Can Sam Walsh be the GOAT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, he’s almost in No Man’s Land at the moment.

Got so bad I had to trade him out of my Supercoach team for Jack Steele.

You would want to hope that Walsh is injured.

Cripps cops the tag and Walsh runs around without a player and still spuds it up.

To mention this bloke in the same breath as some of the true young stars of the comp, is just embarrassing.
Imagine with no Cripps and Walsh copped the attention week in, week out.
Would just be another Adam Cerra.

When I think of Walsh, Brice Gibbs comes to mind.

You would want to hope that Walsh is injured.

Cripps cops the tag and Walsh runs around without a player and still spuds it up.

To mention this bloke in the same breath as some of the true young stars of the comp, is just embarrassing.
Imagine with no Cripps and Walsh copped the attention week in, week out.
Would just be another Adam Cerra.

When I think of Walsh, Brice Gibbs comes to mind.
23 disposals and 11 tackles in 80% time on the ground not good enough for you bud?

One of the most overrated players in the AFL. His disposal is very ordinary and his decision-making is questionable... He has a knack for putting his teammates under pressure, or blindly kicking to contests and turning the ball over.

Laughable the way deluded Blues fans on Big Footy think Cripps + Walsh = Bont + Daicos

Sam Walsh isn't worth the steam off Nick Daicos's piss.

Sorry Blues fans... I have no dog in the fight, but that's my objective, unbiased opinion.

The media hype up Carlton's midfield duo something chronic, but I don't get all the hype. Carlton's two best players are Weitering and Curnow... They are both great bookends. Two of the very best in their positions.

Cripps and Walsh...? Meh, not so much... Hard working, blue collar mids.

Last edited:
One of the most overrated players in the AFL. His disposal is very ordinary and his decision-making is questionable... He has a knack for putting his teammates under pressure, or blindly kicking to contests and turning the ball over.

Laughable the way deluded Blues fans on Big Footy think Cripps + Walsh = Bont + Daicos

Sam Walsh isn't worth the steam off Nick Daicos's piss.

Sorry Blues fans... I have no dog in the fight, but that's my objective, unbiased opinion.

The media hype up Carlton's midfield duo something chronic, but I don't get all the hype. Carlton's two best players are Weitering and Curnow... They are both great bookends. Two of the very best in their positions.

Cripps and Walsh...? Meh, not so much... Hard working, blue collar mids.
Walsh has been ordinary for the last month now and his kicking has been abysmal in that time.

To try bundle Cripps in there too is hilarious though. He'd be your best player by the length of Flemington 😂

Probably be AA captain and every chance to win the Brownlow again this year too. 2nd in coaches votes...

Clueless 😂

Sam Walsh has already peaked and shown his best football, what you see is what you get. He can be great on any day like his teammate cripps but they aren't consistent every quarter and every week and for me walsh can be overrated but Cripps had a great game against eagles but he can still be overrated also

Sam Walsh has already peaked and shown his best football, what you see is what you get. He can be great on any day like his teammate cripps but they aren't consistent every quarter and every week and for me walsh can be overrated but Cripps had a great game against eagles but he can still be overrated also
Player going through a form slump for just about the first time in his career after a severe back injury and having surgery on it twice... Averaging 28 touches and 6.5 tackles a game is inconsistent.

Same with the player who's favorite to win the Brownlow and with a big last game may take out the AFLCA award too

Okay...

The modern day Dayne Beams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? As a North fan I can agree that Walsh has had multiple injuries and is averaging in the top 15 with 28.2 touches. Walsh has been absolutely amazing this season and has gotten all his got.

His averaging 6 more touches than your highest averaging midfielder which is Newcombe with only 23. That shows how good of a player Walsh is, plus his fantasy average has been the most for the blues this season.

Player going through a form slump for just about the first time in his career after a severe back injury and having surgery on it twice... Averaging 28 touches and 6.5 tackles a game is inconsistent.

