Prediction Changes for Round 5 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Yeo
Out: Edwards (inj)
Shuey & Kelly to play a week in the WAFL after a few weeks out.
If those 2 come in, then 2 of West, Langdon or Witho out I suppose.
Dunno how long SPS and Gaff are out for yet. Guess we'll find out on Tuesday.
I would rather see the team with a few mids in and Gaff still out. He is a negative when he gets the ball as he is too slow and doesn't have a fast kick

I would rather see the team with a few mids in and Gaff still out. He is a negative when he gets the ball as he is too slow and doesn't have a fast kick

Don't forget running to receive on the right when he has no right foot, meaning he has to invariably double back to get on his left boot.

Out: Ledwards(inj)

In: Yeo (presuming he pulled up well)

There's a spark catching in the tinder now. Up to Simmo and the MC to either bring it to life with an effort focussed approach or snuff it out with credits in the bank.

I really hope it's the former - reward the blokes who played to the new plan and brought home the choccies, don't knife them to bring back a host of under-done stars.

Saturday was awesome, but we got murdered at the stoppages because our midfield was non existent. Our defenders were the top possession winners and it was their brilliant defensive job and good rebounding that won us that. Also had some good help from our forward's accurate finishing and Collingwood's terrible inaccuracy.

Let's not forget that Collingwood's midfield was also pretty weak with DeGoey and Adams out. If either plays, I figure we lose that game.

Sydney will not be like that, they have a strong midfield. If we rock up with the replacements this week, we'll get done. As much as West had good energy, his disposal is not at AFL level, so he needs to fix that before leading the midfield. XON is in a similar boat.

Shuey comes straight in, he showed against North that he didn't have any rust. He replaces Edwards. Yeo comes in If he is fit enough to run out a game, otherwise he should play WAFL unless Kelly is out. Kelly should be straight in if he is over his hammy. We need at least two of these 3 back to try and give us any chance of competing with Sydney.

In terms of outs: Edwards is out through injury, West is next and XON or Hough would be the third one I'd drop.

OUT: Ledwards, West

IN: Yeo, Shuey

Kelly coming back from Covid + an injury, no real match fitness = Test his fitness and touch in the WAFL
Gaff coming back from an injury = test his fitness and touch in the WAFL.

Means we're only bringing 2 underdone mids back in and not 4. Also gives Naish and XON another opportunity after career best games. Nice balance.

Not sure what Petrucelle has done to warrant being an automatic inclusion into this side. He averages 1 tackle and 11 pressure acts a game this year, whilst Jamaine, despite being quiet recently, averages 4.3 tackles and 15 pressure acts a game. I'd like Petch to improve as much as anyone, but that's a far contrast.

That role is a pressure role along with Legdon. Can't have all three of Ryan, Willie and Petch running around not applying pressure or tackling.

I'm liking the JJ, Willie and Ryan combo with Legdon and Waterman playing support to JD and JK :heavycheck:

In: Shuey, Kelly, Yeo
Out: L.Edwards, Waterman, West/Hough

Hopefully see Yeo back in, but just not sure if we’ll bring him in this week even thought it’s not too often we leave our best players in the WAFL for more than a week. Definitely pick if ready though, massive game Friday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Yeo , Shuey
Out: Edwards (injury) Hough (rested)

Sydney are a hard bruising team and I can see the need to rest Hough. Had a great start but unless he plays on the wing, I think we stick with the 7 defenders as below

No ins for Gaff and Kelly - need to build fitness base first. I want Gaff on the wing and nowhere near the inside mid and clearance roles.

JK a watch - it will be B2B 6 day breaks and he managed 3 goals but only got 5 disposals and at times looked tired. Jack is not doing the second and third efforts so maybe we go for Dixon as a fwd in place of one of Jack/JK FWD and Harry comes in to backup ruck

Only need 2 tall defenders against Sydney

KPD: Guv, Barrass
Defender: Duggan, Hurn, Foley, Nelson, Witherden

Rucks: NicNat, Dixon
Midfield: Shuey, Yeo, West, XON
Wings: Naish, Redden

KPF: JK, Jack
Forwards: Rioli, Ryan, Jones, Langdon, Waterman

Last edited:
We’re relatively close to full strength at either end of the ground - Cole at s our only best 22 defender missing with Allen and Cripps missing from a full strength forward line. (I like Petch but he’s a fringe best 22 rather than a lock)

The midfield however is the very definition of second string and despite their admirable endeavour on the weekend they were clearly outgunned by a Collingwood midfield that itself was below full strength

We need to get Shuey, Yeo and Kelly back as a priority on the proviso that they are fully fit or somewhere awfully close. Sheed will be a handy addition eventually but he’s still weeks away. Gaff is only welcome back imo if the coaches use him purely as an outside runner with a focus on running to dangerous positions rather than scuttling around chasing cheap possessions that go nowhere

With that in mind -

Shuey played 69% TOG v North and came through OK as far as we know before missing the last 2 weeks due to covid. He should be right to come back in and replaces the injured LEdwards

Bring back one of Yeo or Kelly but not both or neither if they aren’t ready to go. I’d be moving Nelson back to replace an unlucky Hough to make the midfield room to accommodate Yeo or Kelly

Exxon and West deserve a chance to frank their Collingwood form and 4 games in Naish as earned himself a first choice midfield position based on form.

Petch was a late week covid casualty so assuming he actually had it rather than being a close contact I doubt he’s right to be considered. If he is good to go then he replaces Waterman or if JK can’t get up replace him with Petch and run with a smaller forward line that focuses on denying Sydney easy ball movement out of their back half

If Naitanui is injured as has been speculated then BWilliams comes in

Shuey for LEdwards
Yeo or Kelly for Hough

Williams for Naitanui if required
Petch (if available) for Waterman (or JK)

Assumes no injuries we aren’t yet aware of, no more covid problems and no one else (think SPS) becoming available

Out: Naitanui (injured according to Tim Gossage on the radio this morning), West, Edwards (inj.)

In: Williams, Kelly, Shuey

Give Yeo another run in the WAFL to get his fitness up. He came back too early last year when he was clearly not up to standard fitness wise.

Nicnat late out?

Not to worry, Huge Dixon can hold down the fort against Jason Ball this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back