Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to say this.

I was at the game. The number of times both O Henry and Neale got into good positions for a kick straight onto their chests, and we instead sent slow high floaters on top of their heads to allow the defenders to easily kill it, was infuriating. I was literally screaming out "NOOO!" as soon as it left the kickers boot over and over again.

I understand the temptation to blame Henry and Neale and the other forwards, but a lot of our F50 delivery was atrocious.
@MisterMarcus Things you cannot see on TV. thanks.
Was it pure foot skill errors or pressure on the kicker?

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Disappointing night. Should have treated it like a final (chance to make top 2 with a home final) but didn't show up in the second half.

We've done remarkably well while in rebuild mode - this season will have a 'Bradbury' premier and we're somehow in the mix, which is a positive.

A couple of observations from the game;

- In the second half, we seemed to be extremely hesitant. Numerous times we stood next to a ground ball without picking it up while StK players 'bodylined' the ball, picking the ball up while running towards their goal. Not sure what was going on; a mental thing? Needed to close the game down to a stoppage contest, but seemed incapable of doing so. This has led to our inability to shut down other teams when they get a run in all year.

- Totally out coached, which is unusual. They came out in the second half and took risks, flooding forward with smalls to negate our intercept game. No response from C Scott or players.

- I think Jack Steele got a case of contagious gastro at half time and told the Cats midfield. Nobody wanted to get within 10m of him in the second half. Can't let class run around unopposed and expect to win.

- O Henry is frustrating. Flies for a lot of marks, but too often doesn't impact the contest and goes to ground. Looks better on the lead, but doesn't do it often enough (or our mids don't lower their eyes enough). Team only has room for one of him or Rowan - not sure which one ATM.

- I haven't seen anything in Knevitt that tells me he is up to it (yet). Has the tools, but seems to drift around ineffectually for 95% of the game.

- People in here questioning Neale surprise me; he makes a contest and has kicked a goal in every game. Our forward line has looked much better with him there instead of Hawkins in 2024. He's young, developing and not perfect (missing that Q4 goal sunk us), but currently the best option by far.

- Great to see our first half lead created by the younger/newer players (Humphries, Bowes, Dempsey, Mannagh)

Our season turned around after a mid-season slump when the coaches took the chance on top performers in the VFL side (Mannagh, Humphries) were given a shot. Two midfielders had 30 possessions and 10 tackles in the VFL this week; why not give them a look in? Get Stewart back behind the ball for the majority of the game.

I wish we had a dominant ruck like Marshall; hopefully one of our prospects steps up in the next year or two.

I haven't been a fan of the 'Get Bailey Smith' option, but am starting to think that his speed and grunting would make us better going forward.

Darcy wilson is not the player we need. We have plenty of players who can play wing. Darcy is also allergic to winning the contested ball.
If COS becomes what we hope he does we won't even remember who Wilson is, and this is coming from someone who liked him at draft time.

The Caddy argument at least has some merit. Quality key forwards are so hard to find, and a key defender vs key forward argument really does come down to personal preference, and the personnel you've got at the time.

Wingman not so much. Ollie Dempsey will end up in the All Australian side one day, and he was poached in the rookie draft.

We've already got Holmes too, and probably end up with Smith. Those are 3 ten year options to play through there, and that's before we even get into the more speculative prospects.

Au contraire - I've had a couple giving me sh*t about how they tore apart a team that thought it'd nab second spot, and how much better they'll be next year after another preseason nailing down their game plan.

I had a couple of Saints fans try to have a go after the game - I just laughed and reminded them that Joel Selwood played in more finals in 16 years than their sorry excuse for a football club in 120+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thats my point..whoever wins the flag will pinch it. No one in the top 8 is really that good. Sydney is a classic example. Which makes it worse if we dont take the door that is ajar. It would be different if there was a standout team.as then we wouldnt win anyway so it would be irrelevant. To me thats exactly what a golden opportunity is but you and i might have different definitions of it.⁰
Whilst it’s true that nobody has played a stand out season, several teams have played very good football at times. And I’d have thought that when our team, in development, has come up against those teams playing their good footy - that they are better than us because they have more complete teams.
I don’t totally discount us, but a lot has to go right for us and everyone has to play their best footy, and really, have we seen most of our players playing their best footy this year? A number have had middling sort of years I’d have thought. And the road to the flag looks pretty tough after losing this weekend.
Still, its not beyond us to pull something out. I’ll remain hopeful and be pleasantly surprised if we can pinch it.

I have only read the first couple of pages of this thread so not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I want to share my thoughts on O.Henry and Rohan. They both simply cannot play together in the same team as Henry completely nullifies Rohan's impact. Whether people want to admit it or not, Rohan plays some great games when Henry is not there because he plays best in the position that Henry seems to be locked into. It brings him into the game. Watch him this season (or even prior seasons) when Henry didn't play. He is involved with his chasing, tackling, his possessions are damaging, defenders panic because of the perceived pressure of a chase down tackle, he can kick goals and isn't afraid to bust a pack or fly for a mark. He is everything Henry is not, AND WE NEED IT. There is no coincidence that we look miles better when Rohan is playing his natural role.

