Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selwood at 7. You chose Thorpe ahead of him.
Our last few first rounder have been duds

Smedts at 15
Cockatoo at 10

Stephen Wells has a big reputation. I think he deserves it.

But an argument could be made that if you take away all of the father sons and free agents.... a lot of the gloss comes off that resume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen Wells has a big reputation. I think he deserves it.

But an argument could be made that if you take away all of the father sons and free agents.... a lot of the gloss comes off that resume.
Yes and no

He seems to have had more success with his later picks than the earlier ones.

Eg Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly

Yes and no

He seems to have had more success with his later picks than the earlier ones.

Eg Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly

I think later picks they get a lot more freedom to choose simple footballers instead of getting caught up in rankings and ratings and such.

Most Pick 1s aren’t the best of their draft class, but are usually the consensus ‘best’ player in their draft year. Much of the first and second rounds are similar.

People are also risk averse with their early picks so will often take the player seen as safe instead of speculative.

Edit - a LOT is being said on the basis of one pre-pre-season match. The team will naturally perform and gel far better with Cripps and Fisher back into the lineup.

I wouldn't even go that far for a scratch match or the JKT games. History shows they are very poor predictors of the season results. WC were being pilloried after the JLT games last year.

Coaches use them to trial structures and players in roles, and to better assess junior players.

Generally they wont adjust the plan to try and win the game, because that's really not the point of the exercise.

Stratton and Breust are coming off career best years and Breust only turned 28 3 months ago, he will play the whole year as a 28 year old. Is Dangerfield also on the way down? Because he is 28 as well.
Yes, Dangerfield wasn't at his peak powers last season and literally everyone in the football media world as well as basically everyone on BigFooty will agree with me. He is still a gun though. Breust is certainly no Dangerfield if thats what you think?

Yes, Dangerfield wasn't at his peak powers last season and literally everyone in the football media world as well as basically everyone on BigFooty will agree with me. He is still a gun though. Breust is certainly no Dangerfield if thats what you think?
Woosh

Which one is false:

28 and still a gun, like he was at 26.

28 and on the way down, despite playing there best footy at 27.
So you're saying that either PD's 2017 was as good as his 2015 season or that Breust is as good as PD. Cool. Both are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back