Same with the player who's favorite to win the Brownlow and with a big last game may take out the AFLCA award too

Okay...
He ain't no Rankine,Butters,Daicos,Rozee or Gulden though, i would say walsh now and the other players in 2018 draft (specifically rankine and rozee) have had better careers and are higher rated players in the comp

He ain't no Rankine,Butters,Daicos,Rozee or Gulden though, i would say walsh now and the other players in 2018 draft (specifically rankine and rozee) have had better careers and are higher rated players in the comp
Walsh has had just as good a year as any bar Butters from his draft. He's won best player of the finals last year, won the rising star, came 3rd in the Brownlow with 30 votes in a pathetic side at the time and has pretty much always consistently played above average-elite games for his entire career.

Since his back issues he's certainly lost some of his dazzle and line breaking run but it's just delusion and recency bias to make out as if he's fallen dramatically behind others over their short careers so far.

WalshistheGOAT- If I were you there is no use to a response. That’s the most delusional thing i’ve seen. I can agree with N Daicos, Gulden and Butters leading the way of being a better player than Walsh (this season) but Rozee? The Rozee vs Walsh debate already ended ages ago and Walsh by far is way way better than Rozee.

I love Rozee and how he plays but he can’t lead a team and has stepped up in the last 3 weeks as a Captain, but comparison to Walsh? If Walsh played the whole season it would be a whole competition between all them players named. Walsh still is better than Rozee this season.

Now Issac Rankine, this is what you call an overrated player. He is no where near a Walsh and has just came up being classified as “top tier” in round 8 and above. Walsh clears Rozee and Rankine by a mile even with his back surgery.

Now Issac Rankine, this is what you call an overrated player. He is no where near a Walsh and has just came up being classified as “top tier” in round 8 and above. Walsh clears Rozee and Rankine by a mile even with his back surgery.
Walsh by a mile over Rozee and Rankine?

Would it surprise anyone if the draft was redone now and Walsh was the third picked of those 3 players?

It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

You obviously don't rate ball use and decision making as important criteria when assessing a player's value...

What? As a North fan I can agree that Walsh has had multiple injuries and is averaging in the top 15 with 28.2 touches. Walsh has been absolutely amazing this season and has gotten all his got.

His averaging 6 more touches than your highest averaging midfielder which is Newcombe with only 23. That shows how good of a player Walsh is, plus his fantasy average has been the most for the blues this season.
Raw disposal counts don't tell the full story though. Parish is a good example.

Coaches votes sum up Walsh's season:

-Fantastic round 6-16 (featuring 9 times for 61 votes)
-Mediocre since then (no votes)

Then obviously he missed the first 4 games of the season. So you can say he was hugely influential for half of this season and a bit of a non factor for the rest. Serviceable but not game changing/winning.

Rozee is a vastly more damaging player than Sam Walsh. As is Rankine

Rozee is a vastly more damaging player than Sam Walsh. As is Rankine
And yet even after major back surgery, Walsh won the best player of the finals last year and was then the betting favourite leading into the season for the Brownlow before his back injury struck again...

Sounds like a plodder

If he gets a clean run at it in the pre season for the first time in 3-4 years I'd guarantee he'd be right up there for top players in 2025.

And yet even after major back surgery, Walsh won the best player of the finals last year and was then the betting favourite leading into the season for the Brownlow before his back injury struck again...

Sounds like a plodder
Walsh was favourite for the Brownlow leading into the season?

On what planet were you living?

Walsh was favourite for the Brownlow leading into the season?

On what planet were you living?

Don't know if it's possible to go back and check the odds at the time but he was in general neck and neck or ahead or ur beloved Nicky after his finals series last year.

A fully fit Walsh is still an absolute A-grader, a labouring Walsh still a very good player.

Don't know if it's possible to go back and check the odds at the time but he was in general neck and neck or a head or ur beloved Nicky after his finals series last year.

A fully fit Walsh is still an absolute A-grader, a labouring Walsh still a very good player.
Um....

Josh Jenkins predicting Sam Walsh to win the Brownlow Medal does not make him the 'Brownlow Medal favourite'....

Um....

Josh Jenkins predicting Sam Walsh to win the Brownlow Medal does not make him the 'Brownlow Medal favourite'....
Okaay Ok GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Sam Walsh be the GOAT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back