Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet it doesn’t change the picture at all. Scott wants him straight back in. Perhaps ask yourself why?
And scott gave tom stewart a best and fairest and by far our most coaches votes in a season where you constantly posted how awful stewart was playing.

Like most of us you pick and choose when to use Scotts views as an argument.

Plus playing him as sub is not putting him straight in.

So pleased for Mannagh but also very pleased for the coaching staff.

He was rightly dropped after a bad game against the Crows. Only 9 pressure acts, well below the rest of the team. The coaches probably said, in your role you can’t play in this side until you bring the pressure. You are in the VFL until we see you bring the pressure - consistently. That’s what good coaches do. It was clear from Scotty’s press conference that it wasn’t goals they were focused on for Mannagh.

Well, he certainly listened to them. Absolutely love this club. They make it clear to players what they need to do.

The other thing about this win is the future. We had more youngsters compared to the Hawks. I thought we would drop off a cliff without Hawkins but Neale will be more than good. Some of those marks were very impressive. Sure he drops some but so do all forwards. He’s only 21, well off his peak.

I’m loving SDK and Stewart in the middle. Stewart will learn midfield fast. He has a big solid body and speed. He and Danger suddenly make us such a fast midfield.

On paper our run home is ridiculously soft. We only play the Pies and Freo in the top 4 from now until the end of the season. That’s a top 4 finish right there!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disagree. It’s a professional sporting event. Not a nightclub.
It kills the true atmosphere of the game.

Completely agree. Ditch the songs after goals and the stupid flashing lights. I find them both annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The pros that had him sub even though Hawkins is out?

1.6 goals a game aint great if thats all you do. His defensive pressure on the ground, and more importanly, in the air, is attrocious. Rohan kills o. Henry in both aspects of the game.

When rohan plays our other talls look better because they actually have to defend rohan.

I’m actually so concerned about Henry’s lack of a rounded game that I’m not ruling out Rohan going again next season.

When Henry has a run and jump at the ball… it’s all good, but that is only a handful of times per game.

Stats are Great! Sometimes.
The ZERO goals in the last 4 games or 3 goals in his the last 6 games.
Can paint a different picture.
Add 2 subs (1 In & 1 Out)
Changes that picture again.
My hearing is. That. Rocket had been placed and lit.
We shall see if it has said effect.
Laziness, running patterns, no second efforts and his inability to influence games without the ball were all highlighted.
Let's see how this all plays out.
FWIW. Within the 50 arc of Rohan/Cameron/Neale can't have a OH in there.
Fingers crossed we see an Ollie version similar to our Rising Star Ollie.
That zero goals figure is also a product of our midfield getting soundly beaten and our entries were incredibly poor.

Everyone looks better when we fix the midfield.

The last couple of weeks he has moved into the “miers role” - which is not just high half forward but also be the extra MF at the stoppage around the ground. That means you are meant to be IN the contest as opposed to just outside (like they want Close and other HHF and the wingers).

So we have got to see that he is a contest player more because of the role (before that he was either deep and/or “normal HHF). Last night he played that “miers” role for a lot of the night and made it his own.

That is why Miers numbers were down a bit as he wasn’t around the contest as much (By the way before Miers owned that role it was Smith when he wasnt playing Wing).

I suspect we see this become “Mannagh’s role” from now
Yeah, because Miers was a bit down on form as the opposition had worked him out. He is very much a player who needs time to execute - and the way that opposition teams were reducing his time really affected his game. Putting Mannagh in there is very clever as he doesn’t mind the contest and his skillset and the way he executes is unknown to the opposition.

Then they are able to swap players around depending on who’s fresh and who’s getting a bit quiet. One minute it’s Miers, who is ultra creative and has incredible vision, then it’s Dempsey who is agile and athletic, then close who is defensive, then Mannagh who is aggressive, then Stengle who cannot be tackled and puts himself in dangerous spots…

Having a variety of small forward/winger/midfielders really is very very useful and can be game breaking.

In the games I've seen, he's definitely worked up & down the ground, got back to help out defenders, so the work rate has always been there. But I haven't seen that manic pressure we saw from him last night

The other thing that was noticeable last night compared with his earlier couple of games was the lowering of his eyes

After the Adelaide game there was comments about his hunger with a shot on goal he took when he had open teammates that he ignored. Last night we saw him lower the eyes and hit up teammates, including Miers which showed a positive change in approach

I don't want him to lose the goal instinct, but it's knowing when to take the shot yourself versus finding the open teammate. That was also likely part of the reason with his return to the VFL was learning about playing for Geelong, structures, processes & systems etc, because no doubt he can play but it was about whether or not he could fit into our system

I think that was actually a real positive from last night in how unselfish we were in front of goal and willingness to give to a teammate even when it would have been easy to kick the goal themselves.
I noticed this too. Really good team win last night. Looks more like us from rounds 1-8.

