Autopsy Cats lose 4th straight to GWS by 4 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around halftime in the VFL match yesterday I made a similar comment in the that thread, and a reply was that it was an issue he had in the SANFL & when he arrived at the club but is something he's been working on

It's therefore more disappointing to not see it being applied yesterday, because with just a bit more defensive urgency, and working up & down the ground especially back into defence, could be the final push to a senior debut

Hardie's game yesterday reminded me of a VFL watched of Constable a few years back in 2021 - Constable was a ball magnet, the big body mid that we as fans were seemingly screaming out for. In this match against North's VFL team the was one passage that started with a centre bounce, and even with no genuine clean disposal, the North mids moved the ball from the centre square to the 50m mark on the Brownlow wing. Constable stayed out of the contest, waiting in the centre square for a teammate to win the ball & he could then be an open player; meanwhile his direct opponent is in the middle of the contest, moving the ball forward and trying to make something happen for North. Ultimately in the stalemate the umpire called a ball up & Constable had to then get on his bike, run 40m to the contest to man up & be an option for us

After that I wouldn't have minded if we didn't see Constable play a senior match again because it was how much does he really want it

And it was a little similar with Hardie yesterday - why aren't you busting a gut to get back in defence; when your opponent runs off you to present as an opposition in the middle why aren't you running after them to close that down etc, there's just some times he seemed to be taking the easy option

Mannagh is working up & down the ground, giving that extra body where needed; Willis is chasing every loose ball in our forward 50 no matter how close to an opponent or the boundary line, and at one stage when he fumbled the loose ball over the line, he smacked the ground in frustration. Parfitt didn't stop working all day, Clohesy is a hard nut that no matter how many hits he takes, he bounces up and gets straight back into it, and Humphries is a clean player who looks like he'll be a real weapon off halfback
Someone who watched the game and didn’t just look at the stats sheet.

It wasn't a throwaway line, our midfield is that bad, our forward line and backline were making up for it but it's now totally exposed for what it is. I didn't say our midfield is not trying, I just said they are not AFL standard. Only a couple in our midfield rotation would get a game at another AFL club.
It’s bad analysis. As a collective, no, but as a part of a midfield group that had more variety, most would get games. They’re just all too even, show glimpses but none can star in the role because the midfield balance is wrong. I’ll use Atkins again as the example, how good did he look in the 2022 midfield?

The commentators at that game said that Hardie should be playing for the AFL team. Maybe they watched the game as well. It's strange to focus on one negative aspect of a player's game when he is doing so many things right. There is a small number on this list who have got it in for Hardie. I think it's unfair. The comparison with Constable is interesting but also unfair. Constable was on the Geelong list for several seasons before he got a taste of AFL. Yes even poor old Charlie got a go. But it seems that some do not want to even give Hardie a chance. And this is the guy who has been best on the ground for the last two weeks and is leading the VFL coaches voting. Charlie Constable wasn't in the same league. I really hope Hardie gets a chance to show what he can do at AFL level.

Last edited:

It's why I've also described his game yesterday as him being an accumulator but not daamaging

With just watching the game & no stat sheet, I wouldn't have thought it was a 30+ disposal game or one that screams "get me into the seniors now"

It also seems that some view him as this big bodied mid in the mould of Dangerfield - we need to remember he's not around that 190cm, 95+kg mark, instead he's Tanner Bruhn size at 185cm, and based on last year's weights, the 180cm Atkins has a few KG on him

But how do we know the coaches haven't been speaking to him about his game, what they want to see from him and his not quite doing that which is why he's not getting selected?

Watching today's VFL game, the one thing that stuck in my mind about Hardie's game was the lack of defensive urgency across the match - all too often he was jogging on his own through the centre square with no urgency to pick up an opposition player, he was caught flat footed at stoppages a few times, and when he was then asked to play forward in the second quarter he gave up the chase close our goal square

No doubt he's an accumulator, but he didn't come across as a damaging player - got a taste of why he hasn't been selected for the seniors
Watching VFL games there is a huge drop off in urgency generally.
Hardie hardly caught my eye despite accumulating possessions.
Mannagh Willis Humphries showed zip that caught my eye.
Jeka appeared laconic due to comfortably handling KPD role.
Tempted to manage Jack Henry and try Jeka in defense.
Hard to determine performance due to VFL standard opponent.
Coaches get to see these guys against AFL level teammates.

