Changes for Round 22 v Fremantle @ Optus Stadium (away)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

We'll challenge this and he'll get off easily. Didn't Berry play on? If so, downgrade medium impact to low and he'll be right.

Yep, Liam Duggan is going great...for a second or third year player. This is his 8th season.

Yep, Liam Duggan is going great...for a second or third year player. This is his 8th season.

Yeah turns the ball over every time he uses it. Apart from the 78 per cent of time he gets an effective disposal away.

You can’t just make claims that have no actual basis and then say “well he’s not playing like a player in his eighth season”. One doesn’t actually back up the other.

Get the feeling the clubs packing up...
By rights Freo should run rings around us, doesn't a win
get them in the four?
2 games to go and we're done like a dog's dinner!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you can just quote disposal efficiency and dismiss any knocks? How about the 2 tackles and 2 contested possies from our supposed leader of the next generation?

We should be top of the ladder with your player assessments Miggy, all of them are beyond critique.

I’d be more worried about his contested disposal count if he played midfield. Ditto his tackles, the guys putting up big numbers are the mids. Yeo gets double digit tackles when he plays midfield, this year he played back and totaled 8 in 5 games.

I didn’t notice Duggan regularly turning the ball over or getting beaten. I’ll be sure to watch for it in future, but based on the stats and your description I’m honestly not sure we’re talking about the same player.

Yeah turns the ball over every time he uses it. Apart from the 78 per cent of time he gets an effective disposal away.

You can’t just make claims that have no actual basis and then say “well he’s not playing like a player in his eighth season”. One doesn’t actually back up the other.

You’re right, Duggan’s been fantastic and come on in leaps and bounds. Career is progressing beautifully and should be awarded captaincy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You’re right, Duggan’s been fantastic and come on in leaps and bounds. Career is progressing beautifully and should be awarded captaincy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here we go.

I said none of that. But because I pulled someone up on a particular criticism of Duggan that I thought was off the mark, I must be saying that Duggan is the best player we’ve ever seen.

I was really happy with Petch the week he got injured, but also thought Langdon did well defensively and was a good replacement, without the same skill set. So I'd like to see no changes to the forward line (including JK just playing again).

I am all for Gaff going again next year but if he is injured why not expose Naish to the top level and see what he has before the year is out?

As much as I think Williams has been poo, may as well keep him in now and see what he has to offer, surely Naitanui can wise him up a bit and direct him a bit more. He could also roll forward to try take the JK position when "resting" and just try get him to make his presence felt. This will benefit Waterman who is too undersized to be Darling's main partner full time.

If he does go forward, bring Rotham in to play ruck, he looked so much better there than he has in about 18 months down back.

Regarding Duggan, he seems to have it very much in his head that he is this big, strong, explosive guy and tries (and fails) to play accordingly

Its actually got amusing at this point. Time and time again, he tries to take on tacklers, and time and time he fails. You would think after the first couple of hundred attempts he might realize he isn't physically up to it, but like the little red engine that could "i think i can! i think i can!" he he keep chug alugging into opposition players, and keeps failing to break lines. This also applies to when he attempts to stick a tackle only to have the opposition player run through him more often then not

In his head, the guy seems to think he has the explosiveness of Dusty. I have long given him the nickname "Buster" because if he has ever busted a tackle, i haven't seen it

I am not even mad when i watch him continue to do it these days, its given me many a chuckle in an otherwise bleak season
Weird how people see different things.

In defence you're often accepting the ball with 1 step of space, which is usually used to move laterally to get the arms out and give the handball off to (hopefully) a supporting player.

The description you've given above I feel the exact same thing, but the biggest offenders we have are Rotham and Waterman. They're not good lateral movers and they often move into a tackler as if they're going to bust through. It is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen because they torch handball receives running past to try and break a tackle when they've never been good at it.

Duggan never torches people, I'd say he only steps through when he's just received the ball and has no space, he never really goes for miracle movements through traffic like others. But I'll keep an eye on him and see what he does going forwards.

In regards to his disposal (other commenters), it was good on the weekend. He has turned it over a bit more recently but I've noticed this has been when he has taken more risk.

