Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

100% noticed some short steps at least once.

The guy has plenty of issues with his game.

I'm not convinced he will ever be anything more than what he is but hopefully he can improve and get the most out of his talent.

Not having any speed is a big issue imo... he can't get separation so he defaults to trying to get the cheapy out the back rather than present.

No size also doesn't help... but If he puts size on he will become even slower.

He can't make himself taller either and a small 189cm for a marking player.

I certainly have less faith in him than many others on here.

I'd love for him to make me eat my words (same thing with Bruhn).
He needs to be able to work up and down the ground more and provide a link between the midfield and forwardline. Work up the wings when needed. Sitting in the goal square doesn't work at his height.

Henry had more pressure points than Dempsey, Cameron and Mannagh, among others last night.
It's easier to get pressure points when you are deliberately 2nd to the ball

OH is best 22 whether many accept that or not. There is simply no better option. That does not make him a great player yet, but the pressure put on him last night by Saints defenders, and by our pressured entries, rendered him ineffective. Anyone criticising his desire or interest is misguided at best. He didn't take some marks he normally would have, but that is not common. Time to accept that our best 22 or 23 is not 2022 level anymore, and that we are one of 12 or so teams that could make the 8. This year, thanks to that exceptional start we had, we are guaranteed top 8, and if all goes well, top 4, but that should not delude us into thinking we can play consecutive 2-3 high quality finals games for wins. We are just too reliant on iffy players.
I love our youth coming through, Humphries, Holmes, DeK, both Ollies, Mannagh, but...
the replacements of Danger, Stanley, Duncan, CGuthrie, Tuohy, Rohan, which are all imminent, will be a challenge.
Neale and Conway are still BIG ? imho

Ok Vdubs, but that didn't respond to what I said at all now did it?

Those bagging on Mullin need to remember that not only did he blanket Hill well, if you guys remember the Port game, I am pretty sure he was the one who came on at around half time and blanketed JHF who tore us a new one in the first half. He is doing exactly what is asked of him if you ask me.
He also played a key part in setting up a goal using his speed in the first half.

It's strange but between him and Knevitt (as fringe players), I'd say Mullin seemed to have the better game sense.

Maybe Knevitt's role wasn't as clear. He took a great contested f50 mark and goal, but that's not exactly what he's in the team for. At times some basic positioning around the midfield contest seemed off. It's frustrating because he has size and endurance, with better craft I think he could become another Smithy- quiet achiever of the midfield.

To me it looks like a confidence issue. You see it a lot with players who are constantly in and out of the team or who don't have a clear role.

Close the book on this year, that was one of the worst performances of the season. So much at stake, but that didn't matter against a team that can't kick a goal to save themselves. Geelong have several players who played in that game that shouldn't be on any list! They might make the top 4, but it will be embarrassing come finals time. Swans, Port or GWS would beat them by 10 goals!

OH is best 22 whether many accept that or not. There is simply no better option. That does not make him a great player yet, but the pressure put on him last night by Saints defenders, and by our pressured entries, rendered him ineffective. Anyone criticising his desire or interest is misguided at best. He didn't take some marks he normally would have, but that is not common. Time to accept that our best 22 or 23 is not 2022 level anymore, and that we are one of 12 or so teams that could make the 8. This year, thanks to that exceptional start we had, we are guaranteed top 8, and if all goes well, top 4, but that should not delude us into thinking we can play consecutive 2-3 high quality finals games for wins. We are just too reliant on iffy players.
I love our youth coming through, Humphries, Holmes, DeK, both Ollies, Mannagh, but...
the replacements of Danger, Stanley, Duncan, CGuthrie, Tuohy, Rohan, which are all imminent, will be a challenge.
Neale and Conway are still BIG ? imho
Yeah soft fixture after 2023 flop helped getting us to finals too. Next year will have a tougher fixture.

Close the book on this year, that was one of the worst performances of the season. So much at stake, but that didn't matter against a team that can't kick a goal to save themselves. Geelong have several players who played in that game that shouldn't be on any list! They might make the top 4, but it will be embarrassing come finals time. Swans, Port or GWS would beat them by 10 goals!
Which players?

Frustrating loss, and I do agree we won't go far this year..

But what a great club. Rebuilding and we will still get top 4.

I think I, like many, have vented frustration, and I agree last night was not good enough..

But what a club to follow...we aren't exactly St.Kilda who are about to watch finals from Bali, we will be there.. again

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get that without hope, watching competitive sport is pretty pointless so hope has a sustaining role for supporters. But this is head in the sand stuff. There is zero chance Geelong can win three finals in a row. Zero. The inconsistency within games, let alone across them, this season proves that.

