Preview Changes and Preview Brisbane vs Ports @ Gabba, qualifying final thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 1 is forever ago.

We need to terrorize Lachie Neale and ensure Charlie Cameron doesn’t terrorize us.

IN: Dixon, Marshall, Lycett, McKenzie
OUT: Lord, Hayes, someone else, one of McEntee or Evans

Port by 4 carn

Drew to Neale is the big matchup. Get that right and we can get on top in the midfield.

Burton gets first crack at Cameron.

Brisbane will turn the ball over coming out of defence if we put enough pressure on the ball carrier. We cannot let them run the ball out or we’ll be in for a tough night.

Confident the boys can get the job done.

Pear by 11pts.

I can tell you how the reaction will be after the game.
If we win it was all the players that did the work and won despite Hinkley.
If we lose it will be all Hinkley’s fault with no mention of the players.
Some posters on hear are as predictable as the days of the week.

The fact we’re sitting here going into a Qualifying Final snidely predicting supporter post-mortems given the historiography of past September trainwrecks is a really good sign, but.

Do you remember hearing any response as to why we lost the prelim to the bulldogs in the first 5 minutes and how we won't let it happen again?

No, neither do I.
Don’t get me started on THAT prelim final.
That was the most gutless pi$$ weak effort I’ve ever seen in my life from a Port team.
That’s why Rozee left the ground in tears because him and his pi$$ weak team matés copped a well deserved serve from the crowd.
Only two players that night put in the rest should have been lynched.
And yes Hinkley should have got the arse afterwords but those players still around from that disaster owe the supporters/ members big time.

Last edited:
The fact we’re sitting here going into a Qualifying Final snidely predicting supporter post-mortems given the historiography of past September trainwrecks is a really good sign, but.
It’s the same day in day out,Hinkley Hinkley Hinkley.
Yeah have your say but Achy Breaky Heart gets boring after awhile even in Waco.

A coach who's afraid of finals.
A coach who wants to rush back in the player (Lycett) whose arguably s**t the bed to the worst degree, that any single player has in finals for Port across the whole time in the AFL.
A coach who'll try to keep Jonas and McEntee in the side, despite them as the clear weakest links at either end of the ground.
Playing at a venue the opposition hasn't lost this year.

Yeah, this doesn't point to stirring victory. All it's lacking, is turning to the coverage and seeing Ken up in the box, to complete the set.
All set up for happy clappers to say losing away is expected from 3rd, disregarding only 3rd as they've s**t the bed repeatedly since Ken's contract was settled (if not announced) in the break.

The only question of the finals for Port is do they make the Prelim and lose that or go out in straight sets. The latter at least MAY, get a few more happy clappers to belatedly realise that H&A results are meaningless. In either case expect Ken to lower the blinds, get in his sarcophagus and emerge just before our first pre-season games, rather than face any questions on yet another failed campaign.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Unfortunately Stinkley will not see playing Lycett as a big risk but it is. I hope he goes well but I don't see McInerney winning the game for Brisvegas so I'd be happy to have Hayes with him to stifle his output which is exactly what Stinkley will try to do with Lycett but under a fitness cloud.
Marshall in and Dixon in is a given. Which means Lord is out and also Franger Evans.
If there is a risk that might be worth it is Fantasia in for McEntee. McEntee will not win you a game, Fantasia could and even if Fantasia lasted 10 minutes you are not really missing McEntee's impact on the game. I'd like to see us go in small in the forward line. I think Brisbane might have issues countering that more than if we went tall.

F Fantasia Dixon Rioli
HF Powell-Pepper Marshall Rozee
C Duursma Wines Houston
HB Farrell Aliir Bergman
B Jones McKenzie Burton

Ruck Lycett Drew Butters
Int Horne-Francis, Williams, Finlayson, Byrne-Jones

Sub Boak

OUT Jonas Lycett Lord Hayes McEntee
IN Lycett Dixon Marshall McKenzie Fantasia

I know that won't happen

Defence
Aliir - Hipwood
McKenzie - Daniher
Burton - Cameron
Bergman - Rayner
Jones - Bailey
Farrell - Zorko

If they’re scared of losing, they’ll lose.
We want players who hate losing.
Fear of failure or losing works as an effective motivator of performance for some personality types but not for others. In stating that finals can be scary, Ken is acknowledging that feeling scared of failing is a rational and typical emotion coming into a final. The key thing is how you process that emotion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have posters on here that are genuinely scared we might pinch a flag.
Lol, given he's already been extended the 2 years, even the most ardent anti-Hinkley posters would still like us to win the flag. We're resigned to he's not going until Koch goes, whether we finish first, last or any position in between, so the long term future of the club is worse than it should be anyway, so lets at least get some pleasure of winning DESPITE the head coach.

We have posters on here that are genuinely scared we might pinch a flag.
The scepticism and gallows humour on this board is hardly surprising considering the history of Ken Hinkley's Port Adelaide in finals. It's basically a way of coping with having your emotional wellbeing tied to a group of players/coaches who've consistently failed to deliver when it matters.

Posters may be disenchanted with the club and how it is being run, but I think we all just want to win the flag.

There'll be plenty of mea culpa posts should Ken manage to coach the team to 3 consecutive wins in September, but until then the scepticism in this thread towards our finals performance is justified.

Lol, given he's already been extended the 2 years, even the most ardent anti-Hinkley posters would still like us to win the flag. We're resigned to he's not going until Koch goes, whether we finish first, last or any position in between, so the long term future of the club is worse than it should be anyway, so lets at least get some pleasure of winning DESPITE the head coach.
Most yes but definitely not all, plenty lining up waiting for failure to justify there continuous negativity.

Unfortunately Stinkley will not see playing Lycett as a big risk but it is. I hope he goes well but I don't see McInerney winning the game for Brisvegas so I'd be happy to have Hayes with him to stifle his output which is exactly what Stinkley will try to do with Lycett but under a fitness cloud.
Marshall in and Dixon in is a given. Which means Lord is out and also Franger Evans.
If there is a risk that might be worth it is Fantasia in for McEntee. McEntee will not win you a game, Fantasia could and even if Fantasia lasted 10 minutes you are not really missing McEntee's impact on the game. I'd like to see us go in small in the forward line. I think Brisbane might have issues countering that more than if we went tall.

F Fantasia Dixon Rioli
HF Powell-Pepper Marshall Rozee
C Duursma Wines Houston
HB Farrell Aliir Bergman
B Jones McKenzie Burton

Ruck Lycett Drew Butters
Int Horne-Francis, Williams, Finlayson, Byrne-Jones

Sub Boak

OUT Jonas Lycett Lord Hayes McEntee
IN Lycett Dixon Marshall McKenzie Fantasia

I know that won't happen

Defence
Aliir - Hipwood
McKenzie - Daniher
Burton - Cameron
Bergman - Rayner
Jones - Bailey
Farrell - Zorko
I think this is our best available team too. Will be interesting to see how close it is.

Would have preferred a day game but it was never going to happen.
Two things that will go a long way to winning.
A fast start and straight goal kicking.
This team is good enough

Nup the anti-Hinkley lobby aren't scared of Hinkley winning anything. Sorry, I shouldn't speak for everyone.
Yeah man im terrified of winning a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back