Review Cats sink Dockers by 11 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Directly set up several goals in a game we won by 2 of them.
Its the curse of the small forward, he only had 1 goal assist but had 4 score involvements when the game was on the line, last week similar stats but 2 goal assists and 3 score involvements. Would love to see what the pressure stats are because I imagine internally thats what the club sees his value.
Against the Hawks he kicked 4 but pressure numbers were lower, against the Bulldogs pressure numbers were higher but obviously thats because we got smashed.

People would be saying only the Hawks game was the good game but he was important in both matches.

Caught an interview with a Melbourne small forward, not sure when its from, they talk about having to avoid seeing external discussion because the club will say how happy they were with their role, but then they go online and see people saying "get them out of the team, they only had 7 disposals, etc etc".

Still basking in the glory of this one - finals type pressure in front of a largely hostile crowd who were really up and about in the last when Dockers took the lead. Kudos for our lads to dig deep and ge over the line.

Credit to the Coaches who were very conscious of Dockers ability to play corridor with forward handball chains - we allowed them spares in defence but took up the space ahead of the ball and forced them wide , largely to contests. They switched a lot but seldom generated an overlap. D'Arcy out was huge but you take that.
Our pressure between the arcs was fantastic.
Kudos also the the defence , Kolo and Henry were magnificent as the pillars with Stew/Holmes/Zach and Humphries very solid.

Paid close attention to a few :
Neale - great game , competed all day , bagged 2 and was involved with a few others - this guy is so athletic and will be a big part of our future
Mannagh - adds class and pressure between the arcs , innate goal sense, Keeper !
Lawson - never stops moving - great endurance , natural footballer who finds it easily. Positioning is fantastic and his one on one defense is very good for a sub 10 gamer
Ollie D - ran with Sharp for 3 quarters and was slightly overshadowed but came up well in some crucial moments. The Stevie J comparisons are spot on in the sense that his mind works so quick and sets up the next play before he gets hold of the ball
Stanley - I thought he was fantastic today
Danger - see Stanley !
Mullin - got caught early but settled well after that. Love his athletic traits , forget defence - get him exposure in the midfield. Watched him warming up - his kicking has improved out of sight - even tried a few on the left which looked OK.

Never easy to win over here but that effort really sets us up for , hopefully, for a double chance.

For the record , IMHO , both Dockers and Eagles supporters are ignorant of the rules and have a cringeworthy tendency to boo incessantly which annoys the shit out of me to be honest. Makes getting the W so , so much sweeter !!
God - I love this Club ;)

For the record , IMHO , both Dockers and Eagles supporters are ignorant of the rules and have a cringeworthy tendency to boo incessantly which annoys the shit out of me to be honest. Makes getting the W so , so much sweeter !!
They are up there with the Port fans for me, in that if the free kick goes to the other team you boo regardless of whether its correct or not.

"Oh they paid holding the ball when our player was tackled and threw the ball away? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

Couldn't agree more. The same goes for Jordan Clark. Though at least Ryan got close to an opponent at some point yesterday.
His running offensively yesterday was impressive but his defensive attitude was not
A few times we took a mark and he threw his arms up in the air.
Maybe defend Jordan, then we wouldn’t have taken those marks

Clark, Chapman and Walker racked up the touches. Walker spent the day giving Stengle a bath so Close was probably on Clark or Chapman. Both among the best players on the ground.

I don't think Close did anything to consider it a good game.
Watching games through a screen is really diminishing your knowledge of how a games played
Agree that Walker gave Stengle a bath though

Clark, Chapman and Walker racked up the touches. Walker spent the day giving Stengle a bath so Close was probably on Clark or Chapman. Both among the best players on the ground.

I don't think Close did anything to consider it a good game.
Big numbers didn't translate to scores for those inside 50s. Felt like a lot of roost kicks marked down as effective in the books because they went to a contest Freo lost because the kicks weren't too advantage.

Closes numbers were low but I think it was one of his better games recently, noting he's had a few average ones this year

Stengle and Cameron periodically have games where they seem miles away mentally. Strange, but I guess it happens when the bar is consistently high.
Cameron had a heavy contest when he laid that tackle that people were worried about and headed to the bench.
After the point he looked off and played long minutes on the wing since then.
Stengle was not helped by how they kicked him the footy but was well held by his opponent.
Can’t always dominate

His running offensively yesterday was impressive but his defensive attitude was not
A few times we took a mark and he threw his arms up in the air.
Maybe defend Jordan, then we wouldn’t have taken those marks
This was his issue at Geelong and Geelong doesn’t tolerate bad defensive players.

Directly set up several goals in a game we won by 2 of them.
He had one of the lowest ratings on the ground. 1 expect more than 1 goal assist and 9 disposals.
Watching games through a screen is really diminishing your knowledge of how a games played
Agree that Walker gave Stengle a bath though
Im perth based. I was at the game. You?
Big numbers didn't translate to scores for those inside 50s. Felt like a lot of roost kicks marked down as effective in the books because they went to a contest Freo lost because the kicks weren't too advantage.

Closes numbers were low but I think it was one of his better games recently, noting he's had a few average ones this year
The inside 50s didn't translate because Fremantle lost their best forward to injury and then moved their 2nd best forward into the ruck to cover for Darcy. Fremantle forwardline was a shambles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had one of the lowest ratings on the ground. 1 expect more than 1 goal assist and 9 disposals.

Im perth based. I was at the game. You?

The inside 50s didn't translate because Fremantle lost their best forward to injury and then moved their 2nd best forward into the ruck to cover for Darcy. Fremantle forwardline was a shambles
Sure was.
Smack bang on the wing and watched him work his arse off.
Same at Hobart
Melbourne based 😎

Still basking in the glory of this one - finals type pressure in front of a largely hostile crowd who were really up and about in the last when Dockers took the lead. Kudos for our lads to dig deep and ge over the line.

Maybe it's the isolation, but their fans seem to follow the mentality of both Clubs, pitted against each other in hate. They will flat out say they hate each other- so football fanatics, not supporters of football. WC are definitely insular, non inclusive and rude. We went there once - a week before the event, to ask if any accessible seats available for the coming game against us. They took the tourist smiles off our faces when they literally said, Geelong supporters? get out!

I'd be staggered if we didn't allow our players to select their own boots
Thank you 🤭 🤭 🤭

I feel less stoopid now 😉

I thought they were discussing boots too,

Freo had the top 3 ranked players on the ground, and 8 of the top 10. How did that work out for them?

Really shit act. If the AFL is serious then he's gone.

We're suspending players these days for 'football actions' that aren't intended to hurt the opponent, but human error gets in the way.

That's not a football action, or in the spirit of the game. That's what we should be ruling out, not tackles that have gone wrong (Bedford, Taranto)

So, I also bought my standard Geelong cats tshirt - it's the one with the old school crest on it

Should I take another trip to Fremantle tomorrow wearing it?
Yes! Absolutely!

Do an allrighty who wears Geelong gear along Glenferrie Road following a win over Hawks

😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻

😹 😹 😹 😹 😹 😹

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats sink Dockers by 11 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back