I have only read the first couple of pages of this thread so not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I want to share my thoughts on O.Henry and Rohan. They both simply cannot play together in the same team as Henry completely nullifies Rohan's impact. Whether people want to admit it or not, Rohan plays some great games when Henry is not there because he plays best in the position that Henry seems to be locked into. It brings him into the game. Watch him this season (or even prior seasons) when Henry didn't play. He is involved with his chasing, tackling, his possessions are damaging, defenders panic because of the perceived pressure of a chase down tackle, he can kick goals and isn't afraid to bust a pack or fly for a mark. He is everything Henry is not, AND WE NEED IT. There is no coincidence that we look miles better when Rohan is playing his natural role.

Henry also seems to play better when Rohan isn't there - see last week v Freo as an example.

I agree they can't play in the same 22. They've both had impact as the sub before, if finals were this week I'd play one and start the other as sub. Leaning towards Henry starting and Rohan as sub, with the bonus that Rohan can also play half back if required.

Catempire is the boards mr negative. Every board has one. Nothing wrong with it. We all have our own way of viewing things :)
yeah... ok then....

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say yes. Not to write off COS but Wilson's what we needed

We're very good at developing hard running winger/half forward types with junk late picks. Wilson looks a nice player but we need key position players and midfielders that are much harder to come by with later picks.

Whether they end up as good as we hope is a question but there's no doubt COS and Clark are the types to invest early picks on.

I don't really care about the loss itself. It's a pretty even season and everyone has their ups and downs. But I feel as if we may have shot our momentum in the foot by letting STK back into the game and not having a single answer in the 3rd Q may haunt us come finals (the self-doubt etc). Time will tell.

Jeez those first couple of pages in this thread...

We've had a few tough weeks, especially the trip to Perth last week so was expecting a drop off but not that much.

If Port and GWS probably win next week it's irrelevant for finishing second. It sucked but we'll still be Top 4 and are Sydney playing out of their skin? Hell no.

Just a poor night. Not panicking just yet. It's what happens when you can't rotate and rest some older players like we were last time we were up this high.

COS yes.
Clark questionable for mine.

Clearly the jury is out on both still. But I'm just saying there's not much point in paying up big for flankers or wingers when we've got such a great record of developing those from late picks. At least take a swing at an inside mid or key position player that are much harder to get late.

Clearly the jury is out on both still. But I'm just saying there's not much point in paying up big for flankers or wingers when we've got such a great record of developing those from late picks. At least take a swing at an inside mid or key position player that are much harder to get late.
I agree... somewhat.

COS yes absolutely is the type that requires an early pick investment. Given is took SDK 3 years to break in regularly, I'm fine keeping my powder dry with COS. Even next year will de a development year for him.

Clark is a small tough nut type without much speed or tricks from what I have always seen in him... Those types pop up often later in the draft/rookie drafts compared to the best athletic talls like COS (doesn't mean Clark won't be a good player).

I hope Clark lives up to his draft selection... It isn't looking like a stellar draft anyway after the first few picks.

I'm fine not taking Wilson with the COS pick... although he does look like he will have a very good career.

Henry also seems to play better when Rohan isn't there - see last week v Freo as an example.

I agree they can't play in the same 22. They've both had impact as the sub before, if finals were this week I'd play one and start the other as sub. Leaning towards Henry starting and Rohan as sub, with the bonus that Rohan can also play half back if required.
Yes , I've been banging on about this for some time - you can't play Rohan and Henry in the same side.
They are both stay at home forwards , low possession players who can hit the scoreboard - you can't play two of these types , it's counter productive and deprives you of a player who can play between the arcs.
Rohan can be better defensively but Henry slightly better offensively - take your pick depending on the opposition.

I'd have Henry on a huge running program this preseason - give him the Dempsey treatment.
I think he can contribute up the ground provided he gets rock hard fit.
If he plays more mobile rather than stay at home his marking becomes a significant asset once again.
He has huge potential provided he commits fully to getting fit and adding to his game.

Darcy wilson is not the player we need. We have plenty of players who can play wing. Darcy is also allergic to winning the contested ball.
Watched him play a few times this year -
I don't think he fits purely in the winger category even though he plays that position extremely well. Maybe labelled as "not contested" because of his draft profile.

IMO he is powerful and fast enough that he will end up in the midfield in the contest at some point.

Would say he's a lot more potential as a contested midfielder than a player like Dempsey and even more athletic than someone like Bailey smith.

Watch this space for the next two years. But yes we chose COS because of the key position shortage and was probably a good move all things considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back