Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie Henry is certainly way down on the list of issues we have. We have far greater issues that need corrective action.

However...one thing I will say is it's clear why Pies weren't playing him and preferred others, despite Ollie being more talented.

Being a one trick pony, and not being willing to do the defensive stuff does not bode well for a long career in the modern game..

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched the whole game. Didn’t think anyone was terrible. What it came down to in the 2nd half was Saints better inside 50s.

Wilkie took 9 intercept marks, we kept kicking it straight to him. Holmes the worst culprit - 8 turnovers - but he wasn’t alone.

Criticism of Neale, OHenry, Mullin, etc. is very unfair. Felt Neale was very good, and Mullin kept Hill to 10 possies.

Truly has a forward line with Neale Henry and Rohan functioned once this year?

I don't think it has and simply cannot happen again.

Did you watch the game tonight? Geelong was owned by a team that was 14th on the ladder. Your scenarios assume Geelong will flick the switch and start playing good football. There is an obvious fitness problem at the club with few players able to run out a game. At this stage there is nothing we can do about that. First job is to beat WC at home. I'd say that's a 50/50 proposition. Winning a final is fanciful.
I agree with most of this but the eagles game isn’t 50/50.
We aren’t losing that.

But yes, based on last night we aren’t winning a final.

Ollie Henry is certainly way down on the list of issues we have. We have far greater issues that need corrective action.

However...one thing I will say is it's clear why Pies weren't playing him and preferred others, despite Ollie being more talented.

Being a one trick pony, and not being willing to do the defensive stuff does not bode well for a long career in the modern game..

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Henry had more pressure points than Dempsey, Cameron and Mannagh, among others last night.

I get that without hope, watching competitive sport is pretty pointless so hope has a sustaining role for supporters. But this is head in the sand stuff. There is zero chance Geelong can win three finals in a row. Zero. The inconsistency within games, let alone across them, this season proves that.

This is both a personnel but also a killer instinct issue. We have issues with both this year and they are terminal.
I get that it is unlikely. But it isn’t zero. It can’t be zero when you finish top 4.

Assuming we win next week….we will be have more chance than bulldogs in 2016 (nobody thought they would win first week in Perth with underdone players let alone win 4 in a row)…more chance than Collingwood last year (‘who were in terrible form in last month before finals - yes they were lucky to win close finals but they won) and I am sure there are other examples…and this year has been the most topsy Turvey season of all time.

Do I think we will win it…no. I think there are 4 maybe 5 better teams in the finals. Do I have high hopes…no. Does that make it impossible…no

I am not convinced danger, Stewart and Cameron can play 3 outstanding games in a row (only possible if they get a break)…but at the start of each game we will have a chance to win if they do.

Just watched the whole game. Didn’t think anyone was terrible. What it came down to in the 2nd half was Saints better inside 50s.

Wilkie took 9 intercept marks, we kept kicking it straight to him. Holmes the worst culprit - 8 turnovers - but he wasn’t alone.

Criticism of Neale, OHenry, Mullin, etc. is very unfair. Felt Neale was very good, and Mullin kept Hill to 10 possies.
Good post. My re watch also didn’t set off alarm bells. Remembering that saints have won the last 5 including beating the top team…some teams play better when no pressure…they were good on their home deck…

And your comment on those players is correct. No doubt Rohan and o ‘Henry got beaten in the air by Wilkie and that hurt us…but oherny will be good player for us as will neale who did things last night that Hawkins can do for us now…Mullin tagging role was elite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. My re watch also didn’t set off alarm bells. Remembering that saints have won the last 5 including beating the top team…some teams play better when no pressure…they were good on their home deck…

And your comment on those players is correct. No doubt Rohan and o ‘Henry got beaten in the air by Wilkie and that hurt us…but oherny will be good player for us as will neale who did things last night that Hawkins can do for us now…Mullin tagging role was elite
Henrys direct opponent was best on ground. He also short stepped a couple of times. I don't know how you could possibly defend him based on that performance. He was non competitive

Gws have a high gear but their only other gear is carpark speed

They do but they are the only team with the real high gear skill. Everyone else is a battler this year.

Henrys direct opponent was best on ground. He also short stepped a couple of times. I don't know how you could possibly defend him based on that performance. He was non competitive

He was ordinary but rohan was worse and i cant imagine they leavs both out.

How did that happen? Does Corey Enright still have some inside information at the cats? Does he possess some kind of remote that he can turn players off?

Attachments

• IMG_7642.jpeg
    IMG_7642.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 12
I’m thinking Mullin might be our only choice to tag the crap out of Butters in our first final, Butters tore Crows a new pooper last night. Get into the little pricks face from the get go.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I get that it is unlikely. But it isn’t zero. It can’t be zero when you finish top 4.

Assuming we win next week….we will be have more chance than bulldogs in 2016 (nobody thought they would win first week in Perth with underdone players let alone win 4 in a row)…more chance than Collingwood last year (‘who were in terrible form in last month before finals - yes they were lucky to win close finals but they won) and I am sure there are other examples…and this year has been the most topsy Turvey season of all time.

Do I think we will win it…no. I think there are 4 maybe 5 better teams in the finals. Do I have high hopes…no. Does that make it impossible…no

I am not convinced danger, Stewart and Cameron can play 3 outstanding games in a row (only possible if they get a break)…but at the start of each game we will have a chance to win if they do.
Me saying zero is hyperbole but not far off what I think the situation is. I pretty much agree with what you say here. I would have Geelong $20 for the flag at the moment yet Sportsbet has us $9.

There are three distinct but related points for me:

1. The season is wide open
2. The Premier will string together three very good finals performances
3. Geelong is incapable of point 2 and several other clubs are capable.

I agree with points 1 and 2 the first half of point 3 but not the second half.
Everyone is terribly inconsistent this year and no one is really capable (i could show you the records of every top 8 team this year to prove it).
Really this is a badbury year and it will be about who gets hot for a fortnight as consistency wise no one is good enough-by rights it should be an NA flag year.

Me saying zero is hyperbole but not far off what I think the situation is. I pretty much agree with what you say here. I would have Geelong $20 for the flag at the moment yet Sportsbet has us $9.

Id have geelong at $20 but i wouldnt have anyone else including sydney lower than $15. I know thats not how the market works but there is no $5 worthy team in this field.

I think we're good enough at stoppages, and Sydney are bad enough at first quarters, that we can cause the upset

Im not sure we are good enough but their bad q1s help.

Well I was worried about this before the game. The Saints are our hoodoo team. We often get our pants pulled down by them esp at Marvel. We went from rock show to clown show in a half of footy. Bloody embarrassing and deplorable to watch. Its extremely frustrating how we can just wilt under pressure like that and give up a large number of goals in a row. We have to be way better than that and show some mental fortitude in those situations.

I hope the coach and team use this in a positive way as the kick in the pants we need before setting up for finals. We need to be ruthless and work our arses off. Anyone that doesn't subscribe to this and realise its a privilege to play for this club and wear the jumper can GTFO.

Go Cats!!

Last edited:
I agree port are better than syd (but both are frauds like us) i just think AO suits us better than SCG tactically. At SCG it will be a stoppage based game which i dont like us in.

Regardless, both Port’s and Sydney’s midfields will tear us a new one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back