This is both a personnel but also a killer instinct issue. We have issues with both this year and they are terminal.

But it is an open year….

I am calling total bollix on the notion we are in this ‘open year’.

The absolute best case scenario is we fall into a win in the second week and somehow stumble into a prelim and lose by 12-15 goals.

We all know where this is headed. That is the best case, the worst case involves Hawthorn eliminating us at some point.

But hey I am glad we are mathematically alive. And grateful for that, so I am not really moaning about it. It is pretty remarkable we are playing finals again.

But it is an open year….

The absolute best case scenario is we fall into a win in the second week and somehow stumble into a prelim and lose by 12-15 goals.

We all know where this is headed. That is the best case, the worst case involves Hawthorn eliminating us at some point.

But hey I am glad we are mathematically alive. And grateful for that, so I am not really moaning about it. It is pretty remarkable we are playing finals again.
I completely agree (aside from 15 goal loss in a prelim), but yeah I don't believe we have ever been a contender.

Others clearly disagree and think we can be one of the teams to Bradbury it. I think it's wishful thinking, other several other teams have us covered, they might not be great, but they have us covered.

But if we can win a final (likely a semi) it has been a very succesful year given our list imbalance in terms of age demographic.

Not enough 23-28 players who are in their peak at AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we’ll get a timely jolt after last night.

Head to Sydney - beat Swans on their home deck - get a week off - home prelim at the MCG - and put the fear of god into the remaining finals sides.

I’ve got a funny feeling that we’ve got a few punches to throw yet.

Whatever happens from here, we know where the GF is played. If we can find a path to get there I still think we’re as good a chance as anyone on the last day. Prepare for all scenarios - I think we’re in for a wild finals series.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I like the optimism, but this is not happening. There is literally no point in giving yourself false hope.
Straight sets looms large.

I think people forget we went 7-0 to start the season and have managed the list basically since then to get to the point we're at now.

That's no guarantee we're going to "flick the switch" and take all before us, but reaching 4th with the amount of young guys we've been playing as well as managing for longevity doesn't happen by accident.

I think people forget we went 7-0 to start the season and have managed the list basically since then to get to the point we're at now.

That's no guarantee we're going to "flick the switch" and take all before us, but reaching 4th with the amount of young guys we've been playing as well as managing for longevity doesn't happen by accident.
Good point. As always, great management of the list and overall good management.

We have, in most people eyes, probably exceeded expectations already.

I have been a bit flat since last night, but then I remind myself we are Geelong who will very likely finish top 4, and the Saints, who played their Granny last night, are again missing the finals all together.

Gee we're lucky

I think at one stoppage last night we had Atkins, Duncan, Knevitt and Bowes standing around as the mids.

Naturally, St Kilda won the clearance.

Boy do we need more mids.

Smith is a good start... but still not enough for mine.

That would have been at general stoppage and normally there's more than just 8 players (4 each team) at those stoppage situations - often you see a dozen off players in those situations, so who else was in the area and who was taking the defensive side of the stoppage?

Almost had me there.
I was gonna say the Suns and the Bulldogs games were games we never even fired a shot. Thankfully you included that qualifier.
I just hpe we got our shit game out of the way and we can put in half-decent performances from now on.

Swans should belt us if we got them week 1. Their dip was affordable, and they are back. Their MF strength and depth and class, with Grundy is beyond us this year.

Are they really back?

Last round they just got the win over Collingwood by 3points, after Collingwood had lead for majority of the game

On Friday night against Essendon it took until the 3rd quarter for them to get going & hit the lead - a better team may well have already put them to the sword

Not sure a couple of unconvincing wins counts as being back

Good point. As always, great management of the list and overall good management.

We have, in most people eyes, probably exceeded expectations already.

I have been a bit flat since last night, but then I remind myself we are Geelong who will very likely finish top 4, and the Saints, who played their Granny last night, are again missing the finals all together.

Gee we're lucky

Most people's eyes outside of the Geelong board, perhaps :p

1000014449.png

But it is an open year….

Patently ridiculous statement. "Absolute best case scenario" is we play our best and the other teams in the top 4 play their worst, and we scratch out x amount of finals wins.

The competition simply isn't strong enough for your scenario to be the "absolute best case". It may happen but it would still be closer to worst case than best case.

Is this the new "heavy training block"?
:sweatsmile:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back