Thats a guess. You have no idea if said someone would have a long term future or not. Its worth a punt.

Come on now. What ruck playing VFL has come in and had a big impact immediately? Eg Marshall was recruited as a 21 year old and it still took him 3 years to become a regular.

You either go for a talented youngish ruck like Kuol Mun or Pike who are years away. Or you bring in a Fort or Naismith type that are bog ordinary.

I see no point getting the second type. There will be more options of the first type at the end of the year because we can look at trades and it doesn't require us to force someone into early retirement.

You speak the truth. This occurred not more than 20 metres from me, and absolutely lacked aggression or any forward thinking, nouse, effort or skill. GWS backs were great, underestimated. Rohan would not have stood idly by, and made a contest at least.
Stengle was spewing, and earlier Stewart gave the backs an absolute spray.
Turning on each other when the wheels fall off.

BTW: Pretty sure you can't quote sight challenged Freddy anymore: not PC apparently.
here here. the coaches box has a lot of work to do. our skills are shocking, and our gameplan execution non-existant.

(but PC can die a death, as long as people as respectful to others that's all that matters.)

Whilst we know that Conway has huge potential he is injury-prone and his stamina has to be improved. Keiren Briggs was the GWS best player. He had 44 hit outs and 24 disposals 80% gametime. Conway had 17 hitouts and 11 disposals and looked very one paced. Keiren is not that good.

The club must reinforce the ruck position as Stanley will be gone and Conway is an unknown quantity.

Nah Briggs is excellent. Hugely underrated. He had his way with Conway last night. Conway is going to be quality but he isn't there yet.

I think our run home is pretty soft, so we'll probably still end up in the top 8, but our midfield just cannot compete with the midfielders in the top sides. Paddy will add some grunt when he comes back, but that will be papering over the cracks. Conway is going to be a very good ruckman but he's still developing. I hope the club can recruit some gun midfielders into the side in the future. That will take the pressure off the likes of Parfitt, Bruhn, Bowes, & Atkins who will then be able to play roles that suit their strengths better. We are so close to having a kick-ass top 4 side, but yet so far. We have a good mix of young players coming up, but the side needs a couple of elite midfielders in their prime. Maybe some of our current young guys can develop to that level (like Clark) in future seasons, but that won't help us this year.

Bowes is being massively overrated in here. His defensive work in midfield has been non-existent and he makes really poor decisions with the ball in hand.

I think he needs to go back to half back because he's a good half back and seems to use the ball better with less pressure coming out of the back half.

I'd prefer to rotate Mullin through the middle than Bowes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commentators at that game said that Hardie should be playing for the AFL team. Maybe they watched the game as well. It's strange to focus on one negative aspect of a player's game when he is doing so many things right. There is a small number on this list who have got it in for Hardie. I think it's unfair. The comparison with Constable is interesting but also unfair. Constable was on the Geelong list for several seasons before he got a taste of AFL. Yes even poor old Charlie got a go. But it seems that some do not want to even give Hardie a chance. And this is the guy who has been best on the ground for the last two weeks and is leading the VFL coaches voting. Charlie Constable wasn't in the same league.

It's why I've also described his game yesterday as him being an accumulator but not daamaging

With just watching the game & no stat sheet, I wouldn't have thought it was a 30+ disposal game or one that screams "get me into the seniors now"

It also seems that some view him as this big bodied mid in the mould of Dangerfield - we need to remember he's not around that 190cm, 95+kg mark, instead he's Tanner Bruhn size at 185cm, and based on last year's weights, the 180cm Atkins has a few KG on him
But Atkins is neither an accumulator or damaging. He can tackle if he can catch his opponent but he does little else. Any decent midfielder would add more than Atkins. I rate Parfitt and O'Connor ahead of Atkins and they got dropped from the team. Dangerfield is a class above our current midfielders but he is rarely on the park.

