Autopsy Cats lose to Lions by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But another week of the midfield getting smashed, thats our glaring weakspot at the moment.

And we have no room for errors now. We simply have to beat the Dokers, the Paer and the Bulldogs at home, beat the Saints at Colonial Stadium and put up a good showing against the Pies at the G.

I have posted this before - in a previous season

C Scott has got the runs on the board with the 2 flags - but so has M Blight

Blight was on Gerrard W radio show about 3 years ago - and GW asked him about Scotts comment during that week - alah i have nothing to do with the midfield or the match ups . Blight strssed he wasnt being critical of Scott - but he was staggered by his comment - he said when he was coaching - his no 1 job each week - was getting his hands all over the midfield and getting those midfield match ups right

Geelongs midfield issues has been a problem since the year dot - you can go right back to that Swans PF - the game was over at qtr time because the midfield got annihilated - that Dockers elim final 5 g 8b to a solitary point at qtr time - all because of the midfield

I have posted this before - in a previous season

C Scott has got the runs on the board with the 2 flags - but so has M Blight

Blight was on Gerrard W radio show about 3 years ago - and GW asked him about Scotts comment during that week - alah i have nothing to do with the midfield or the match ups . Blight strssed he wasnt being critical of Scott - but he was staggered by his comment - he said when he was coaching - his no 1 job each week - was getting his hands all over the midfield and getting those midfield match ups right

Geelongs midfield issues has been a problem since the year dot - you can go right back to that Swans PF - the game was over at qtr time because the midfield got annihilated - that Dockers elim final 5 g 8b to a solitary point at qtr time - all because of the midfield
1. Do you really believe Scott has no say over the midfield matchups?

2. What moves are open to Scott that he’s currently not making? Bontempelli and Cripps languishing in the Cats VFL are they?

1. Do you really believe Scott has no say over the midfield matchups?

2. What moves are open to Scott that he’s currently not making? Bontempelli and Cripps languishing in the Cats VFL are they?

I only repeated what Blight said in response to Scott stating that he leaves the midfield up to other coaches

Gerrard at the time asked him the direct question and Blight responded

As for your point 2 M Blight would have tried Stewart in the midfield years back . Malcolm wasnt hesistant to make a move eg Mick Mansfield from a half back flank - to full forward at h/time in a game against Coll at Victoria Park one day - 7 second half goals to Mansfield and a very good Geel win

I only repeated what Blight said in response to Scott stating that he leaves the midfield up to other coaches

Gerrard at the time asked him the direct question and Blight responded

As for your point 2 M Blight would have tried Stewart in the midfield years back . Malcolm wasnt hesistant to make a move eg Mick Mansfield from a half back flank - to full forward at h/time in a game against Coll at Victoria Park one day - 7 second half goals to Mansfield and a very good Geel win
I’m well versed with the flagless Blight years I witnessed at Geelong. Indeed, he was willing to try all sorts of things.

I’m well versed with the flagless Blight years I witnessed at Geelong. Indeed, he was willing to try all sorts of things.
That is a classless reply

Last year we beat a light weight garbage opponent in the GF

Pity in the late 80s early 90s we didnt get a Syd Swans circa 2022 opponent in a GF because we would have beaten them by 100 plus points

Pity in the late 80s early 90s we didnt get a Syd Swans circa 2022 opponent in a GF because we would have beaten them by 100 plus points
You are the one insinuating that Blight is some oracle Scott should take counsel from.

I hope he does anything but.

Hindsight is king isn't it?

They weren't garbage, we MADE them look garbage.

Sure, they're no superteam...but had a very good year nonetheless. We can't all sing Collingwood's praises about reinventing football when they lost to that mob, while we made them look like schoolboys.

Besides, it's pointless to compare eras. Ablett Senior is the most talented footballer of all time...how would he cope with training & diet demands of today's players? I'm dead serious when I say this, he might not even make it on a list...yet he's still one of the greatest of all time from his era.

It's a redundant exercise. Compare Blight to his era, and Scott to his era. It's only fair.

Hardie hasn't impressed from what I've read here, and it'd be a bold gamble to play Conway so early....... wouldn't it?

I think Stewart appearing in the in the inside mid rotations shows that they're willing to throw the kitchen sink.

But we almost have to chalk it up to an off day. Play the same game over with the same players you're not likely to see the same numbers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardie hasn't impressed from what I've read here, and it'd be a bold gamble to play Conway so early....... wouldn't it?

