Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I never like it when we lose players under these circumstances, especially if they want to stay.

What the club really needs to think about is given they we aren't doing too badly with the current set-up, would an in form Grundy make us better?

If the answer is yes, then they should find a way to make it work. If NO, then they better hope he doesn't burn the house down at another club.

I am on the side of trying to make it work, don't really want to see him go when the talk around rucks are that they mature at a later age just like Gawn has.

This sort of sht happens all the time in business - I've been the victim of it a few times myself.

And you'd better believe football is a business, not a sport for those actually involved with it.

I never like it when we lose players under these circumstances, especially if they want to stay.

What the club really needs to think about is given they we aren't doing too badly with the current set-up, would an in form Grundy make us better?

If the answer is yes, then they should find a way to make it work. If NO, then they better hope he doesn't burn the house down at another club.

I am on the side of trying to make it work, don't really want to see him go when the talk around rucks are that they mature at a later age just like Gawn has.

Grundy would be Big Upgrade to our Midfield Group. Probably don't get Smashed in Clearnces

This sort of sht happens all the time in business - I've been the victim of it a few times myself.

And you'd better believe football is a business, not a sport for those actually involved with it.

Shows Eddie/Bucks/Guy had no idea what they where doing

You missed the point cyclops.

What about the 'lesser players' eh?

You know - those players the team has to pay 25 - 30% less than their actual value to the team because that 25 - 30% is gobbled up in the handful of big contracts.

There is a fine line between paying players what they are worth and paying extortion - which is what player managers practice.

Or do you think it's fine that 'non-stars' have to make do on less so that a handful can get more than they need?

Your claim was wrong, so you didn't really have a point.

What about the 'lesser players' eh?

You know - those players the team has to pay 25 - 30% less than their actual value to the team because that 25 - 30% is gobbled up in the handful of big contracts.

There is a fine line between paying players what they are worth and paying extortion - which is what player managers practice.

Or do you think it's fine that 'non-stars' have to make do on less so that a handful can get more than they need?

This was not the point as I saw it, but here's a response: lesser players get less, that's how business works. if they are underpaid they can get a job elsewhere.

Like you I like the idea of loyalty but if you enjoy the standard of footy he have got from professionalism, then you take the business side with it.

You can rage at player managers but they wouldn't exist if clubs didn't screw players out of money. We have the salary cap because clubs literally went broke poaching each other's players.

Grundy isn't greedy, he was offered a contract, he did not extort it. If you're angry about the contract contact E McGuire with your concerns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your claim was wrong, so you didn't really have a point.

This was not the point as I saw it, but here's a response: lesser players get less, that's how business works. if they are underpaid they can get a job elsewhere.

Like you I like the idea of loyalty but if you enjoy the standard of footy he have got from professionalism, then you take the business side with it.

You can rage at player managers but they wouldn't exist if clubs didn't screw players out of money. We have the salary cap because clubs literally went broke poaching each other's players.

Grundy isn't greedy, he was offered a contract, he did not extort it. If you're angry about the contract contact E McGuire with your concerns.
You're handle is very descriptive.

I'd be sad. But we'd move on, as footy waits for nobody. He has given good service to the club, played close to 200 games. It's a shame if it had to end this way, but that is the business for you.
It might be 'the business', but it's poor form nonetheless. I think this would be an incredibly poor move, both on and off field. I hope the club is prepared for any consequences this can have in the locker-room.

It might be 'the business', but it's poor form nonetheless. I think this would be an incredibly poor move, both on and off field. I hope the club is prepared for any consequences this can have in the locker-room.
What do you expect will be happening in the locker room that requires the intervention of a keen eye and ear?

With the caveat that it is always hearsay, as we dont actually know what happened, the information in the media suggested Adelaide made a very big play, and we essentially matched the terms Adelaide were offering in order to keep him, or close enough.

The impression was definitely that his manager went hard - I guess getting a grandfather offer from another club can happen, but I would have thought it would be rare to push for matching terms from the incumbent club. Clubs always have to offer overs to get movement, so as an incumbent I'd always be starting from the assumption that 75-80% of their offer should get it done unless the player is totally focussed on the financials.

That said, we had options. Frankly if Grundy/Grundy's manager came and said, this or he walks, Id be carefully explaining that at Collingwood its about team success and thats the price of wearing the jumper. Paying that much for a ruck, which is in the end one position where good enough can be found for not much, and the added benefit from exceptional is marginal, is nuts. The only positions Id consider that money for are an elite KPF/KPB or an elite clearance inside/outside mid. Paying that much for a ruck unbalances your list in ways that * over the whole team, and Id make that point forcefully to the manager and player in question, and say that we here arent prepared to do that. So unfortunately, if those are your terms, we would be happy to facilitate a trade to the club of your choice on appropriate terms for Collingwood.

Why we didnt do that I dont know. I have a nasty suspicion there was some ego, some hubris, and some Ed in there. The problem being then if you have no walk away position for ego reasons, you will be taken to the wall by a hard negotiator.

Well put and on the money. No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn't give it any inherent value. We made a grand final with Chris Mayne and Josh Thomas, we haven't made one with Jamie Elliott - therefore, those two are better, right?

No that is not a current comparison. Why is it you always need this explained to you. Going by the fact that neither of them are on the list any longer and Elliott still is. And given Elliott’s level of output in our current team. This alone would explain why Elliot is far superior. Now that is an example of being willfully ignorant…..

Need a Huge Trade then
Will be a salary dump at best unfortunately.
We either find someone to take on the whole contract with no other compensation or we pay a few hundred k $ of his contract and get a late first/ second round pick back our way.
Like Grundy, but realistically it was a terrible contract for the club in hindsight.

No that is not a current comparison. Why is it you always need this explained to you. Going by the fact that neither of them are on the list any longer and Elliott still is. And given Elliott’s level of output in our current team. This alone would explain why Elliot is far superior. Now that is an example of being willfully ignorant…..

Lol, this is some of the most illogical reasoning I think I have ever seen. The mental gymnastics needed to justify what eddie said yet find fault with the (intentionally) ludicrous comparison I made really does evidence just how biased you are.

The team is better because of a new Coaching Panel and Game plan - not because of Grundy’s absence.
And we’ll be better again according to Fly with Grundy playing.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

The only bubble that exists is the one you reside in. If you haven’t been paying attention. Grundy is organizing his affairs and will end up elsewhere come 2023. So Grundy making us better will never be realized.

Fly played the straight bat beautifully…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back