Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Um rohan played the first two games and was one of the worst on ground in both games. Couldnt find the pill. Other then the run down tackle today (which should of been called play on cos the player kicked it) he didnt do much today either despite having fresh legs compared to everyone else.

he aint alone. But he is one of the problems right now. Not the solution.

he needs to find form fast.

My quoted post works with my previous post - play Rohan for 4 quarters and leave him in the forward line for the 4 quarters, something we haven't done yet this season. He's being used to plug holes in each match, and that's hard on any player

When he was subbed on today for SDK, he started off in defence trying to help cover the absence of SDK and it's been the same across rounds 1 & 2. Against both Collingwood & Carlton, when SDK went off for medical treatment it was Rohan who was then pushed into defence due to our lack of height down back

He's looked fine when starting up forward, kicking goals in the first half until he then gets pushed into defence to cover gaps, then he returns to the forward line or is spending time on the bench as they seem reluctant to play both Rohan & Henry in the forward line together for extended periods

On that list point - Henry was playing forward in the 3rd quarter when Rohan came on, and then in the last quarter they swapped with Henry playing in defence & Rohan up forward

Just let the guy settle into a role

I know its early but im not sure any of bruhn, henry or bowes has got what it takes.

o.henry is just a bit to short to play the third marking option. Has some x factor but not enough to overcome his deficiencies. Seems a bit like a poor mans menzel.

bruhn just looks like another cooper stephens type player who we just got rid of. Doesnt find anywhere near enough ball for the type of role he plays.

bowes just looks too soft.

Gave up a bit for Bruhn and Henry so it's important they aren't busts.

Every damn media outlet creaming their jeans, channel 7 lead story how the mighty have fallen. Most radio commentators overtly barracking against us. Demands a fight back.

Every damn media outlet creaming their jeans, channel 7 lead story how the mighty have fallen. Most radio commentators overtly barracking against us. Demands a fight back.
Let’s see if the team have the balls to respond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who comes in?

It's not like there's really that many in the seconds pushing for a senior promotion
Sounds like Duncan back next week - so that is one. Assume Kolo for SDK (although coach alluded to the fact he didn’t “hard fail” the test so maybe plays?).

Probably Stanley in for Ceglar? So 3 changes but other than Duncan that doesn’t move the needle? And Rohan will come in

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Scratcher for Hawk but again he was just ok today.

I can’t see them putting Parf back in unless they want to give Tanner a run in VFL.

Geelong are not the type of club to make 5 changes are they?

The only other part of the ground they might want to change is small forward. But that would be Dempsey for Close? And I reckon they will back Close in for 5-6 games before he goes back, so I don’t see it this week

What was I just forced to watch?

The Good:

* If you finish 18th, you get the #1 pick in the draft

* Touk Miller is in my Supercoach, and I traded Tom Stewart out when he got injured before his value started dropping.

* If we tank hard enough, we may get to draft Victor Wenbanyama

The Bad:

* A notice to all AFL teams; if you are struggling with rebounding the ball from defense and moving it quickly in waves through the middle, I have just the matchup to get this right; Geelong. They run one way, can't lock the ball in their forward line, and can't stick a tackle.

* GCS won the clearances 41-21, and we scored exactly 1 behind from stoppages, the worst ever for this statistic since it has been recorded. And our captain is meant to be a clearance beast. Just let that sink in.

* I signed up for membership in October 2022 for myself and my two kids. I still haven't received any membership packs for myself or my kids after more than six months. Seems like the membership department is also suffering from a premiership hangover. They have cold-called me a few times to try and extract a few extra $$$ through pointless marketing gimmicks and raffles, so I guess they are doing something...

The Ugly:

* If Tom Hawkins has any pride at all, he'll withdraw himself from the team next week and do a 4-week individual pre-season. Yes, he was huge in the 2022 GF, but this year he has been an unfit liability.

* Danger has always been a bit of a FIGJAM, and it's no longer working for him at his age and stage. As a captain at 34 years of age, this attitude is also a liability. Danger; your job as captain is to delegate leadership to other experienced players and organise your team, not to try and put your team on your back by doing 2-3 inspiring things in the game and make money from commercials about insurance and commentating gigs. How many possessions in the second half?

Last edited:
There will be a lot of singling out certain players, saying certain of them must be dropped. The fact is we had 22 losers out there tonight. Even Stewart who was knocked up getting the ball just handed it back with regularity. We can’t drop them all. There is something rotten at the core at the moment, be that fitness, motivation or the opposition having ‘worked us out’ (least likely IMO).

There’s more pain ahead. Hard to see us turning this form around inside a month. We could easily play ourselves out of finals in this period.
I was at Round 1 and we were comfortably the better side for 3 quarters before the defensive absentees and in game injuries took a toll. Which make the fitness aspect hard to understand. We went toe to toe with a quality Pies side and had them where we wanted them.

The practice match before that v Brisbane and the game last week were garbage however. Family engagement means (thank god) I missed today's debacle but sounds like more of the same.

I would be shocked if it were motivation. That's the one thing this club has had in spades for a generation now. A never give up attitude.

Regardless I'd be very tempted to drop Hawkins for a couple weeks and give Neale a crack. Close can play magoos while Dempsey likewise gets a chance.
You'd be hoping Duncan and Kolo at least would be ins for Monday week.

Give Dempsey a ******* go! He’s got something.

He wasn't mentioned in the VFL write-up other than the disposals list - so may he may be one that's being asked to do a bit more to put his name into consideration for senior selection

Whyte who was sub last week & the carry over emergency today may actually be in a better position to play 4 quarters of senior football next week compared with those who ran out in the VFL today

Still early days, but this was always the danger with an older group getting a flag.
Hunger counts for so much in modern footy. Couple of percentage points down and you’re back with the pack.
My gut feel is that the older will is not there at the moment. **** all this training, **** all this work, let me get back to celebrating.
As an older chap who has had some wins and a few losses I get it.
BUT if your heart ain't in it move on or you will get hurt. One way or another.
Maybe this is what we are seeing.

Was wondering if anyone put their hand up in the VFL game, but judging by the scoreline, I'm guessing very few did.

Seems to me quite a few players are either resting on their laurels at the moment or have simply been worked out by the opposition - I'm talking about the likes of O'Connor, Close, Stengle, Cam Guthrie and Atkins.

Especially the bolded. Both had absolutely brilliant seasons last year (as well as just about every other young player), neither have had any kind of impact at all so far. It can't be underestimated how much running those younger players did that allowed the senior brigade to flourish.

He wasn't mentioned in the VFL write-up other than the disposals list - so may he may be one that's being asked to do a bit more to put his name into consideration for senior selection

Whyte who was sub last week & the carry over emergency today may actually be in a better position to play 4 quarters of senior football next week compared with those who ran out in the VFL today

Agreed on whyte. Give him some time, especially with our smaller defenders not doing a whole heap. Could be a Tuohy replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back