Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

One was injuried the other wasn’t

And Blitz didn’t even run towards the dog ruckman before he decided to sink his knee into his stomach

Should get a fine at least
Nah he will get a week. The media will make sure of it. Day probably will as well who's been our best player this year. It will just weaken us even further for next week and not make for good viewing.

well look who decided to show up jim carrey GIF

Sums up today for me.

I was about ready to egg his house after he spoiled Stewies mark and it nearly turned into a goal against but he recovered.

He doesn't hold out SDK or Kolo for my money though
Sav was playing in a decimated defence group, and with the reinforcements to day, he looked more comfortable. understandably.

Opposition forwards will not like to get in his way as he is very big. And unpredictable.

Nah he will get a week. The media will make sure of it. Day probably will as well who's been our best player this year. It will just weaken us even further for next week and not make for good viewing.
Going to be such a gun that Day.

Looking at the Rohan tackle - all he really did was hang on while the momentum swung him around. I'd be surprised to see a player get rubbed out for that. Just unlucky with the angles of momentum and he was only 50% responsible for that.
Dumb not to let go when the ball fell out right in front of him, no need to keep going.

I was there. The differences after half time:

* we sent the ball forward from the centre bounce in contrast to the first half;

* our forwards and mids swarmed all over the Hawks players in a manner reminiscent of last year.

* thus whereas in the first half the ball came straight back out we were able to hold it in.

Just why things clicked is a mystery, but players hardly sighted to date this year clicked, notably Close. And we started to hit targets at last.

Henry will be good for us. Bowes was awful early and is still playing like a bloke with a weight on his shoulders, he started to do some useful things.

Was really pleased to see Chris Scott call out the Lloyd Meek knee into Mark Blicavs. It was a deliberate action that can cause serious injury and how the umpires who were right there didn't deem it to be free kick astounds me.
Meek should be cited and suspended as he did it later in the game against Stanley also. Its all well and good banning the bump to protect the head but this illegal action could cause serious internal and long standing injuries also.
PS - I think we saw the real Geelong today in the second half.

Didn’t even look at the ball just laid his knee right into Blitz
It was a poor split second reaction to the oncoming player.
Going to be such a gun that Day.
He is. We really can't afford our good players missing footy right now. Mitch Lewis being out has crucified our forward line. It's absolutely horrible without him. Showed today what a potent forward line looks like and what we need to get to in the next 12-24 months. Sicily also should not be playing Key back either. He's too loose and wants to do his own thing and he got his arse handed to him today. Should really be like Tom Stewart is for you guys. Leave the big forwards for guys like Grainger Barass or Blanck who should be playing.

It was a poor split second reaction to the oncoming player.
He is. We really can't afford our good players missing footy right now. Mitch Lewis being out has crucified our forward line. It's absolutely horrible without him. Showed today what a potent forward line looks like and what we need to get to in the next 12-24 months. Sicily also should not be playing Key back either. He's too loose and wants to do his own thing and he got his arse handed to him today. Should really be like Tom Stewart is for you guys. Leave the big forwards for guys like Grainger Barass or Blanck who should be playing.
”oncoming “ player at walking pace towards the contest, one had eyes only for the ball the other saw a chance to throw a needless knee into another player without watching the ball

Yeah he should have just allowed Blicavs to run into him. I get why he did it (to protect himself) but went about it the wrong way. Carrying on like it was a dog act and he did it intentionally is just silly. Had he been leaping to contest the ball is it still a dog act? It's not just to clarify.

Well the AFL need to make it clear you can put the knee up to protect yourself in all instances whilst rucking. Then it will be clear that all ruckman in the comp to just go in knees up in every contest to protect oneself.

