Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

How would you know what Kosi's being paid? Fact is neither you or I have any idea on player payments but I'm gonna trust the club, not bullshit being spouted by the Herald Sun.

Shouldnt have been signed for so long when champion players find it hard to get 4 or 5 year deals no matter what he is been payed. Should be gone (even if he is only on 200k which i can guarentee is the minimum), but we cant because the club signed their life away with him. If you think thats good and want to trust the club as we say goodbye to a player who should be staying whilst we are stuck with him and re sign gilbert instead then you are more gullable than me. I am pissed off that are are keeping average talent and letting go of BJ because of mistakes in list management!!!

Shouldnt have been signed for so long when champion players find it hard to get 4 or 5 year deals no matter what he is been payed. Should be gone (even if he is only on 200k which i can guarentee is the minimum), but we cant because the club signed their life away with him. If you think thats good and want to trust the club as we say goodbye to a player who should be staying whilst we are stuck with him and re sign gilbert instead then you are more gullable than me. I am pissed off that are are keeping average talent and letting go of BJ because of mistakes in list management!!!
The fact that you obviously think Gilbert is a bad player pretty much says you don't know what you're talking about.

Keeping Gilbert has nothing to do with keeping BJ. The reason BJ is leaving is that we don't want to pay him what he's asking for.

Or that we "cant" because of reasons above. If we wanted to get a young player or 2 in instead of your clarkes kosi's etc then pelchin could do his work and add them to a top player like BJ at the club, instead there will be young players coming in to play alongside kosi and clarke gilbert etc. Poor list management at its best

Or that we "cant" because of reasons above. If we wanted to get a young player or 2 in instead of your clarkes kosi's etc then pelchin could do his work and add them to a top player like BJ at the club, instead there will be young players coming in to play alongside kosi and clarke gilbert etc. Poor list management at its best
You can't be more wrong, Watters has said all year that we have plenty of cap space.

Does anyone else think we've been paying Roo too much? Essentially Goddard has been earning unders until now, and Reiwoldts been on a mil a year.

Really we should never ever do a 1 million a year deal again.. Team first, to actually ENCOURAGE our motto strength through loyalty...

Does anyone else think we've been paying Roo too much? Essentially Goddard has been earning unders until now, and Reiwoldts been on a mil a year.

Really we should never ever do a 1 million a year deal again.. Team first, to actually ENCOURAGE our motto strength through loyalty...

Over the length of his current contract Roo was not paid $1 million a year. Remember his contract was front loaded, with this season being on $500k a year. Over three years that is $833k per annum.

Edit: Just notice early morning mental maths was wrong. Changed from $883k to $833k

Feel like we've handed over the keys to the shiny new convertible in the drive to a stranger....

Nah, I'm talking about Pelchen getting the keys to the car

Thank God Pelchen has got the keys to the car. Our normal form, is to let the car careen down the hill, until we crash and burn at the bottom, needing a complete rebuild.

Thank God Pelchen has got the keys to the car. Our normal form, is to let the car careen down the hill, until we crash and burn at the bottom, needing a complete rebuild.

We have 1 premiership in our history, I think its about time we are trying something completely different to try and win us another one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the motto of strength through loyalty. It goes both ways you know. We have to show a certain degree of loyalty to our players if we want them to show it to the club. And from what I can gather right now we are spitting in one of our most loyal players faces.

Roo deserved the contract he was on, he was the most dominant centre half forward in the game for a very very long time.

I can see this as a likely scenario. When goddards last contract was up the club told him to be patience and wait your next contract will be your big contract when roo finishes his. Goddard being loyal as he is stays for unders and almost wins us a flag. When this contract comes up Goddard wants hhis turn for a nice contract, he will even stay for less just to be at the saints but he wants It to be at least fair. We then proceed to take a dump on his chest.

Strength through loyalty.

I can see this as a likely scenario. When goddards last contract was up the club told him to be patience and wait your next contract will be your big contract when roo finishes his. Goddard being loyal as he is stays for unders and almost wins us a flag. When this contract comes up Goddard wants hhis turn for a nice contract, he will even stay for less just to be at the saints but he wants It to be at least fair. We then proceed to take a dump on his chest.

Strength through loyalty.

How about we don't call getting $450k a year a dump on his chest. Based on Goddard's last 2 years he has been paid exactly what he should have.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...force-out-a-star/story-e6frf9jf-1226350266493

This article says Kosi $500k, Gram $400k and I believe it makes a lot of sense.

IMHO I don't think you could pay Reiwoldt (or Lenny) too much. They're legends.
But that sounds ludicrously rich for Kosi & Gram, who aren't anything better than average atm.

Both are well overpaid. As BJ would have been in X years from now. Reiwoldt was paid $1m per year, which now drops to $500k per the agreement. The article is making the wrong implication: there is space to pay BJ, the saints are just choosing not to pay the rate that is being asked.

Both are well overpaid. As BJ would have been in X years from now. Reiwoldt was paid $1m per year, which now drops to $500k per the agreement. The article is making the wrong implication: there is space to pay BJ, the saints are just choosing not to pay the rate that is being asked.
Fair enough. Essendon are pricing you out of the market, will end up paying overs
I think I'd still take Goddard over those two, though.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...force-out-a-star/story-e6frf9jf-1226350266493

But that sounds ludicrously rich for Kosi & Gram, who aren't anything better than average atm.
Yeah, because the HS never makes anything up :rolleyes:
It would be incorrect for people to think our position is compromised in any way, shape or form. So we are in a position to be aggressive from a salary cap point of view and that needs to be on the record, I'd rather people know the truth."
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/147586/default.aspx

Another quote from Watters
"There's a lot of speculation that swirls around this football club about our TPP (total player payments) and salary cap pressure," he said.
"We are in a very sound salary cap position. And for anyone to think that that would impact or a negative salary cap position would impact on our ability to keep players they would be sadly mistaken and that is an untruth."
http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Saints-step-up-Goddard-bid/48199

With respect, if Goddard clears out then it's largely due to how much St K can stretch to vs what we can.
Coaches say a lot of things, truth will out.
It's not if we can stretch, it's how far we want to.
Just because we don't want to splash over $600k on a player that shouldn't be getting it, it doesn't mean we couldn't afford to if we wanted to.

I think its been well established that this article is a complete fabrication. We did not have the salary pressure that the journalist imagined that we did have. We were moving to a new pay structure, but this is a different issue, than having no room to pay existing or new players. Our issue is simply how much we pay these players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back