The commentators at that game said that Hardie should be playing for the AFL team. Maybe they watched the game as well. It's strange to focus on one negative aspect of a player's game when he is doing so many things right. There is a small number on this list who have got it in for Hardie. I think it's unfair. The comparison with Constable is interesting but also unfair. Constable was on the Geelong list for several seasons before he got a taste of AFL. Yes even poor old Charlie got a go. But it seems that some do not want to even give Hardie a chance. And this is the guy who has been best on the ground for the last two weeks and is leading the VFL coaches voting. Charlie Constable wasn't in the same league. I really hope Hardie gets a chance to show what he can do at AFL level.
Referencing VFL commentators as a source of authority is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

here here. the coaches box has a lot of work to do. our skills are shocking, and our gameplan execution non-existant.

(but PC can die a death, as long as people as respectful to others that's all that matters.)
It was interesting because there were period of the game where our skills looked great, pressure was hot, and our game-plan worked beautifully. Agree the coaches have work to do.

(btw PC literally means being respectful to others)

A couple of things
What’s the bet those commentators haven’t watched everyone of Hardie’s games unlike the MC and a number of posters here? And when did commentators become the go to experts on who should be in the team, particularly amateur ones at VFL level?

Also Constable had one year development in the VFL before debuting in rd 1 the following year, not the several years you claim.

I’m not sure Hardie is going to make it at AFL level, but I’m not against him being given a chance considering the current state of our midfield.

Bowes is being massively overrated in here. His defensive work in midfield has been non-existent and he makes really poor decisions with the ball in hand.

I think he needs to go back to half back because he's a good half back and seems to use the ball better with less pressure coming out of the back half.

I'd prefer to rotate Mullin through the middle than Bowes.
This is just standard bigfooty behavior. When we lose it’s ’coaches Arrogance cost us by not playing Bowes, Parfitt, O’Conner etc’
Then they play and is ‘Bowes, Parfitt, O’Conner aren’t AFL stardard…’
It’s quite funny and predictable.
I’m with you, Bowes isn’t the answer, he’s a solid player and will probably be better coming off half back in the Duncan role.
Play Mullin as a midfielder and let him chase the ball instead of his player.

No there won't. We don't have any long-term injuries and we're not going to force a player into early retirement so we can pick up the next Darcy Fort.

“Early retirement” and Geelong just don’t go in the same sentence

Geelong was obliterated in that second quarter. GWS 6-5 to Cats 1-2
It wasn't Geelong dropping off, It was GWS going to another level. Geelong no longer has that higher gear. GWS coasted for a while in the second half and almost allowed Geelong to pinch it. When you take into account it was a Geelong home game, and GWS was seriously undermanned due to injuries and suspensions, the close result is extremely flattering for Geelong. Richmond have been terrible all year but they have a few players back and have a superior midfield. It will be a real test for Geelong, even at home. Maybe it's not the time to blood some new talent, maybe it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2243.jpeg
    IMG_2243.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
The sky's not falling in - it's a long season and to shoot your shot and show all your cards at this stage of the season is madness.

Get us to the bye and we'll straighten up for the pointy end. Might not win it, might not even go far, but the last few weeks are an aberration, not the new SOP.

Glass half empty:

• losing four in a row is a disaster
  • we haven’t been able to close out close games three times in four weeks
  • some older players look like they’re just hanging on
  • Jez and Stewart completely off the boil during our losing streak
  • midfield still hugely reliant on Danger to be competitive
  • if Port and GWS were more ruthless they would have been 50-60 points up and we wouldn’t have been able to come back from there.

Glass half full:

• 7-4 is still a very solid foundation
  • the run of six tough games we’ve just played is over now and the fixture is about to start opening up
  • strong chance Holmes, Zuthrie and Miers are currently top 3 in the Carji - younger and mid age players having more of a say than our veterans
  • shocking quarters that have cost us matches aside, we’ve dominated top 6 teams in Port/GWS for large periods of matches
  • the only current top 8 teams we face after the bye are Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood (not counting Freo as Melb should replace them in the 8 this afternoon).

Richmond preview not open yet so will post this here - Shai Bolton won’t play.

Everyone saying we got beaten in the midfield, but I think our defence and attack are now looking worse. Our ability in the air has gone from a strength to a horrendous weakness. SDK skirting around the side of packs and not spoiling contested marks..... Cameron and Hawkins being a non-event..... Neale dropping marks that you would expect an u8b side player to take.

Aleer took more contested marks in the last 2 minutes than any of our players except stengle did all night. And stengle is probably our second shortest player!!! What an embarrassment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back