Carlton are legit flag threats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrates me in these sorts of conversations when people keep referring to the last couple of seasons as if they are going to repeat like some sort of groundhog day.

"Carlton can't beat top 4 sides" kind of statements.

I remember in 2010, the same things were being said of Collingwood vs. St Kilda or Geelong, after failing to beat them for a couple of years and then losing to each of them first time round in that season.

Guess what... things change... Carlton are on the right path, last year has nothing to do with what they will do this year. They will notch up wins against last years giants, and there is a good chance that will be as early as this Friday night.

That said, with St Kilda back to being irrelevant again, Carlton are my number 1 hated side and I hope we destroy them every time we face them this year, more than any other team.

Frustrates me in these sorts of conversations when people keep referring to the last couple of seasons as if they are going to repeat like some sort of groundhog day.

"Carlton can't beat top 4 sides" kind of statements.

I remember in 2010, the same things were being said of Collingwood vs. St Kilda or Geelong, after failing to beat them for a couple of years and then losing to each of them first time round in that season.

Guess what... things change... Carlton are on the right path, last year has nothing to do with what they will do this year. They will notch up wins against last years giants, and there is a good chance that will be as early as this Friday night.

That said, with St Kilda back to being irrelevant again, Carlton are my number 1 hated side and I hope we destroy them every time we face them this year, more than any other team.

Finaaly an opp fan with some intelligence.
Good post :thumbsu:

Depth is poor, what are you on about?
Solid 6-8 team but no more. Top end are excellent but bottom end are not a threat.
This happened last year. They looked good beating up on rubbish teams but didnt get 1 win against the top 4. Cant see enough relative improvement for that to change.
Don't buy the hype.

Oh I can not wait to get a hold of your mob in round 14. Can not wait.

Maybe its because its round 2, and weve won against 2 average sides, but im still pretty excited given what weve seen. Itll be a great test for both sides on Friday night. From memory we lost by 29 and 18 points against the pies last year? By no stretch were these shamings, but I never felt as if we had a chance of winning those games. Carlton can lose and still be a flag threat, but we need to look like winning, and look like the pies' equal.

If you dont see a scope for the blues to improve on last year then you are simply not looking hard enough. Waite and Jamo were huge losses, and i think alot of people who know what they are talking about, and not just being vehemently anti-Carlton, would agree that we are a much better side with Waite in. Not our best player, but structurally so important. Kreuzer looks as if he is going to become an absolute monster, with that knee an issue of the past. We have finally assembled a competitive backline, we have three forwards capable of kicking 50 goals in a year (plus Waite), and so much is made of our midfield.

We have the tools, we now need to translate that to onfield performance, and that time is now, or else well still just be a good 5th team.

As Sticks says, We are Carlton. F*ck the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you dont see a scope for the blues to improve on last year then you are simply not looking hard enough. Waite and Jamo were huge losses, and i think alot of people who know what they are talking about, and not just being vehemently anti-Carlton, would agree that we are a much better side with Waite in. Not our best player, but structurally so important. Kreuzer looks as if he is going to become an absolute monster, with that knee an issue of the past. We have finally assembled a competitive backline, we have three forwards capable of kicking 50 goals in a year (plus Waite), and so much is made of our midfield.

We have the tools, we now need to translate that to onfield performance, and that time is now, or else well still just be a good 5th team.

Well said!! We definitely look like we are capable of taking on the big 3 with the team we have at the moment.

Looking forward to the game against the pies to see if we can take it to the next level.

Cmon the Blues!!

Fixed that for you.

Carlton, like West Coast, Essendon, Freo etc. aren't going to convince anyone of their finals pedigree until they start performing in big finals.
What have Hawthorn proved over these teams? Yes they won in 2008 but how many players from that side are playing these days?

the way i see it, carlton could possibley arse it all the way to the finals by knocking off one of the either haw or geel in an absolutely momentum motivated over umpired BS game, if the prelims are coll v carl and haw v geel, it will be a coll vs haw/geel GF. crowd/umpire momentum for carlton in a carl v coll match will be limited, but carl could beat haw or geel in a prelim with a few early howler umpiring decisions followed by a steady 70/30 percent of 50/50 decisons all the way to the end of the game for a BS carlton win which would make for a boring one sided 40+ point win to whoever were to play calton in the GF

the way i see it, carlton could possibley arse it all the way to the finals by knocking off one of the either haw or geel in an absolutely momentum motivated over umpired BS game, if the prelims are coll v carl and haw v geel, it will be a coll vs haw/geel GF. crowd/umpire momentum for carlton in a carl v coll match will be limited, but carl could beat haw or geel in a prelim with a few early howler umpiring decisions followed by a steady 70/30 percent of 50/50 decisons all the way to the end of the game for a BS carlton win which would make for a boring one sided 40+ point win to whoever were to play calton in the GF

:eek: this is the most stupid thing I have ever read on this forum. :thumbsu:

best post in thread, only way Carlton make it to the GF is through the umpires and good luck if they play us in the prelim.

What have Hawthorn proved over these teams? Yes they won in 2008 but how many players from that side are playing these days?

Hawthorn won 18 H&A games and came within a kick of making the GF last year, then knocked off Collingwood in Rd 1 and nearly Geelong in Rd 2.

They also have 14/22 players from the 2008 GF side still on the list (+ Burgoyne). Carlton by comparison have one player from the 2005/6 GFs and another from the 2002/3 GFs and the rest of the list with precious little real finals experience.

Hawthorn were the clear #3 in 2011 and to date I don't think anyone else has shown enough to suggest that they have gone past them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back