Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truly scary thing is that Gold Coast were really bad today. On that performance Gold Coast would have lost to most teams in the league, and on our performance we would have lost to every team in the league.

And if we played someone good we would have lost by 15 goals.

I have always said that round 1 2011 was the worst game of footy I have ever sat through. That game today was worse. If I was a neutral fan I wouldn’t have made it through a quarter.

I'd have Simpson in before Dempsey if he's replacing Close.

IN: Simpson, Parfitt, Neale, Kolo, Stanley
OUT: Hawkins, Bruhn, Tuohy, Close, Ceglar
Not bad. But just see them making that many changes. Smacks of desperation (which I am but the club will want to avoid?). Duncan also back in next week so I think he comes instead of Parf.

In terms of simpson vs dempsey it is lineball

Sounds like Duncan back next week - so that is one. Assume Kolo for SDK (although coach alluded to the fact he didn’t “hard fail” the test so maybe plays?).

Probably Stanley in for Ceglar? So 3 changes but other than Duncan that doesn’t move the needle? And Rohan will come in

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Scratcher for Hawk but again he was just ok today.

I can’t see them putting Parf back in unless they want to give Tanner a run in VFL.

Geelong are not the type of club to make 5 changes are they?

The only other part of the ground they might want to change is small forward. But that would be Dempsey for Close? And I reckon they will back Close in for 5-6 games before he goes back, so I don’t see it this week

Wonder if it's straight in for Duncan or if he gets a run in the VFL - if we weren't 0-3, I think I know the way they'd go but with our current form I'm thinking they may bring him straight back in

I feel like Close and/or Stengle could use a run in the VFL even if only to get their hands on the ball, because both seem well down on what we got from them last year but that at this stage they may just want some stability without too too many changes

JK, RS & GR seem obvious ins - wonder if Rohan comes in for Hawkins, and we play with Cameron as the key target, with Rohan & Henry presenting as the other options, and the smalls at their feet?

I was at Round 1 and we were comfortably the better side for 3 quarters before the defensive absentees and in game

I was there too and honestly I disagree with this. A mate texted at quarter time saying we must be going well and I said "not really, we are just getting goals though"

We were on top in general play for a quarter I recon, but there were some pretty ordinary signs in the midfield, particularly defensively.

100% the injuries didn't help. Indeed, when we were getting on top in the third, I wasn't confident we'd run the game out.

Thing is, it wasn't mids getting hurt that night. They just underperformed.

And they still are it seems. (Unable to watch today fortunately) I'll be honest and say our midfield was relatively weak (on paper, compared to other premiership teams) last year anyway, but they absolutely performed at their best when it mattered.

Rough start to the year both injuries and form wise. But they are kind of hanging on. Keep the faith though, we will get better and are still a good chance to make the eight.

Not bad. But just see them making that many changes. Smacks of desperation (which I am but the club will want to avoid?). Duncan also back in next week so I think he comes instead of Parf.

In terms of simpson vs dempsey it is lineball
If now is not a time for desperation then when is?

Sounds like Duncan back next week - so that is one. Assume Kolo for SDK (although coach alluded to the fact he didn’t “hard fail” the test so maybe plays?).

Probably Stanley in for Ceglar? So 3 changes but other than Duncan that doesn’t move the needle? And Rohan will come in

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Scratcher for Hawk but again he was just ok today.

I can’t see them putting Parf back in unless they want to give Tanner a run in VFL.

Geelong are not the type of club to make 5 changes are they?

The only other part of the ground they might want to change is small forward. But that would be Dempsey for Close? And I reckon they will back Close in for 5-6 games before he goes back, so I don’t see it this week

Hard to see too many unforced changes going by Scott's comments in his presser.

It'll all come down to next week. If (and it's a big 'if' atm) we beat the Hawks next week, knock off the Eagles following that, we suddenly have Sydney at home. First game at KP for the year, GF replay, players back, we might just be able to turn it on.

That would make us 3-3 and firmly back in the hunt, considering every team except Collingwood & St Kilda have had at least one pathetic performance.

None of it looks likely right now, but it's just hard to give up when the supposed 'favourite' is a team we led for 3 quarters, and have had the wood over for 15 years.

Having said that, if we lose next week I'd be shutting up shop for the year. 0-4 is where you play the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep

We've got enough forced changes and not likely to be making too many unforced ones - especially when the VFL team got smashed

Scott made mention that Duncan and Kolo will be back next week and how, with that, the pieces will start falling into place after being forced to 'plug holes'.

He mentioned how the side looked disjointed and didn't have flow today (did he read my post? 🤔😅) but how quickly the team structure can right itself, and the knock on effect it has, once players return to their rightful positions.

For those calling for mass changes, Scott alluded to players with plenty of credits in the bank who the club knows will come good. I’d put the likes of Stengle, Close and Atkins in this basket (Hawkins a bit of a separate case as the reason for his poor form is well known).

I would give Hawk a few weeks off to get his body right and play Neale. But assuming that doesn’t happen, I’m not expecting many changes for Monday. Stanley in for Ceglar and Kolo for SDK (inj) obvious ones, and Duncan in for someone who is sore/managed (Tuohy?).

I’m not sure we can play Hawk and Henry in the same team with Hawk’s current fitness levels, and Rohan had an impact when he came on, so I’d make that change.

Wouldn’t mind Bruhn going back to the VFL or to sub to get his hands on the ball a bit, maybe Parfitt in or give Clark a taste earlier than expected (Blicavs and Holmes have debuted on Easter Monday out of nowhere so it’s not unprecedented).

Most disappointing thing about today was that the Suns didn't play that well today either, yet had us comfortably at arm's length most of the afternoon.

If we put up an effort like today against the Pies in Round 1, we'd have lost by 15 goals.

For those calling for mass changes, Scott alluded to players with plenty of credits in the bank who the club knows will come good. I’d put the likes of Stengle, Close and Atkins in this basket (Hawkins a bit of a separate case as the reason for his poor form is well known).

I would give Hawk a few weeks off to get his body right and play Neale. But assuming that doesn’t happen, I’m not expecting many changes for Monday. Stanley in for Ceglar and Kolo for SDK (inj) obvious ones, and Duncan in for someone who is sore/managed (Tuohy?).

I’m not sure we can play Hawk and Henry in the same team with Hawk’s current fitness levels, and Rohan had an impact when he came on, so I’d make that change.

Wouldn’t mind Bruhn going back to the VFL or to sub to get his hands on the ball a bit, maybe Parfitt in or give Clark a taste earlier than expected (Blicavs and Holmes have debuted on Easter Monday out of nowhere so it’s not unprecedented).

Trouble is our VFL side got flogged today, and by all accounts, no-one has been standing out so far.

Clark is a chance next week.

Bruhn averaging very low teens in first few games. Atkins has a few credits in the bank but he’s want to get cracking.

Close and Stengle are just suffering from what’s happening further up field. Slow ball movement and no cohesion with the midfield. They’ll be effective once we control the ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The fall is dramatic, far greater than I ever thought possible. The next few years are going to be North Melbourne like, it's not a good list. Cats have done well, but all good things must come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back