Changes for the Grand Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

FiveStrings said:
No, no, NO. We dropped him for the prelim and Jolly/Doyle killed Lynch/Graham whenever Coxy went off. Seaby has to play, even if he only on for 30 minutes of the game it's worth it.

I think you're right and there's only one possible in, and that's Wirra.

My heart says Banfield has to play. My head says he should go if Wirra comes back in.

If it's not banners, it'll be either Armstrong or Graham depending on whether we go tall or not.

Whoever misses is going to be bloody unlucky.

I agree dropping Seaby would be a big risk, just proposing the likely scenarios. We did only lose to Sydney by a point, and Seaby was barely sighted in the prelim, but I'd prefer him to play 40 minutes in the ruck allowing Cox to drift forward or rest than to chance Cox rucking the whole game (an early injury a la Kerr 05 would kill us) with a few minutes help from Lynch and Graham. Graham isn't experienced enough as a ruckman to match it with the Swans pair, and we need Lynch at full forward.

If Armstrong goes we're down a crumbing option. Tackling and chasing in our forward 50 is crucial. Putting Fletcher in the pocket won't give us that. Putting Seaby in the pocket won't give us that. Army's defensive work against the Swans and Dogs was good, however his game against Adelaide was poor. Chick, Waters or Wirrpanda would have to be used forward during the game in the absence of Armstrong.

FiveStrings said:
Whoever misses is going to be bloody unlucky.

Absolutely. I'd love to see Banners in the side but winning the game comes first. It will be sad if he is dropped (far from guaranteed that he will be) but if it is a case of putting the team before the individual that's about as accurate a description of Banfield as you can get, and I'm sure he'd handle himself like the professional that he is.

Frizzo said:
His sole task isn't to apply ground level pressure. He's a forward pocket whose number 1 task is to kick or create goals. His secondary task is to apply ground-level pressure. Waters, Wirra, Jones, Chick, and our resting midfielders can all do a decent job of creating pressure once the ball hits the ground and can be all swung forward at different stages in the game.

It does amaze me that you think Armstrong's sole task is to apply ground level pressure inside 50. In our three finals to date...

Army had a total of 39 posessions (most in the bulldog bath), kicked 1 goal and had 4 tackles.

Rowan Jones has had 55 touches and 5 tackles.

Jones is way ahead of Armstrong in terms of selection. I don't have the stats but I'll bet Jones is ahead in goal assists aswell.

P.S. Apart from the shocker shot at goal, Jones' disposal today was almost all effective. In the Sydney game he had about 30 touches of which about 3 missed their target. You can not drop Jones the way he's playing this finals series.

Well Gunnar you never responded to my points, but I just thought I'd add the them anyway after watching a replay of the Adelaide game. Armstrongs pressure inside forward 50 was almost non-existant. According to you that's his sole reason for being in the team.

So tell me again why it is he shouldn't be dropped? And should be selected before Jones? You must've been having a laugh, aye?

EDIT: Let us also not forget his inept effort that gifted the ball to Bode halfway through the second quarter, to extend the Crows lead to 16 points.

mikben said:
By the way when analysing players look at the small things that they do because they are the things that win games of footy....
Oh, OK!

Thanks for the tip. Your expertise is so valuable.

When analysing RoJo, I also look at the fact that he can't kick and makes bad decisions.

Those are the things that lose a game of footy.

Frizzo said:
Well Gunnar you never responded to my points, but I just thought I'd add the them anyway after watching a replay of the Adelaide game. Armstrongs pressure inside forward 50 was almost non-existant. According to you that's his sole reason for being in the team.
You've slightly distorted what I said, but I'll take it in my stride.

Obviously we need him to create goals.

But ground-level pressure is a major factor.

Saying forward-line pressure was his "sole responsibility" was probably over-stating it.

Frizzo said:
So tell me again why it is he shouldn't be dropped? And should be selected before Jones? You must've been having a laugh, aye?
I don't think Armstrong should be dropped, because he's our only small forward. He's obviously one of the guys who should be nervous.

I don't think RoJo will be dropped either. I just reckon he's a dud.

That said, he's quite handy in the kind of contests we have against the Swans.

