Autopsy Cats lose to Lions by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A medium forward quick with the ability overhead to straighten a side up important cog for us.
And pressure/chase downs, and getting the ball to ground for the crumbers. Also great on quick transitions, a few of which yesterday broke down.

A fully fit and confident Cameron would give us some of this but he appears limited at the moment.

A
A fit Rohan would've run havoc against them in that second half. I feel like Close and Stengle operate better alongside him as well.

Rohan in and Guthrie back are what we need. The defence looks solid enough now. The midfield and forward groups both need their barometer player.
It's the knock on affect to Close and Stengle that is the biggest impact.

And pressure/chase downs, and getting the ball to ground for the crumbers. Also great on quick transitions, a few of which yesterday broke down.

A fully fit and confident Cameron would give us some of this but he appears limited at the moment.
Felt sorry for Cameron last night seeing him close up in the third quarter just before he took a mark and goaled he was in a contest 15mts out from goal and looked all at sea trying to breakaway from an opponent that's when I thought this bloke's only out there on heart.

I think our season is toast and I thought it a while ago (certainly doesn't matter what I think though).

I understand we can and probably will still limp into finals, but If Cameron is truly carrying an injury that needs surgery... then It's even more toast than I thought.

Carlton won, Sydney won, St Kilda won, Richmond won, Melbourne won, GWS won, WB won

we are not feared, what a joke. When the whips are cracking the tuff get-going.

We look like it is unlikely that we will miss the eight.

Call it a combination of the following .....slow start to the season, injury-riddled run, lack of desire, hard run home and bad coaching

they would all be banking on counting the points against if they were playing us.

Last edited:
I thought Stewart looked good in the middle when he went in. I'd be interested in how others saw that. Do you think we'll see more of that? He seemed to be able to get back behind the ball again pretty quickly. And it we're not winning the ball to start with, turns out it's pretty hard to win games.
Stewart did well. Even got a clearance. My problem with it was he wasn’t playing as a midfielder, he’s just starting there. As soon as the ball cleared he would run back to defence, this leaves the lions plus one in the midfield so if their’s another ball up around the ground the midfield are a man short.

Carlton won, Sydney won, St Kilda won, Richmond won, Melbourne won, GWS won, WB won

We look like it is unlikely that we will miss the eight.

Call it a combination of the following .....slow start to the season, injury-riddled run, lack of desire, hard run home and bad coaching

they would all be banking on counting the points against if they were playing us.
I agree on this point.

We were one of what will be 11 sides to lose at the Gabba this year. Geelong and Melbourne were the only two sides to get close. And we were pretty poor. Who knows what's to come. It's a very even comp at the moment between about 10 sides that include us.

I reckon Geelong will win 3 of it's next 5. That will leave us on 50 points or 12.5 wins. We might just miss the 8. I think we have to win 4 of our next 5 to be safe. If things go to plan a we will finish 7th or 8th. No home final but not an option given the delay in finishing GMBH stadium. The problem is we will have to go full bore to win some of these games and will be buggered going into finals. Not opportunity to rest players like last year.

Richmond and St Kilda stumbled over the line against bottom 4 sides, Carlton had the bye v WCE and GWS played at home v GC.

Do you think Brisbane away is a tougher proposition than any of those other opponents?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Geelong will win 3 of it's next 5. That will leave us on 50 points or 12.5 wins. We might just miss the 8. I think we have to win 4 of our next 5 to be safe. If things go to plan a we will finish 7th or 8th. No home final but not an option given the delay in finishing GMBH stadium. The problem is we will have to go full bore to win some of these games and will be buggered going into finals. Not opportunity to rest players like last year.
Nah, 12.5 is in.

Rohan is not a big forward, and as pointed out frequently on this site, he goes missing for large junks of the game. Not what you want from a key forward target.
He's not a big forward but he's the only forward who gets to contests and brings the ball to ground.

the point is they won.

And this week we will beat Freo at home while most/all of Carlton (v Pies), GWS (v Dogs away), Richmond (v Melb), Sydney (v Essendon away) all lose.

People are entitled to be frustrated / disappointed in how we played for three quarters v Brisbane but nobody should be surprised we lost in a game we were significant underdogs in.

I'm sure he must have, but I did not see Stanley tap it to one of our mids once against the Lions. Not once. Our mids "problem" starts and ends there. Its impossible to say how good they are if they continually never ever get first dibs on the ball. For years we have put a premium on rucks with second and third efforts. But its their bloody first efforts that count that we suffer from.

And this week we will beat Freo at home while most/all of Carlton (v Pies), GWS (v Dogs away), Richmond (v Melb), Sydney (v Essendon away) all lose.

People are entitled to be frustrated / disappointed in how we played for three quarters v Brisbane but nobody should be surprised we lost in a game we were significant underdogs in.

I reckon Sydney could snatch a win.

I'm sure he must have, but I did not see Stanley tap it to one of our mids once against the Lions. Not once. Our mids "problem" starts and ends there. Its impossible to say how good they are if they continually never ever get first dibs on the ball. For years we have put a premium on rucks with second and third efforts. But its their bloody first efforts that count that we suffer from.
6 times according to the stats.

I’m told Jezza has a “bung” shoulder. Shouldn’t be playing and will have surgery post season.

Can hardly lift it above shoulder height and whenever he’s tacked or goes to ground hard, the pain is pretty obvious.

Pushing hard to play on with it but I wouldn’t be expecting any late season heroics.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If this is indeed true, then thats us done for the year if we aren’t already.
Need a fully fit Jez if we were to go deep.
What a completely wasted year.

This is why the talk of Geelong being a finals threat is silly.
I mean, against other teams in the top 8 at the GABBA they beat the Demons by 11, the Pies by 33 and against teams just outside the 8 they beat the Tigers by 81.
So it was a shit loss, and we should have done much better, but its not like they spanked us like they have done to Richmond.
And they don't travel.

Weeks ago when we looked at the fixture, I had us down for losses to the Brions and the Pies, but the manner of the loss is both at the same time concerning because we were dogshit for a half, and also gives me some hope because when we put the foot down we nearly ran over the top of them.

But another week of the midfield getting smashed, thats our glaring weakspot at the moment.

And we have no room for errors now. We simply have to beat the Dokers, the Paer and the Bulldogs at home, beat the Saints at Colonial Stadium and put up a good showing against the Pies at the G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back