He isn't quite there with the higher risk kicks but I don't mind him doing it in a season like this to see if he can iron out the vision errors he's having in identifying space. The disposals themselves are on target but often get chopped off as he either thinks he's going to get it to the target quicker than he can or misidentifies the passing lane, not recognising opposition players in the way.

Overall his disposal is tidy enough but he's made errors in the options he takes when going for high risk stuff, particularly the week before last. Room for improvement for sure. I did like the play on the weekend where he got the ball on the wing and actually looked to move the ball forward, his best games have always come when he doesn't look backwards.

I do think his tackling has been off the entire year, compared to players of similar size or smaller like Cripps, Jones, Langdon and Shuey etc. he's letting too many people through.

Weird how people see different things.

In defence you're often accepting the ball with 1 step of space, which is usually used to move laterally to get the arms out and give the handball off to (hopefully) a supporting player.

The description you've given above I feel the exact same thing, but the biggest offenders we have are Rotham and Waterman. They're not good lateral movers and they often move into a tackler as if they're going to bust through. It is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen because they torch handball receives running past to try and break a tackle when they've never been good at it.

Duggan never torches people, I'd say he only steps through when he's just received the ball and has no space, he never really goes for miracle movements through traffic like others. But I'll keep an eye on him and see what he does going forwards.

In regards to his disposal (other commenters), it was good on the weekend. He has turned it over a bit more recently but I've noticed this has been when he has taken more risk.

He isn't quite there with the higher risk kicks but I don't mind him doing it in a season like this to see if he can iron out the vision errors he's having in identifying space. The disposals themselves are on target but often get chopped off as he either thinks he's going to get it to the target quicker than he can or misidentifies the passing lane, not recognising opposition players in the way.

Overall his disposal is tidy enough but he's made errors in the options he takes when going for high risk stuff, particularly the week before last. Room for improvement for sure. I did like the play on the weekend where he got the ball on the wing and actually looked to move the ball forward, his best games have always come when he doesn't look backwards.

I do think his tackling has been off the entire year, compared to players of similar size or smaller like Cripps, Jones, Langdon and Shuey etc. he's letting too many people through.

What's this rubbish?

Duggan is either the worst player we've ever had and if he's not delisted should be taken out back and put down, or he's the greatest player we've ever had and makes Chris Judd look like a forgettable Freo spud from the 90s.

Get with the program my man or you will be banned from the board.

Get the feeling the clubs packing up...
By rights Freo should run rings around us, doesn't a win
get them in the four?
2 games to go and we're done like a dog's dinner!
Yeah ...not to sure on Simmo's vibes atm...seems like he has given up this week listening to his pressers ...6 day vibes etc

Duggan's disposal is routinely poor. Effective disposal is one of the junkier stats around and I'm sure if I could be bothered I would find posts where Miggy refers to it as such.

He is getting beaten 1 out increasingly regularly.

Duggan gets different treatment based on performance compared to Nelson, Rotham et al.

It is frustrating. Particularly given he has, at various points, looked like he would develop into a much better player than he has been showing. He is right in the age group we would see a first round pick start to be an influential if not dominant player in their preferred position.

Is Duggan the biggest problem on our list? Unfortunately not, by a tremendous margin.

I’d be more worried about his contested disposal count if he played midfield. Ditto his tackles, the guys putting up big numbers are the mids. Yeo gets double digit tackles when he plays midfield, this year he played back and totaled 8 in 5 games.

I didn’t notice Duggan regularly turning the ball over or getting beaten. I’ll be sure to watch for it in future, but based on the stats and your description I’m honestly not sure we’re talking about the same player.
Duggan was outmarked twice in defence by opponents who read the ball better and took space in the air with their jump. Brad Sheppard wouldn't have let that happen. Duggan also fumbled ground balls a few times, but he's no orphan in that respect over the last few years. His game wasn't awful, but when half your side produces "meh", you lose.

Duggan's disposal is routinely poor. Effective disposal is one of the junkier stats around and I'm sure if I could be bothered I would find posts where Miggy refers to it as such.

It is pretty rubbery. But you can’t be turning the ball over regularly, which you accused Duggan of, and recording a DE in the high 70s.

You’ve pretty clearly made up your mind on Duggan, to the point that everything he does is wrong. Others have done that on Gaff, Waterman etc. It’s a common phenomenon on here and it’s an annoying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back