Preview Changes and discussion vs Melbourne. Round 8, 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
bringing back in Gia and having Hunter/Dickson in, seems kind of a strange move
Glad to see Roberts back in and think its a good message to send to Talia that he needs to work harder
if he is going to have a place in the side, which I'm sure as he matures, will be part of our future best 22

I like the selection this week somehow. The team looks more balanced and potent. We need win this game otherwise the team will get a lot of pressure so I understand why Gia is selected. He might not be the answer but using his experience would be valuable.

Being the sub is crap for a young player - 3/4rs of anxious waiting and then 20 minutes of running around like a headless chook, or even worse, the coach too scared to ring on a youngster when the game is in the balance. In most cases, I reckon a youngster should play the whole game and if they arent up to that, then dont pick them - let them have a game in the reserves.

Gia is the perfect sub, and we should play him in that role as often as his fitness allows.

Gia being picked is kind of fitting. Last time ever that he will get to play at the G.

Pissed that Talia is out. Ok he does one bad thing for every two good things but I still think we need his bulk down there.

Disappointing that Talia was dropped. Obviously still has a couple of things the MC think he needs to work on. Still have absolutely no doubt he'll be a top line defender, just the normal teething problems a young tall has.

Bonts needs to play full games, struggled with the pace in both appearances, which is understandabe. Let him go back and dominate, until we have no choice but to pick him.

Stevens was poor, hiding behind a tagging role I'm afraid. Didn't get enough of the ball.

Tutt gets a deserved chance, hopefully he takes it with both hands, exactly the type of player we need. Incredibly happy that Fletch was made to work for his chance, now he needs to make sure he picks himself every week from now on.

Stevens seriously unlucky.

Gia and Dickson in the forward line doesn't work. Never has.

Talia was beaten last week, so Roberts in for him doesn't bother me.

Couldn't agree more re gia and Dickson. Only works if gia is sub.

I'd prefer faster small forwards in with Campbell.

Good to see Tutt back in. I rate him. Great penetrating kick, good goal sense.

Williams very luck to be in imo. Seems to avoid body contact way too much but probably is instinctive by now considering his run with injuries. A guy so tall and fast should be smashing packs but it just never happens. Possibly too much of a nice guy.

Disappointing that Talia was dropped. Obviously still has a couple of things the MC think he needs to work on. Still have absolutely no doubt he'll be a top line defender, just the normal teething problems a young tall has.

Bonts needs to play full games, struggled with the pace in both appearances, which is understandabe. Let him go back and dominate, until we have no choice but to pick him.

Stevens was poor, hiding behind a tagging role I'm afraid. Didn't get enough of the ball.

Tutt gets a deserved chance, hopefully he takes it with both hands, exactly the type of player we need. Incredibly happy that Fletch was made to work for his chance, now he needs to make sure he picks himself every week from now on.

Don't hold your breath re fletch. the way we're rotating young guys through the team atm doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He could be out in a week or two. I prefer they get two or three weeks to prove themselves. what do we have to lose in this stage of the team's development? It's not like we're winning games with the current strategy. I don't like three omissions each week after close losses. Although I do have faith in bmac.

Apparently Frawley and Watts are in doubt for Melbourne, can any Dees fans elaborate?

Watts trained on Thursday, should be fine, had a knock to the back. Frawley nowhere to be seen, in a moon boot. 50/50, depends on whether the Xtra Strong pain killers work or not.

Gawn (emergency) would be the cover for Frawley, given Frawley has been mainly playing as forward for the past few weeks.

Looking forward to a good game.

A mate of mine is a Doggies fan and I don't watch a lot of your boys and he has a hatred of Tom Williams and constantly calls him a shit player. I've seen nothing of him and I want to ask, is this some irrational hatred or not?

Is always one contest away from a serious injury. When he gets continuity in his game he's the perfect matchup for those athletic tall forwards.

A lot of the usual facebook idiots jump on him and attack his character, but he's one of the most courageous players in the league. He and Daniel Cross have risked their lives to save another, not just their bodies in pursuit of an inflated piece of leather.

Don't hold your breath re fletch. the way we're rotating young guys through the team atm doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He could be out in a week or two. I prefer they get two or three weeks to prove themselves. what do we have to lose in this stage of the team's development? It's not like we're winning games with the current strategy. I don't like three omissions each week after close losses. Although I do have faith in bmac.
Really? I think they've done it pretty well to be honest. Talia had three weeks and seemed to still be lacking, Jong also had a good run at it, Hunter has played most games, and Stringer and Macrae have played every game this year. The only one not given an extended run is Bontempelli, who I think is probably not quite developed enough yet. Who do you think has been hard done by?

I have to say that selection this season continues to baffle me:
Tallia - not being played and now dropped
Bontempelli & Honeychurch - playing either as subs or not given a chance

But what real gets me goat is
Persistently playing a tall short - at odds with every other team in the league.
Should Minson hurt himself during a game we will be seriusly embarrassed as Jones or Williams will not only fail to be competitive in the role as Ruckmen but are highly likely to injure themselves in the process.