Then it must be Bruce 😁

Looking at our list, these are the Kittens yet to debut: Clohsey, Conway, Foster, Hardie, Kroeger, Murdoch, Ricarddi & Willis

Kroeger I’m somewhat comfortable to put a line through for a debut, so thought it would then come down to Conway or Hardie. Unless maybe Clohsey who seems to have gone ok so far this season in the VFL

Then it must be Bruce 😁

Looking at our list, these are the Kittens yet to debut: Clohsey, Conway, Foster, Hardie, Kroeger, Murdoch, Ricarddi & Willis

Kroeger I’m somewhat comfortable to put a line through for a debut, so thought it would then come down to Conway or Hardie. Unless maybe Clohsey who seems to have gone ok so far this season in the VFL

My first thought was it may be Clohsey, as we need that ball hound - see ball, get ball - and from what I've read by the VFL observers he's a hard nut who does just that.

I think Stewart appearing in the in the inside mid rotations shows that they're willing to throw the kitchen sink.

But we almost have to chalk it up to an off day. Play the same game over with the same players you're not likely to see the same numbers

True, but it's a considerable leap of faith to expose Conway or Hardie I would've thought......

Disclaimer: I have no first hand observation on which to make this call - only my impression from the comments by those who have.

Conway or Hardie?
Will be Conway to give Stanley a chop out.

No coincidence that we have heard nothing about Ceglar for weeks. Won’t play in either format unless both Conway and Stanly injured.

I could see Conway play in a couple of more weeks as a way of managing Rhys - he will need at least one game off heading into finals?

Question is against who? With Darcy out next week would be a good one but I personally think a little early - would like to see Toby get through a full game in VFL first.

Next best is Port Adelaide which is week After next? Or possibly Collingwood following week. After that I don’t think they want him debut against Marshall or English?

I actually think it will be deserved…other than whether he can play a full game…

My first thought was it may be Clohsey, as we need that ball hound - see ball, get ball - and from what I've read by the VFL observers he's a hard nut who does just that.
I wouldn’t hate that but they would play Knevitt in front of him for that role. If it is about helping the team (and not just giving a debut like other clubs do when out of finals) then Knevitt still offers much more to afl midfield that Ted (although I am very bullish about ted in future)

To me, for this to be real, I think it has to be a chop out for a best 22 role we can’t fill without a debut - to be that only leaves Toby

I wouldn’t hate that but they would play Knevitt in front of him for that role. If it is about helping the team (and not just giving a debut like other clubs do when out of finals) then Knevitt still offers much more to afl midfield that Ted (although I am very bullish about ted in future)

To me, for this to be real, I think it has to be a chop out for a best 22 role we can’t fill without a debut - to be that only leaves Toby

Good points.

If I was giving Conway a debut game it would be this weekend vs Freo
Yes he’s only played 2 VFL games but I believe he’s been training for a while against Stanley and Ceglar at training.

I don’t mind him coming on and him and Stanley sharing the ruck duties then subbing him off.
Or even resting Stanley and seeing how Conway is tracking during the game
If he then needs to be subbed Blitz can ruck against Jackson and Tracy

Unleash the beast. Chris Scott has been desperate to play him as far back as last season. Was very close in 2022 before they put him on ice for pre season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We're pretty accustomed to doing that, after 15 years in the wilderness you might not have noticed. It's kinda what we do.

Nevertheless, you could win every H&A game against us for the next decade....it still wouldn't make up for the bed wetting you put forward TWICE allowing us to waltz into Grand Finals.

You played the whole season on your home deck and you STILL couldn't even win it that year....seriously?? It's pathetic.

Here's the funniest part: Your group are so mentally weak that they made one of the most maligned Geelong sides of all time look like battle hardened champions in comparison. We'd been calling them marshmallows for 10 years on this board....and they STILL beat you up!! Twice!!!

Enjoy today, may you long continue to be our pin cushion when it actually matters 😊
Your living in the past, take the L and look forward to 2024

It's in the tone, and presentation. Go back and re-read your last couple of responses......

Not just me either btw.

Anyhow, this is OT, so I won't say any more on the matter.
It’s hard work! How about Brisbane deserved to win. Just say it and move on…… seems impossible for some. I hope we can be better supporters in time and give credit when it’s due… mind boggling…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back