Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

We're upset about last night....but imagine how Saints fans must be feeling.

They'd be lookin at the second half and saying "Why didn't we play like this all season?"

Au contraire - I've had a couple giving me sh*t about how they tore apart a team that thought it'd nab second spot, and how much better they'll be next year after another preseason nailing down their game plan.

I get that without hope, watching competitive sport is pretty pointless so hope has a sustaining role for supporters. But this is head in the sand stuff. There is zero chance Geelong can win three finals in a row. Zero. The inconsistency within games, let alone across them, this season proves that.

This is both a personnel but also a killer instinct issue. We have issues with both this year and they are terminal.

Thats true although i dont really see any other team that doesnt have the inconsistency. And one of them will pinch the flag.

Port are a better team right now and I would rather just not play them
I agree port are better than syd (but both are frauds like us) i just think AO suits us better than SCG tactically. At SCG it will be a stoppage based game which i dont like us in.

Thats true although i dont really see any other team that doesnt have the inconsistency. And one of them will pinch the flag.
We will now see a few times put the foot down.

Au contraire - I've had a couple giving me sh*t about how they tore apart a team that thought it'd nab second spot, and how much better they'll be next year after another preseason nailing down their game plan.

Thats because they are used to mediocrity.

Did you watch the game tonight? Geelong was owned by a team that was 14th on the ladder. Your scenarios assume Geelong will flick the switch and start playing good football. There is an obvious fitness problem at the club with few players able to run out a game. At this stage there is nothing we can do about that. First job is to beat WC at home. I'd say that's a 50/50 proposition. Winning a final is fanciful.
I think you're getting hung up on ladder positions. Saints played well

Last edited:
Even if you discount those (you dont as percentage could still matter big time) his stats arent consistent with going missing. A below aversge game from him but he didnt go missing.

My issue with Cameron's game isn't kicking goals or getting enough disposals, it's what he does with them. A couple of times last night his decision-making killed a couple of promising forward thrusts. That said, he's not at the top of the tree when breaking down the issues that came from last night.

We will now see a few times put the foot down.

Apart from gws im not really sure any other team has the extra gear youre hinting at though. And most are very inconsistent.

This years finals might be an episode of the benny hill show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch the game tonight? Geelong was owned by a team that was 14th on the ladder. Your scenarios assume Geelong will flick the switch and start playing good football. There is an obvious fitness problem at the club with few players able to run out a game. At this stage there is nothing we can do about that. First job is to beat WC at home. I'd say that's a 50/50 proposition. Winning a final is fanciful.
I will give you 50/50 odds that we beat WC. Heck, I’ll even make it 2.10 in your favour because I am feeling generous.

How much do you want to put on it?

How the hell was he going to force the ball to ground when he had the ball kicked on his head, he was in a contest with his man and a free defender floats in to take an easy mark?

He had no chance.

Yes he dropped a mark, and that was a bad error, but the 43 other times it was his teammates fault.

But hey, don’t bother to actually analyse what happened if you can just shoot the easy target.
If its kicked on his head then he can certainly atleast bring the ball to ground rather then let his opponent have an easy win all the time. Ps. He probably should snag some of those marks too as marking is really his only skill at the moment and he cant even do that well.

Apart from gws im not really sure any other team has the extra gear youre hinting at though. And most are very inconsistent.

This years finals might be an episode of the benny hill show.
There are three distinct but related points for me:

1. The season is wide open
2. The Premier will string together three very good finals performances
3. Geelong is incapable of point 2 and several other clubs are capable.

If its kicked on his head then he can certainly atleast bring the ball to ground rather then let his opponent have an easy win all the time. Ps. He probably should snag some of those marks too as marking is really his only skill at the moment and he cant even do that well.
Righteo - 2 v 1 and the ball bombed on his head. Yeah, he should have brought those to ground like no other mid sized forward ever would.

You are letting the hatred blind you.

We’re all armchair experts with a lot of strong opinions, especially after a loss. I don’t think it’s helpful or rational to pinpoint specific players to “never play for the cats again”.

Yes, it was a missed opportunity, but let’s give the saints credit for an amazing half of football. I doubt any other team could have stopped the saints in that half. Everything clicked and bounced their way. We’ve seen flashes of this football all season, but it hasn’t been sustainable for the whole season, hence their ladder position.

There is also no doubt the trip to Perth had an impact. The freo game would have taken a toll physically.

There’s so much more to learn from a loss than a win. And there’s still a good chance to lock in top 4 with no real standout teams in the 8.

Surely Ollie Henry, Knevitt and Mullin cannot play next week. Ollie Henry should not play again in 2024. He just doesn't understand that effort is part of his job description. I don't think Knevitt has what it takes and Mullin is running out of time to show he has something. Our depth is lacking but anyone would be better than these 3 players.
OK : Name them

Righteo - 2 v 1 and the ball bombed on his head. Yeah, he should have brought those to ground like no other mid sized forward ever would.

You are letting the hatred blind you.
Rohan does regularly. He had a poor game last night but rohan is our best player at bringing balls to ground in contests. Its why he is so critical to our foward set up cos cameron and ollie henry and hawkins offer little here. Neale is improving.

And part of the reason henry is in the position he is in is because he doesnt get on his bike and work the lead. He is just one dimensional always wanting it long making him too predictable.

And the blind hatred comment is silly. I think henry has serious talent. But he aint fit enough and is playing in completely the wrong role.

I agree port are better than syd (but both are frauds like us) i just think AO suits us better than SCG tactically. At SCG it will be a stoppage based game which i dont like us in.
I think we're good enough at stoppages, and Sydney are bad enough at first quarters, that we can cause the upset

Call me a conspiracy theorist but someone was setting the Saints up for a big finals series when making this fixture.

8 of the last 9 games of the season at Marvel including an “away” game to Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back