I can't imagine a reasonable justification for it. Can someone help me understand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say that selection this season continues to baffle me:
Tallia - not being played and now dropped
Bontempelli & Honeychurch - playing either as subs or not given a chance

But what real gets me goat is
Persistently playing a tall short - at odds with every other team in the league.
Should Minson hurt himself during a game we will be seriusly embarrassed as Jones or Williams will not only fail to be competitive in the role as Ruckmen but are highly likely to injure themselves in the process.

I can't imagine a reasonable justification for it. Can someone help me understand?
talia is probably stiff to be dropped, but gave danhiher too much room last week and roberts form is just too good to pass up
bont shouldn't of been made sub last week, sub should mostly be for players that can come on and have an impact and he isn't anywhere near experienced enough

you're probably right about minson, its a huge risk we're taking but it just highlights the fact that we have real limited depth among our talls
:(

talia is probably stiff to be dropped, but gave danhiher too much room last week and roberts form is just too good to pass up
bont shouldn't of been made sub last week, sub should mostly be for players that can come on and have an impact and he isn't anywhere near experienced enough

you're probably right about minson, its a huge risk we're taking but it just highlights the fact that we have real limited depth among our talls
:(
as much as i love Bonts, if you compare his game as sub to some of Macrae's and Hunter's last year and he made far less of an impact. I think it's a fair, objective view to say he didn't tick enough boxes and someone should come in for him.

I do wish we could stick with Talia because i think he's going alright. At least we get to have another look at this other young kpp we've had on our list a while bubbling away. Hope he does well because his development will set up our backline for years.

as much as i love Bonts, if you compare his game as sub to some of Macrae's and Hunter's last year and he made far less of an impact. I think it's a fair, objective view to say he didn't tick enough boxes and someone should come in for him.

I do wish we could stick with Talia because i think he's going alright. At least we get to have another look at this other young kpp we've had on our list a while bubbling away. Hope he does well because his development will set up our backline for years.
if roberts kicks multiple goals, you know most supporters will be like
why you been hiding him away all this time?
just never happy :p

Re: Talia.

With his lack of offensive weapons his defensive work needs to be spot on and it hasn't been the past few weeks.

I like Roberts. Good to see him get a gig.

Tutt was dropped for no reason last time he played so he probably deserves another chance.

I agree with Talia lacking in a few departments last week, however, this team needs structure. Guys like Campbell/Cordy, Talia should be given longer so our team can have a proper structure to build around. Not a week in here and weeks out. The match committee are very poor. One of the worst in the league.

So did I.............I'm sorry.

I do actually have a reason for entering the thread, a question.

A mate of mine is a Doggies fan and I don't watch a lot of your boys and he has a hatred of Tom Williams and constantly calls him a shit player. I've seen nothing of him and I want to ask, is this some irrational hatred or not?

Is always one contest away from a serious injury. When he gets continuity in his game he's the perfect matchup for those athletic tall forwards.

A lot of the usual facebook idiots jump on him and attack his character, but he's one of the most courageous players in the league. He and Daniel Cross have risked their lives to save another, not just their bodies in pursuit of an inflated piece of leather.
Dez! was asking if Williams is a shit player or not, he wasn't wanting to know about is character or whether he is a courageous player.
So Dez! I will answer the question for you, he is SHIT not sure how he gets a game let alone still on our list.

Dez! was asking if Williams is a shit player or not, he wasn't wanting to know about is character or whether he is a courageous player.
So Dez! I will answer the question for you, he is SHIT not sure how he gets a game let alone still on our list.

And I answered it, my lord. He's a handy role player when up and going who can matchup on certain types. The kind of defender we need even with Roughead and Morris in for matchup purposes. Unfortunately he's rarely up and going. Now did this post appease you, boss? Yes? good.

At least people can't complain about this team being slow. Maybe we want pace to try and move the ball quickly to counter melbournes defensive turd?

Well Minson is very durable so the risk is probably pretty low. I'm guessing they see the (unlikely) risk that we lose Minson during the game is less than the risk/impact playing a second ruck does to our structure/chance of winning. They might also be confident in our teams ability to read opposition taps if it comes to it? I recall a game late last year - think it was WC vs Richmond (??) when WC got about 80 hitouts but were soundly beaten.

All agree with , but WHAT
I like the changes. Tutt has the speed, guido as the sub & Fletch gets his chance.

Here we go again, Speed - overrated -- if your a midfielder , you need to get the ball first , you can run up and down the ground as fast as you like , but for someone like Tutt he needs to make every touch hurt , and for him that's another problem , because he just wont get it that much.
Why has he only played a handful of games in 4 years ?

Really? I think they've done it pretty well to be honest. Talia had three weeks and seemed to still be lacking, Jong also had a good run at it, Hunter has played most games, and Stringer and Macrae have played every game this year. The only one not given an extended run is Bontempelli, who I think is probably not quite developed enough yet. Who do you think has been hard done by?
What about guys like Tutt and Campbell - one game and then dropped for a few

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back