Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is saying Hardie’s disposal isn’t up to it? His disposal is easily above average.
A few in the VFL thread are saying he makes costly mistakes ect.

We are clearly struggling in the midfield. We have a player who is dominating in the midfield in the VFL. Surely he is at least tried in the seniors.

Starting Bowes as a sub was also ridiculous. Are they being clowns on purpose or what? None of it makes sense.

However Stengle and Close look more likely to take marks inside 50 right now.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean the structure is wrong. Jez hasn’t fired a shot since the Carlton game. Ollie has been down compared to his start of the season. We all see that Hawk cannot impact contests. Port and GWS in particular have put a lot of work into Miers to limit his effectiveness inside 50. And the midfield is getting smashed, or a generous interpretation getting smashed for a quarter or two and then working hard to be competitive, meaning the forwards are often getting rushed inside 50s.

Successfully at Kardinia Park?
Yup, as recently as last night! I accept you said you haven’t seen the game but Hogan, Riccardi and Cadman gave us a massive headache.

Honestly we've essentially lost our 3 best mids from the 2022 Premiership season, and it's showing badly.
Selwood retired, Danger can barely get on the park and Cam Guthrie feels like he's played as many AFL games as I have since the flag.
It's an enormous hole to fill, especially since we lacked depth in that area anyway.
IF we can get Danger back and keep him fit and IF Cuthrie can find his way back into form then with the trajectory of Holmes and honest battling/endeavour of Atkins, Bruhn and Clark, then I think we could turn things around, atleast to a point.
Our backline looks woeful when there's no pressure on the ball carrier and our forward is inept unless we can get some free open looks, we NEED to start winning the midfield battle and right now it's so far beyond us.

Plenty of teams have played and do play three talls.
The three tall forwards thing isn't an issue. Hawkins cannot jump to take a mark and has very little mobility, Cameron plays as a rover like a second Gryan Miers), leaving Neale as the second tall forward. Hawkins was ok last night, Cameron was not, Neale was not great.

A few in the VFL thread are saying he makes costly mistakes ect.

We are clearly struggling in the midfield. We have a player who is dominating in the midfield in the VFL. Surely he is at least tried in the seniors.

Starting Bowes as a sub was also ridiculous. Are they being clowns on purpose or what? None of it makes sense.
I didn't see the vfl game yesterday but from what I've seen of other games, a real feature of Hardie is the fact he so rarely makes errors.
I was keen on seeing him in the AFL side earlier in the season since rewarding a player like that, mature and keen to make a mark, can at the very least offer healthy competition internally. Now it's just obvious that he's not in their plans, so to bring him in would just point to desperation.

All the signs are there that the wheels have fallen off.
Injuries (Danger and Guthrie) again, poor selection, Bowes as a sub, Mannagh can't get a game, Hawkins is playing on fumes and surely must retire come the BYE and now they will probably have MRP issues. There isn't a lot of depth in this team. Plus they have lost 4 of their last 6 games at KP and their only wins have been against the lowly Saints and Roos. The end of an era has finally arrived, i thought it was over back in 2020, they patched things up brilliantly to win a flag in 2022, but the reign of football terror is over. Even the game against the Tigers will be a tough one next week judging by their form against the Bombers.
1716677048432.jpeg

Speaking to a listed player yesterday and Stanley is borderline.

Serious knee issues and not sure he’ll get through the year. Doesn’t completely excuse the on field efforts but does go some way to explaining it.

I suspect we may look at a state league ruckman as back up in that case at the mid year draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because Hardie is not AFL standard.
Lol! Our whole midfield is not AFL standard. Given his ability to win contested possessions (16 yesterday) and clearances (8), even if he managed a fraction of that he'd improve our midfield. A comment like "he is not AFL standard" is irrelevant when you look at the low standard being set by Geelong's current AFL team.

Speaking to a listed player yesterday and Stanley is borderline.

Serious knee issues and not sure he’ll get through the year. Doesn’t completely excuse the on field efforts but does go some way to explaining it.

I suspect we may look at a state league ruckman as back up in that case at the mid year draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The mid season draft is this Wednesday and we've got until Tuesday to open a list spot - with no movement yet, it seems more likely we don't take anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were dominating clearances when Conway was subbed out. He looked pretty pissed off when he was subbed, I reckon he is very competitive and would have had 10 more minutes in him.

After he went off Briggs took over again.

His competitiveness is what I love. He is about 3 years off any decent size or strength to truly compete and begin reaching that potential, but my god, does this young man get everything out of himself out there even at this stage.

It's the thing that I see in him that makes me truly believe we have a future star of the competition. We just need to get him there in the new few years, physically.

I didn't see the vfl game yesterday but from what I've seen of other games, a real feature of Hardie is the fact he so rarely makes errors.
I was keen on seeing him in the AFL side earlier in the season since rewarding a player like that, mature and keen to make a mark, can at the very least offer healthy competition internally. Now it's just obvious that he's not in their plans, so to bring him in would just point to desperation.
We pretty much are desperate.

Lol! Our whole midfield is not AFL standard. Given his ability to win contested possessions (16 yesterday) and clearances (8), even if he managed a fraction of that he'd improve our midfield. A comment like "he is not AFL standard" is irrelevant when you look at the low standard being set by Geelong's current AFL team.
“He’s not AFL standard” but he hasn’t played a game at AFL level yet…
Makes sense.
Was Blitz, Atkins, parfitt AFL standard when they first debuted? Is Mullen?

