Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH never got the impression from Brodie's public statements that his emotional connection to the club and footy was all that intense at the best of times, so not sure how massive an issue this supposed emotional disconnection is? Suggest we arent talking black and white but shades of grey at most.
Listen up - don't you get it?

On this thread.... we're talking black and white - big time

Listen up - don't you get it?

On this thread.... we're talking black and white - big time

I'm only black and white when it comes to zebra

And ponies

I think Mr Grundy wants to win Premierships as well…but he doesn’t want to be defined by such.
He won’t feel that his life or his Football career is a failure…just because he didn’t win a Flag.
Similar to Bucks or Nick Riewoldt ?
They work their arses off to win one…but if it doesn’t work out…move on.

I can completely understand his not wanting to be defined by winning a premiership or lack thereof but how about he works his ass off to play footy worthy of the paycheck he happily banks.

Or take a cut to help his team and mates within earn that premiership that some may or may not define their life by.

If he can't or won't do either as much as I like the bloke if the club thinks it will help our flag chances it's time for him to find a new home. Maybe there is a footy team out there who doesn't care if they win a premiership that he can find.

That being said yes the club buckled and gave him the contract, they are to blame but if we want to win flags being Mr nice guy to Grundy due to the mistakes of previous list managers/administration's is not going to help us get there.

I love the club far more than any individual player, the club needs to win flags. If Grundy leaving helps us do that, thanks for the service and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

You sound like you have an app that tells you up to the minute information on how much of Treloar's and Grundy's contracts the club has to pay after they're traded.
Nah, just call 1194.

“At the third stroke, Collingwood will owe Adam Treloar $300,000… Beep, beep, beep!”

It is interesting watching the language difference between Grundy and JDG just watching Fly’s press conference

It’s hard to hear the questions due to sound but he’s very open with “I said that after the game and I’ll say it again today” - in regards to De Goey staying

Next question about Grundy “it’s challenging for Brody” “we’ll look after him in the short term”
That’s how he put it? Yeesh! Not good for Brodie’s prospects in black and white.

What's your source as a counter claim to his?

Whys he lying rather then passing on info he was told?
You've been dismissive before Jmac many times and proven wrong more then right with this stuff often.
I’m not making a claim.

That’s how he put it? Yeesh! Not good for Brodie’s prospects in black and white.
That's not quite a fair representation of what happened. The question was, essentially, 'How is Brodie dealing with the unending speculation?', and then followed up with a verbatim "Is he going okay with all of this?". Fly's "short-term" comment was about Brodie feeling supported given he's away from the group recovering from surgery.

Mustard's representation of it wasn't quite fair, but on my headphones the questions were fairly easy to make out.

Grundy doesn’t want to to referred or defined as Grundy…dual Premiership player…he would rather be defined as the person he is & other more important achievements throughout his life.
Doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win.
He views the world differently…no crime in that.
Similar to big Max Gawn…both are different cats.
Not like Fox Footy commentators…triple Premiership player, dual All Australian etc.
We’re all different. You couldn’t be any more different than Billy Picken was (he bled black & white).
Grundy doesn’t strike me as someone who would bleed for the club like Tony Shaw or Brayden Maynard.

We don't know if we'd lose the game with Grundy or win by even more. You just assert that Cameron/Cox is a better combo than Grundy/Cameron or Grundy/Cox. But it's just an assertion. I could just as easily assert that we'd win by more because we'd do much better in the clearances.

Gerard Whately, for example, said on his radio show yesterday: "Imagine if they get really close but beaten in the ruck and they think, 'If only we had a premier ruckman like Grundy.' He's arguably the second best ruckman in the competition."

Okay, you disagree with me and others -- including Whately, Cornes, and other independent commentators. That's fine. We disagree.

Yet with the all conquering Grundy we lost to West Coast…

Without him we’ve beaten the reining premiers, twice.

Only time Melbourne has beaten us in the last 3 years was when Grundy played…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet with the all conquering Grundy we lost to West Coast…

Without him we’ve beaten the reining premiers, twice.

Only time Melbourne has beaten us in the last 3 years was when Grundy played…
It must be a fun life being so wilfully ignorant.

Very simplistic way of looking at it

Yeah I’m a strange person who sees winning as more important than SuperCoach points…

The fact a team gets better without their highest paid player says a lot about what that player brings to the team. You might see it here and there, but 11 straight wins against top and bottom opposition is hard to argue that we’re not stronger without him.

Yet still some continue to…

I wasn't present for a couple of years full stop when Grundy's reported 7 year, 7 million dollar contract was negotiated.
Can someone please bring me up to speed as to whether Grundy's manager unreasonably held the club to ransom somewhat to command said deal?
If the dealings at the time were strained at all between player & club?
If another club/s had openly & genuinely made similar offers? Adelaide clubs for e.g.
As a DFA he was going to walk and we matched an offer?

Last edited:
He’ll be 29 early on next season. He hasn’t had a dominant season since 2019. He’s given the club 10 years service, that gives him life membership doesn’t it? Thank him for all his years of service and move on.
He needs a fresh change and we need to free up salary cap space.
If we can facilitate a good outcome for ourselves, we should part ways with him.

I wasn't present for a couple of years full stop when Grundy's reported 7 year, 7 million dollar contract was negotiated.
Can someone please bring me up to speed as to whether Grundy's manager unreasonably held the club to ransom somewhat to command said deal?
If another club/s had openly & genuinely made similar offers? Adelaide clubs for e.g.

With the caveat that it is always hearsay, as we dont actually know what happened, the information in the media suggested Adelaide made a very big play, and we essentially matched the terms Adelaide were offering in order to keep him, or close enough.

The impression was definitely that his manager went hard - I guess getting a grandfather offer from another club can happen, but I would have thought it would be rare to push for matching terms from the incumbent club. Clubs always have to offer overs to get movement, so as an incumbent I'd always be starting from the assumption that 75-80% of their offer should get it done unless the player is totally focussed on the financials.

That said, we had options. Frankly if Grundy/Grundy's manager came and said, this or he walks, Id be carefully explaining that at Collingwood its about team success and thats the price of wearing the jumper. Paying that much for a ruck, which is in the end one position where good enough can be found for not much, and the added benefit from exceptional is marginal, is nuts. The only positions Id consider that money for are an elite KPF/KPB or an elite clearance inside/outside mid. Paying that much for a ruck unbalances your list in ways that **** over the whole team, and Id make that point forcefully to the manager and player in question, and say that we here arent prepared to do that. So unfortunately, if those are your terms, we would be happy to facilitate a trade to the club of your choice on appropriate terms for Collingwood.

Why we didnt do that I dont know. I have a nasty suspicion there was some ego, some hubris, and some Ed in there. The problem being then if you have no walk away position for ego reasons, you will be taken to the wall by a hard negotiator.

Right after he confirmed he hated Collingwood, demanded we pay 150% of his contact so he can play for our opposing club each week, and then shot the Daicos Brothers. With a Carlton gun.

[/sarcasm]
That sucks. I'm assuming the Daicos boys baulked matrix style, the bullets missed and they're good to play?

That's Grundy's manager in the black. Ned is the beige Guy.

1660291535477.png

But seriously, I don't think it's possible for strained dealings to end with a 7 year, million bucks a year contract.

What do you make of a Zorse?, not quite Zebra, not quite Horse, has pony written all over it

Feels like a pony in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back