Can we just have a win and not criticize players, especially one that was sub and played only 15min and drilled a pass to Jeremy Cameron.

Some fans can’t help themselves, gotta have a whipping boy.

So pleased for Mannagh but also very pleased for the coaching staff.

He was rightly dropped after a bad game against the Crows. Only 9 pressure acts, well below the rest of the team. The coaches probably said, in your role you can’t play in this side until you bring the pressure. You are in the VFL until we see you bring the pressure - consistently. That’s what good coaches do. It was clear from Scotty’s press conference that it wasn’t goals they were focused on for Mannagh.

Well, he certainly listened to them. Absolutely love this club. They make it clear to players what they need to do.
In my view he was kept out of the team too long. We lost six games out of seven and we clearly had other options, which included Humphries and him.

But all good, they picked him eventually.

Yet it doesn’t change the picture at all. Scott wants him straight back in. Perhaps ask yourself why?
That's 3 games in a row for Rohan he over his career he has played his best footy early in seasons or off short spells I could see him sub this coming week which would see O Henry play and see Rohan on a pattern of games to be cherry ripe if needed in September.Please don't ask me who comes out of the side for that to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jhye Clark, pick 8 2022 draft: 18 disposals from 60% game time.

Cam Mackenzie, pick 5 2022 draft: 17 disposals from 76% game time.

We're way harsher on our young players than supporters of other teams, if Hawks had a youngster play to the level of De Koning or Dempsey yesterday we'd never hear the end of it.

Jhye Clark, pick 8 2022 draft: 18 disposals from 60% game time.

Cam Mackenzie, pick 5 2022 draft: 17 disposals from 76% game time.

We're way harsher on our young players than supporters of other teams, if Hawks had a youngster play to the level of De Koning or Dempsey yesterday we'd never hear the end of it.
100%

This supporter base has had too much success that they’ve lost perspective. Inexperienced players need time and don’t need to come in and dominate.

Throwing SDK into the ruck against his big brother was a psychological masterstroke. He got smashed, and the coach left him there, getting smashed. Second half and SDK looked angry, and he started getting into the game. Hasn't looked back since. Cannot wait until we face the Blues again.
I think that’s what was lost on some because we got smashed as a team. SDK actually ended up having a pretty good game and he’s only getting better playing in the ruck. He’s an extra mid, plays like he’s 5’11

In the games I've seen, he's definitely worked up & down the ground, got back to help out defenders, so the work rate has always been there. But I haven't seen that manic pressure we saw from him last night

The other thing that was noticeable last night compared with his earlier couple of games was the lowering of his eyes

After the Adelaide game there was comments about his hunger with a shot on goal he took when he had open teammates that he ignored. Last night we saw him lower the eyes and hit up teammates, including Miers which showed a positive change in approach

I don't want him to lose the goal instinct, but it's knowing when to take the shot yourself versus finding the open teammate. That was also likely part of the reason with his return to the VFL was learning about playing for Geelong, structures, processes & systems etc, because no doubt he can play but it was about whether or not he could fit into our system

I think that was actually a real positive from last night in how unselfish we were in front of goal and willingness to give to a teammate even when it would have been easy to kick the goal themselves. Only player I saw slightly frustrated at not receiving a handoff was Cameron in the last when Close kicked his fourth - never mind it was an easier kick for Close compared with getting a handball past defenders to find Cameron
Sometimes you just have to execute. We’ve been guilty of being too sharing with goals and have made poor decisions. Cameron took more than a few shots where he might have passed.

Didn't see the game but I heard on the radio numerous times that the size of the ground really hampered the Hawks game style.
For most of that game they kept doing the same thing over and over out of defence by going down the exact same wing every time how the **** would ground size affect that? I call bullshit

And scott gave tom stewart a best and fairest and by far our most coaches votes in a season where you constantly posted how awful stewart was playing.

Like most of us you pick and choose when to use Scotts views as an argument.

Plus playing him as sub is not putting him straight in.
I’ll take things that never happened for $1000 Alex.

Nice random Wikipedia page.

At his best, I'm a fan of OHenry. He hasn't been at his best lately, perhaps partly due to injury.

If he comes back in - and as we 'know', Chris Scott always tells the absolute truth in press conferences! - I hope he gets back to his best quickly.
Take the time to read this “random” page. You are placing too much weight on a small sample which is not representative of the whole picture for Henry. You recognised this when you alluded to the injury.

That's 3 games in a row for Rohan he over his career he has played his best footy early in seasons or off short spells I could see him sub this coming week which would see O Henry play and see Rohan on a pattern of games to be cherry ripe if needed in September.Please don't ask me who comes out of the side for that to happen.
Yep, quite possible. Or also possible one of our half forwards pushes higher and Ollie slots in forward.

Scott has repeatedly said it’s a mistake to think we will find a best 23 and stick to that formula. We are going to see continuous tweaking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back