

Or maybe that the Club had got sick of being whacked as either incompetent, or the bad guys, when it simply came down to BJ wanting more money.

Nah, doubt it.

They weren't being whacked in the media, most were saying well done for being strong, and that Saints couldn't of matched the reported offer.

This was directed at Saints fans IMO.

Nah, doubt it.

They weren't being whacked in the media, most were saying well done for being strong, and that Saints couldn't of matched the reported offer.

This was directed at Saints fans IMO.

They were being whacked online and in social media, by many Saints supporters. They look like they felt that they had enough of turning the other cheek, while BJ made out that he had clean hands in all of this, instead of the grubby little money grub that it indeed was.

Fair enough, you want to either get the big money from St Kilda, or get it from someone else, but please spare us from the bleatings on the difficulty of your choice, your desire to stay etc etc, when at the end of the day, it has been clearly shown, that it was indeed all about the money.

Quite right. I missed the former part of the headline.

Yea I think lot people misread entire article, they seem to think its happened whereas they say they never even responded to his request.

They were being whacked online and in social media, by many Saints supporters. They look like they felt that they had enough of turning the other cheek, while BJ made out that he had clean hands in all of this, instead of the grubby little money grub that it indeed was.

Fair enough, you want to either get the big money from St Kilda, or get it from someone else, but please spare us from the bleatings on the difficulty of your choice, your desire to stay etc etc, when at the end of the day, it has been clearly shown, that it was indeed all about the money.

Saints fans are allowed to ask the club why, and how, it's part of the 'grieving' process. I mean, the guy was hugely significant to our club being thereabouts for the period of time it was.

Not sure how BJ made the club out to be the enemy at all, and I believe it would of been a difficult decision. Can't ignore the fact that the Saints welcomed his intent to test the FA market rather than sitting down with him again, they must of known that we'd lose him at that point.

Not sure I'm personally any clearer on the money side of things, even on 360 last night Robbo said he has heard that the Saints reduced the offer.

However we all move on, you've got to.

The club didn't even whack Ross when he left, I must admit that I like that kind of stance better, always show yourself to be the bigger person.

Saints fans are allowed to ask the club why, and how, it's part of the 'grieving' process. I mean, the guy was hugely significant to our club being thereabouts for the period of time it was.

Not sure how BJ made the club out to be the enemy at all, and I believe it would of been a difficult decision. Can't ignore the fact that the Saints welcomed his intent to test the FA market rather than sitting down with him again, they must of known that we'd lose him at that point.

Not sure I'm personally any clearer on the money side of things, even on 360 last night Robbo said he has heard that the Saints reduced the offer.

However we all move on, you've got to.

The club didn't even whack Ross when he left, I must admit that I like that kind of stance better, always show yourself to be the bigger person.

Obviously the media was making the club to be the 'bad guy' in all this if Robbo is reporting that we reduced the offer. There's nothing wrong with the club coming out and refuting those claims, not only because they are false but paint a bad image that we didn't try hard enough to retain BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back