Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Hawthorn in last round of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang in mate. If you don’t have the stomach to endure the bad times, you don’t deserve to enjoy it when we come good.

So accepting mediocrity for ages is the only way to be allowed to join in the celebration?

I rate that logic about par with Lmac’s field kicking.

There is no “when” we come good at this rate, do you understand that? North doesn’t operate or have expectations of itself at a level anywhere near AFL standard.

Getting all the high picks, not pushing or driving the players to the heights they should reach, or having a game plan that stands up (or a game plan at all) and then blaming Rawlings and Brad Scott is getting us nowhere.

So accepting mediocrity for ages is the only way to be allowed to join in the celebration?

There is no “when” we come good at this rate, do you understand that? North doesn’t operate or have expectations of itself at a level anywhere near AFL standard.

Getting all the high picks, not pushing or driving the players to the heights they should reach, or having a game plan that stands up (or a game plan at all) and then blaming Rawlings and Brad Scott is getting us nowhere.

We will come good.

Tapping the sign. Bigfooty is not the club.

The club’s job is to employ staff who know what they are doing and to recruit and teach and develop players to be part of high performing teams. As supporters, literally our only job is to keep showing up and riding the roller coaster. We can choose to share our opinions on a generally slightly unhinged online forum but it doesn’t make any difference to what the club is doing. It does make a difference if we stop showing up or stop buying memberships, but not the difference some people seem to think it does - it just makes it harder for the club to succeed.

Obviously every club has bandwagonners when they get successful, there are no rules. But it is still true that continuing to support when things are bad means the success means more to you.

F*n show up for this North. Get some of that old pride back into the club. Flogs on the sidelines been shitcanning us for too long. We got the chance to shape the finals series this week - to do something noteworthy, wipe the smug smiles off Mitchell and his cohort of over celebrating runts. Give us something. Convince yourselves it's an elimination final and f*n show up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the rage quit thing. I've never once left early from a game or turned off a game early on TV.
Doesn't mean I don't get disappointed/frustrated but at the end of the day it's just a game of footy.

As for the game, would like to see Hardemann or Will Dawson get a run. Maybe even Finbar if Larkey is sore.

I don't get the rage quit thing. I've never once left early from a game or turned off a game early on TV.
Doesn't mean I don't get disappointed/frustrated but at the end of the day it's just a game of footy.

As for the game, would like to see Hardemann or Will Dawson get a run. Maybe even Finbar if Larkey is sore.

I gave us until the third quarter was over to show something on the weekend, but sitting there watching your team get utterly belted is hardly much fun after a while. I'll usually stay until the end but that was just too much for a Sunday afternoon, especially after getting used to a few relatively exciting finishes (win or lose) recently!

The mother of all reality checks. Ah well.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but there have been special circumstances at North since 2020 imo which make it more than understandable.

We've plunged to sustained lows reached by the Hawks and North in the early days, the Saints in the (very) early days and early-mid 80s, and Fitzroy in the 60s. That's about it in terms of teams who've matched what we've done. Even then, I'm pretty sure this current team were a hair's breadth from the worst 100-game run ever (excepting 1890s St Kilda, who are indeed in a league of their own) Week in, week out, incompetence, shitness and thrashings. People have run out of tolerance at times.

I suddenly ran out of tolerance in the Hawthorn game at Docklands last year. It'd been gradually wrung from me since they allowed crowds back. I'd watched bigger thrashings, but the weight of the shitness suddenly felt like too much. I had nothing left to give, and thought '**** spending my Sunday watching this bullshit.'

People like to pretend that spectating a sport is just that. It's not. It's an avenue for happiness, euphoria, unity, tribalism. When all of those positive emotions get replaced with a despair and hopelessness that lasts years, it's pretty understandable imo. You could accuse such people of caring too much if the despair permeates that deeply, but that's the way it is. I'm not gonna pretend I'm not addicted to this club

Ordinarily I'd agree, but there have been special circumstances at North since 2020 imo which make it more than understandable.

We've plunged to sustained lows reached by the Hawks and North in the early days, the Saints in the (very) early days and early-mid 80s, and Fitzroy in the 60s. That's about it in terms of teams who've matched what we've done. Even then, I'm pretty sure this current team were a hair's breadth from the worst 100-game run ever (excepting 1890s St Kilda, who are indeed in a league of their own) Week in, week out, incompetence, shitness and thrashings. People have run out of tolerance at times.

I suddenly ran out of tolerance in the Hawthorn game at Docklands last year. It'd been gradually wrung from me since they allowed crowds back. I'd watched bigger thrashings, but the weight of the shitness suddenly felt like too much. I had nothing left to give, and thought '**** spending my Sunday watching this bullshit.'

People like to pretend that spectating a sport is just that. It's not. It's an avenue for happiness, euphoria, unity, tribalism. When all of those positive emotions get replaced with a despair and hopelessness that lasts years, it's pretty understandable imo. You could accuse such people of caring too much if the despair permeates that deeply, but that's the way it is. I'm not gonna pretend I'm not addicted to this club

A Bulldogs fan behind me at the game noted out loud that Sam Darcy alone had outscored us, three and a half years after the Josh Bruce incident. It requires no heady philosophy to work out why people leave games early. Doesn't mean I won't be there come Round 1 next year.

Playing both Drury and RHJ together is... interesting.

Highly suspect one will be the sub, and barring injuries to other players, one will be subbed out for the other.

Bad luck for Greenwood, apart from that the changes look like the best we can do.

If it's Phillips or Greenwood you probably have to go with Phillips. I genuinely don't know what's going on with him re: his future at North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Hawthorn in last round of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back