Was really pleased to see Chris Scott call out the Lloyd Meek knee into Mark Blicavs. It was a deliberate action that can cause serious injury and how the umpires who were right there didn't deem it to be free kick astounds me.
Meek should be cited and suspended as he did it later in the game against Stanley also. Its all well and good banning the bump to protect the head but this illegal action could cause serious internal and long standing injuries also.
PS - I think we saw the real Geelong today in the second half.
Bloody oath.

The only thing stopping the AFL penalizing this is fear of creating another grey area in the game regarding raising the knee in ruck contests. (Which has been done forever for self protection)

But this year I've seen deliberate kneeing to hurt an opponent. It's bullshit. Nothing grey about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last half was the last half of last year.

The first half was the first half of last year.

Yeah but id rather be strong finishes - real strong finishes

Geel for years decades 70s - 80s were known as front runners - play dazzling football to half time and then capitulate - and supporters knew - or had it in the back of their head - it could happen

The Cats of the last 20 years - apart from leading the comp in every stat - flags won - games won etc etc etc - but Geel are very powerfull finishes - the Cats come home like Tulloch - and i love that

Yeah he should have just allowed Blicavs to run into him. I get why he did it (to protect himself) but went about it the wrong way. Carrying on like it was a dog act and he did it intentionally is just silly. Had he been leaping to contest the ball is it still a dog act? It's not just to clarify.

I dont think it was deliberate but it was reckless. You cant lift your knee like that and hit the other ruckman there its like the bump rules now if your bump hits the head even if theres no intent you are gone. He should get a week or two.

I dont think it was deliberate but it was reckless. You cant lift your knee like that and hit the other ruckman there its like the bump rules now if your bump hits the head even if theres no intent you are gone. He should get a week or two.
It’ll be interesting if there will be a crackdown on it , it’s concerning that it appears to keep happening to our rucks

Watching that third quarter was full of catharsis. To be down and then level with a Hawthorn that is essentially tanking was terrifying.

We get to rekindle the dream that our best is good enough. Its crazy what winning the ball can do. Turns out if we get that area of the ground right everything else we have comes together. We still have a lot of players down from their last years form especially on the ball.

Scott must have felt amazing at three quarter time, the players' body language was 500% better after a quarter of football.

All might not be lost. Hopefully we can build up some good form before we play someone of note.

In his playing days your pigeon chested punk of a coach came out in the 08 grand final and sniped our best player at the time to reduce his impact, so there's every reason to think he sent out your oaf ruckman to do the same today.

Being at the game and reading the game day thread at half time I was shocked at the Bowes statements.
Not saying it was noticeable how bad he was at the ground.
But his second half was outstanding, one thing I noticed last week against GC was he’s happy to get his hands dirty and get physical.
Something I didn’t know he had it in him

Being at the game and reading the game day thread at half time I was shocked at the Bowes statements.
But his second half was outstanding, one thing I noticed last week against GC was he’s happy to get his hands dirty and get physical.
He looks nervous to me. When he forgets that he might stuff up he looks really good.

He's good at the small team things.
He'll get better as he adjusts to our style when it's in full-on mode

Dog act. Did it multiple times. The blokes a dog

I gotta say, I really dislike the Cats fans crowing about how they never doubted the result/coach/players and having a crack at those who have made negative comments.

We just succumbed to Gold Coast in one of the worst efforts I've ever seen from the Cats and the first half today was really more of the same, again with Cameron making the scoreboard look somewhat less disastrous than the play.

Also, smashing Hawthorn after half time doesn't make that deplorable first half acceptable. Indeed, it raises the question of how the same players on the same day against the same opposition can be so atrocious in the first half and so good in the second half. E.g. what excuse do Danger and Guthrie have for their F grade efforts in the first half, given how they played after that? Why was Stengle literally just standing around not chasing before half time but manic after it? Etc.

Last week and the first half today were far, far below standard and quite clearly not part of some brilliant masterplan. Wouldn't be surprised if CS finally took the gloves off at half time and gave the players a bit of a roast.

Thank **** someone seems to have found a way to jump start the 2023 model, anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Back