Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys picked it well during the week.

This result proves many things, mainly that I have no idea how good we are.
More importantly, we are the best team in it this year, and throroughly deserve to be in the GF and to win it.

The only negative for me was Holmes- who wears that #9 really well- and could be missed if a true Hammy.
The positives were overwhelming.

ALL the fears I had about:
  • the second bye- we were as fresh and hungry as possible
  • Charlie Cameron- Jed Bews was fantastic
  • Hipwood McStay, and Joe Daniher- KOLO proved why I have always rated his importance to our team, DeKoning was scarily cool and good, and I loved the CS tactic of putting Stanley in defence at times when Blicavs rucked.-
  • Neale- another perfect masterful coaching display- although Neale had many possessions, he was always hassled by the rotation of our stoppers on him.

It's a beautiful prospect of studying our next opposition, and watching them maul each other.

I'm rapt that this GF will hopefully see our Guthrie brothers be the successful brothers next week. Will it be against the McCartin brothers or the Daicos brothers?

Neale had 20 for the game. Started strong with a few clearances when Brisbane were getting a lot of i50s, but ultimately only had 6 centre clearances and 3 inside 50s (and 0 stoppage clearances). Thats a strong team defense that completely shut him out.

If we go in unchanged next week do we really have 380+ games finals experience? Think I counted 384. 385 with a sub used?

Dahl, Parf and Higgins have both played 13 finals. Menegola 16. Dunno if we can get to 400 for it 😂

If Holmes misses, I would pick Menegola as the replacement. Neither Menegola nor Parfitt have Holmes' speed, but Menegola has the elite endurance needed to play wing. He averages 22.37 disposal a game and hits the scoreboard—that is excellent for a winger. His size also offers some flexibility. Bringing in Parfitt will involve moving pieces around, and I'd prefer stability at this stage. This is no criticism of Parfitt, it is just structural. Whatever the case, two out of Holmes, Menegola, O'Connor, and Parfitt, will miss out, and both will be very unlucky.

Great win and a brilliant season. Hopefully next week is the crowning touch.

Last edited:
One thing that pissed me off was our boys going hard at the contest when we’re 72 points up with 10 mins to go.

Selwood got a corkie from Zuthrie (hard enough to even make him grimace and feel at his quad). Danger copped some heat on his already strapped elbow. Bews copped a knock to his already-strapped shoulder. Won’t result in them being unable to play next week, but enough to result in small niggles turning into something painful enough to influence their impact in the GF.

Seriously- we should have been having 5 on the interchange bench through the last 10 mins of that game and telling everyone to not go too hard.

Agreed especially on the Selwood one. He didn't need to go back out there.

You guys picked it well during the week.

This result proves many things, mainly that I have no idea how good we are.
More importantly, we are the best team in it this year, and throroughly deserve to be in the GF and to win it.

The only negative for me was Holmes- who wears that #9 really well- and could be missed if a true Hammy.
The positives were overwhelming.

ALL the fears I had about:
  • the second bye- we were as fresh and hungry as possible
  • Charlie Cameron- Jed Bews was fantastic
  • Hipwood McStay, and Joe Daniher- KOLO proved why I have always rated his importance to our team, DeKoning was scarily cool and good, and I loved the CS tactic of putting Stanley in defence at times when Blicavs rucked.-
  • Neale- another perfect masterful coaching display- although Neale had many possessions, he was always hassled by the rotation of our stoppers on him.

It's a beautiful prospect of studying our next opposition, and watching them maul each other.

I'm rapt that this GF will hopefully see our Guthrie brothers be the successful brothers next week. Will it be against the McCartin brothers or the Daicos brothers?

Good summary, and acknowledgement of the coaching.

To put it nicely, on a weekly basis there are those that are overly optimistic and those that are under optimistic.
Each view needs the other, so your usual summary of the opposition has provided balance.

Good summary, and acknowledgement of the coaching.

To put it nicely, on a weekly basis there are those that are overly optimistic and those that are under optimistic.
Each view needs the other, so your usual summary of the opposition has provided balance.
Appreciate that.

One thing that pissed me off was our boys going hard at the contest when we’re 72 points up with 10 mins to go.

Selwood got a corkie from Zuthrie (hard enough to even make him grimace and feel at his quad). Danger copped some heat on his already strapped elbow. Bews copped a knock to his already-strapped shoulder. Won’t result in them being unable to play next week, but enough to result in small niggles turning into something painful enough to influence their impact in the GF.

Seriously- we should have been having 5 on the interchange bench through the last 10 mins of that game and telling everyone to not go too hard.
I know how you feel, but going at it until the siren is the only way to go if the GF is next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from a non medical person...