We have a player dominating in the position that we are struggling in…

The biggest issue I saw with Hardie yesterday is that he was a one way player with a lack of defensive urgency

Even from the first quarter he was jogging through the centre square when GWS had ball in hand & was moving forward - no urgency to push back in defence, pick up an open player etc

He then did the same thing in our forward 50 in the second quarter, giving up the chase close to the goal square; and then a later passage in the second quarter with GWS clearing from defence, Foster out ran him to keep pressuring GWS players along the wing

Mannagh was working himself up & down the ground, pushing back into defence to give an extra body etc

Those are all things coaches notice - if Hardie isn't breaking through for senior selection, maybe it's more about what he's not showing as there's fundamentals you want to see from all players and it was disappointing to not see Hardie pushing harder in some of those areas

And yes Parfitt had faults in his game yesterday, but workrate isn't one of them - if he gets selected next week it's because he didn't stop from the first bounce until the final siren

Lol1!!1

I reckon Geelong right now seem to be a bit stiff with smothers and ricochets. Even if we effect a smother it will probably 70/30 wind up with an opposition player. But we aren't all that good at doing what some club's players can do and kick 'underground' type passes or rolling handballs that avoid what looks like an inevitable smother. And Cats players despite trying might and main, are unable to influence a disposal by getting a hand or part of the body in. Maybe it's because we just don't have the spread and cover other sides seem to have. But it's very frustrating to see.

Agree. luck's a fortune.
i.e. The complete reversal of 22 GF- when we had every bounce on a string.

A good 60 minutes and crappy 40 minutes last night.
They had no Kelly Ash Buckley Brown Ward and Coniglio for the last half.
We got them at the right time and whiffed badly.
Forget the top 4.
I said 7th-8th would be a good result.
Can we do it? Even with the blooding of new youngsters?
Yeah. Of course we can.
Transitioning from Hawk Duncan Tuohy Danger Guthrie Blitz is a big task.
Embrace the changeover as it makes sweeter when we get through to the other side.

FWIW this upcoming week i'd swing a few changes some folk won't like.

Time in the Magoos.
Ollie HENRY. One trick pony. Find some other tricks.

Have a rest.
Ollie DEMPSEY. Maybe... Freshen up the thoroughbred.

Have another rest.
Tom HAWKINS. Last 4-5 weeks have been excruciating to watch. The cliff has finally come.

Mitch DUNCAN... Mmmm. Yep, that cliff is right there. Will he fall off at years' end?

We play the Tigers at HOME.
Easy kill?? Nah. Not for us these days.

Humphries and Clohesy should be getting a look in this week.
Mitch Hardie? Jury is out after watching him again close up. Great at VFL. At AFL??
Mitch Knevitt has been thrown around the park. Not sure what they 9MC/coaches) see him TBH.

Cheers Boys.
Those 3 outta 4 losses in single digits leaves a salty taste.
As my Mrs always says... just spit it out and move on. lol.

Is Neale, Henry, Holmes, Henry, DeKoning a spine for the future? Conway, Clark, Bruhn the starting mids? All played in the same team yesterday for the first time. Avg. games played across the group is 48. Needs to be priority, but needs time.

On SM-G780G using BigFooty.com mobile app

The biggest issue I saw with Hardie yesterday is that he was a one way player with a lack of defensive urgency

Even from the first quarter he was jogging through the centre square when GWS had ball in hand & was moving forward - no urgency to push back in defence, pick up an open player etc

He then did the same thing in our forward 50 in the second quarter, giving up the chase close to the goal square; and then a later passage in the second quarter with GWS clearing from defence, Foster out ran him to keep pressuring GWS players along the wing

Mannagh was working himself up & down the ground, pushing back into defence to give an extra body etc

Those are all things coaches notice - if Hardie isn't breaking through for senior selection, maybe it's more about what he's not showing as there's fundamentals you want to see from all players and it was disappointing to not see Hardie pushing harder in some of those areas

And yes Parfitt had faults in his game yesterday, but workrate isn't one of them - if he gets selected next week it's because he didn't stop from the first bounce until the final siren
So I guess the coaches would notice Cameron jogging after an opponent who has just beaten him in a contest and throwing out a limp arm as another opponent strolls by him. And maybe the coaches would notice no forwards bothering to contest the incoming ball when the game is on the line. These are fundamentals of the game. Hardie yesterday had 36 disposals, 16 contested, 8 clearances and 14 score involvements. Do you think the coaches noticed that?

I know a few are off Knevitt but I think he's a bit of a unique player that we don't really know how to use.

He's not quick and doesn't accumulate, but he runs all day, takes great contested marks, and is a decent kick and set shot. I also think he's generally done ok at senior level so maybe one of those guys who plays better up a level.

If we can find a role that suits him he could really add something. I think if he had a dozen or so games in the seniors fair chance we'd see him do something and it'll give us an idea that would change our whole structure for the better. I just don't think you can pigeon hole him
Agree. I’m a little worried Mitch will look to move without opportunities. We are caught in this transitional phase of our list, where many of the younger cohort are the future but currently not best 22.
With Mitch, the MC also do appear to be uncertain how he could slot in.
IMO the club should look at Darren Milburn as a model - similar size who could play multiple roles but was settled to half back and following stints. Ultimately I think he replaces Kolo or Tuohy.
Give Mitch signals at least that he is part of the future - couple of games might be enough if one of the above comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back