I just think that, beyond this week, we need to look at the handful of guys in our side with sub-standard footskills. I guess my criticisms of RoJo are more long-term than they are about the make-up of our GF side.

Waters sprained his ankle, he should be fine though. Seaby will definetly play by all accords, it does seem to be a battle between Banfield and Graham. Take into account there is a 50/50 chance of rain, in that case then surely Graham goes?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
You've slightly distorted what I said, but I'll take it in my stride.

Obviously we need him to create goals.

But ground-level pressure is a major factor.

Saying forward-line pressure was his "sole responsibility" was probably over-stating it.

I don't think Armstrong should be dropped, because he's our only small forward. He's obviously one of the guys who should be nervous.

I don't think RoJo will be dropped either. I just reckon he's a dud.

That said, he's quite handy in the kind of contests we have against the Swans.

I just think that, beyond this week, we need to look at the handful of guys in our side with sub-standard footskills. I guess my criticisms of RoJo are more long-term than they are about the make-up of our GF side.

Beyond this week perhaps, but Rowan Jones is a pretty important cog for this Grand Final. I don't think Armstrong should be dropped either, and believe Banfield will probably get the flick. But to be honest, Sampi for Armstrong wouldn't upset me greatly. Army doesn't quite seem to have what it takes at finals tempo.

Having said I don't think he should be dropped, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make way for Wirra. Like I said earlier, we have plenty of other players who can pinch hit as a small forward and provide just as much as Armstrong can (and certainly more than he has in these finals).

Bear in mind that Armstrong's old home ground was the G, and his last game there against the Tigers was great.

Obviously GFs are a different kettle of fish, but talk of Sampi replacing him is silly I think.

There is definently no way that we can drop Steven Armstrong. He is our only small forward, and someone earlier made a very agreable statement that he has indeed played plenty of football out on the G with melbourne. It would be a serious mistake to drop him unless they make a straight swap for sampi.

If wirra was to make his way in i think it would have to be graham that gets the flick. To take the sydney talls we already have glass, bones and hunter rotating through with wirra at the fall of the ball. I also wouldn't be suprised if Nickoski came in, his booming left foot and ability to run through the lines could possibly come to be invaluable on grand final day.

After all, woosh is definently thinking about it otherwise they wouldnt have pushed so hard for him to play with suby. A sampi - army swap is possible but i doubt it although i do love sampis 'natural brilliance' around the packs, it again could win us the game.

tweece said:
If wirra was to make his way in i think it would have to be graham that gets the flick. To take the sydney talls we already have glass, bones and hunter rotating through with wirra at the fall of the ball. I also wouldn't be suprised if Nickoski came in, his booming left foot and ability to run through the lines could possibly come to be invaluable on grand final day.
Hard to see Nicoski coming in. I'd be very surprised to see him recalled.

As for Graham, you reckon we've got enough talls already?

So what happens when Hunter goes forward?

We have Glass on Hall and Bones on O'Loughlin.

All Roos has to do to dictate terms and force Hunter to go back in defence is send Ted Richards forward, or rest Goodes or Jolly in a pocket. With Hunter forward, who plays on these guys if they move into attack?

If we want the option of playing Hunter forward (which we quite obviously want), Graham needs to be in the team. Without him, moving Hunter forward will just be an invitation for Roos to create a mismatch in the Swans' forward-line.

tweece said:
A sampi - army swap is possible but i doubt it although i do love sampis 'natural brilliance' around the packs, it again could win us the game.
I would say that's a very remote possibility.

Rosa is more likely to be recalled than sampi.

Id hope they move Goodes forward Gunnar. Get him away from the midfield.... Theyd move Ted Richards maybe but then I guess we could throw Seaby in the ruck throw Cox forward and essentially have Dean Cox on Sean Dempster.

What do we think of that idea

fletcher has to be dropped. we have persisted with him for farrrrrrrr too long. he is an outside reciever with poor disposal. straight swap for wirra. time to make the tough call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my mind, Graham is a certainty, mostly for the reason stated - he provides a way in which Hunter can be placed forward for long periods. But he's also very valueable in his own right. He's got a remarkably cool head most times , plays a role well and is an extremely reliable kick. Not bad attributes to have. He'll be coming off a good game against the Crows as well.