There is a discussion that the ping he felt and the cramping he got was not a soft tissue tear per se but more a neuronal spasm from his lower back that manifested itself as a hammy tear.

Holmes has had this issue this year apparently and this was a reoccurence of it.

If indeed this accurate, ice on the hammy would do SFA as the origin and cause of the issue is a nerve impingement in the lower back not the soft tissue of the hammy.

GO Catters

So it might be that his body was effin with his brain, just for kicks. :winkv1:

The lack of faith in the kid from other fans has been pretty surprising to me. He reminded me very much of Menzel before he was injured. Was always clearly going to be an important player, and someone you just needed to trust in and give him the time to get back to his best. He hasn't even come close to reaching his ceiling yet. I'll have him in the side every week, regardless of form, for at least a season post-injury. Those injuries can really set players back for months. Because you know what he's capable of, it's the job of the club to help him get back to that level and it will pay dividends when he does. Love the kid.
He might have the fewest physical attributes apart from stamina, but he might be our purest footballer. He has to do it with his IQ and his courage. :thumbsu:

I know I've liked him from the beginning. :coolv1:

Last edited:
Miers absolutely had a shocking start last night... Easily looked our weakest link.

Credit to him that he come very good after 1/4 time though.
He is used in link up play and sometimes thats not his strength. His strength is his goal kicking. That set shot and his snap NEVER looked like missing.

307099958_1837711213240723_6078467543030090495_n.jpg

The lack of faith in the kid from other fans has been pretty surprising to me. He reminded me very much of Menzel before he was injured. Was always clearly going to be an important player, and someone you just needed to trust in and give him the time to get back to his best. He hasn't even come close to reaching his ceiling yet. I'll have him in the side every week, regardless of form, for at least a season post-injury. Those injuries can really set players back for months. Because you know what he's capable of, it's the job of the club to help him get back to that level and it will pay dividends when he does. Love the kid.
Interesting to me is he is kinda a bit like a reverse Stevie J. Johnson was forward for so long in his career before gradually moving to midfield.

Miers has been a HF/Mid from the start yet last night showed when he goes forward he is in the right spots to make things happen and his kicks at goal, like Johnsons, are never in doubt.

Wonder if Miers ceiling is to become an elite mid, or an elite forward. Currently has incredible stamina and goal nous.

Just got a call from someone suggesting that Stewart has / will be cited for a sling tackle.

Anyone recall the incident?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was paid a dangerous tackle free kick against Stewart in I think the first quarter.

Brisbane player took the kick and played out the game. Wasn't even assessed for a concussion.

Should stay as a free kick and that's it.

Was paid a dangerous tackle free kick against Stewart in I think the first quarter.

Brisbane player took the kick and played out the game. Wasn't even assessed for a concussion.

Should stay as a free kick and that's it.

The issue isn’t whether the player is concussed though is it? It’s either a sling tackle or it’s not?

Let’s hope nothing comes of it. Rayner was the last to get suspended but was the player concussed - can’t recall?

Feel like this was a make up for the horrid call that robbed Stewart of the goal 1 minute prior.
And Stengle a minute prior to that when he was the one with eyes on the ball and got called for "holding" his opponent who wouldn't have known where or when the ball would arrive

I agree with Cam and last night Blicavs was back to his absolute best with that stuff too. Oh and Tuohy. He was everywhere.

But the man that comes to mind in that area who I've never seen anyone bring up is Mitch Duncan, in this defensive winger/attacking half back flanker role. He's been great at getting the tap on or the forward handball, or even a spoil/defensive effort to launch our momentum. Lots of unheralded but fully committed and effective work. His late career finals have been heart and soul, much better than during his peak years in fact.
these are his peak years

Well that was rather satisfying, to put it mildly.
Just a clinical performance right across the board, Danger turned the clock back, kicked us off and everybody jumped on board. Defence was superb (arguably Kolodjashni's best game) Lions are the second best offensive team, and if not for a few junk time goals would probably have been held to around thirty points, can't ask for more then that.

Fingers crossed for Holmes.

YEAAAAH BABYYYYY!

Let’s send out Joel the way he deserves.

P.S. Kolo doubters form an orderly queue.

Just can't help yourself can you.

The issue isn’t whether the player is concussed though is it? It’s either a sling tackle or it’s not?

Let’s hope nothing comes of it. Rayner was the last to get suspended but was the player concussed - can’t recall?

I just had another look at the Rayner one. Ben Brown was down with blood down his face and had to be treated. Came back and played on though.

Last night the Brisbane player jumped back up and took the kick immediately. If Cotchin plays after the bump on Shiel, no way does Stewart miss. And yes I know different incidents but still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back