The Wirrapanda-Banfield swap is a given for me. Banfield has struggled and doesn't quite offer enough in the backline comparative to others. It's a shame but that's footy.

A few weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought Brett Jones would be in the final 22, but he's proved me wrong with some good work. There was some bumbling stuff between him and his collegues at AAMI which resulted in a turnover goal, but other than that he's solid and good in the air, and will match up well.

I share the concerns about the contributions of Seaby and Armstrong, but there's not much in the way of alternative. For the small forward position, if you throw others into that hole, you're only taking away from your main structure. Waters and co can make appearances, but they won't be permanent small forwards, and are of maximium value elsewhere. If Armstrong helps to keep the ball in there, reduce the rebounding effect which is Sydney's bread and butter, and perhaps create a goal or two, then he'll have done a great job.

Seaby is important for the structure, giving Cox a chance to rest/go forward. Again, he doesn't need to be a superstar, just give enough value and hold the ship for short periods. By using him, you maximize the value of Cox, who is basically a matchwinning ruckmen. The selection process isn't just about picking 'the best players' - every selection has a flow on effect.

So, at the end of this torturous selection process, we'll make one change :D

No f***in way should Grayham play unless they drop Seaby. Who the hell would he play on against Sydney? He'd get murdered... God even Ian Perrie beat him last week.
And so what if Sydney throw an extra dud tall forward... It will turn out like the Hunter - Chris Grant situation from 2 weeks ago... win for us.
Last year we had Gardiner on Barry and that worked well didn't it.
Pace is much more important in defending, especially against Sydney's attacking play.

IN: Wirrpanda for Grayham/Seaby
Maybe Sampi for Armstrong.
And even Nicoski for Fletcher/Banfield if Woosha is
not feeling too sentimental.

Must create goals, especially early which is why id like to see a half fit Sampi there instead of Armstrong, who only just came in.

Just listening to 882 and they had woosha on and karl langdon asked him if dropping seaby was a option for wirra and woosha said that we will weigh up the options but with coxys mobility and his form it is definatley a option.

Hope this doesnt happen i personally think we need 2 ruckman for this game just incase and god forbid coxy goes down then we would have seaby there.

Keep Armstrong.
Keep Seaby.
Keep Grayham.

If we can win the ruck contest, we will win more take aways and if we are moving the ball fast throught the middle our forwards can finally for the first time get space against there backs.

My tip is Leo Barry on Lych and he is to slow in my beleif he really relies on contested posession, move embley or hunter up there both if we need them and we can catch them out by create heaps of space with fast incoming ball.

heals said:
Just listening to 882 and they had woosha on and karl langdon asked him if dropping seaby was a option for wirra and woosha said that we will weigh up the options but with coxys mobility and his form it is definatley a option.

Hope this doesnt happen i personally think we need 2 ruckman for this game just incase and god forbid coxy goes down then we would have seaby there.

Have to agree, have to keep Seaby for your exact reason, me personally i think it's going to be out of Banners,Graham and Armstrong who goes for Wirra, who goes i'm not sure but it's a lot better situation to be in than last year in regards to selection, at least we have many options.

It sounded like on the radio last night Seaby was the leading contender to get the drop. Its silly to suggest you have to play a 2nd ruckmen on the slight chance the first one gets injured.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Oh, OK!

Thanks for the tip. Your expertise is so valuable.

When analysing RoJo, I also look at the fact that he can't kick and makes bad decisions.

Those are the things that lose a game of footy.

Okay it's official, Gunnar you are a tool......

If Wirra was to come in, I would not risk him in the defensive half.

I'd play him on a HFF or pocket.

Saying that though, I believe Armstrong will be useful on Saturday.

Ah well, good luck John.

The only player it is absolutely essential to have out there is - HANSON - we never lose without him.

Loosen up guys and have faith in our coaches - they have carried us this far and will hopefully make the right selections and take us all the way.

smilingassassin said:
The only player it is absolutely essential to have out there is - HANSON - we never lose without him.

Loosen up guys and have faith in our coaches - they have carried us this far and will hopefully make the right selections and take us all the way.

Do you mean Hansen?

He has been absolutley wonderful this finals series.

Looking forward to him towelling up LRT. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the Grand Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back