Changes next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could not agree more. Edwards is the future i would not drop him to coburg based on 1-2 average games. Get with it people i would drop 1 or 2 others before him.

yes he is part of the future however no-one has a mortage on a spot in the side, well they shouldn't anyway:rolleyes:

there is a raft of others waiting for a chance, connors, casserley, collins at some point should be given a taste. i see the point in perhaps being a bit rash with edwards he was good prev 2 games and the Hawks exposed a few of our lads...however we need to reward others also and edwards will continue to get chances , whilst he adds some bulk to that frame he will be up and down

had nearly 30 touches. Are people on this site stupid??
Yeah McMahon had 30 touches and no, he won't be dropped. But it was the worst 30-touch game in the history of football. He runs to receive, and that's about it. Even his vaunted kicking resulted in several turnovers.

I don't understand why people don't rate this guy (McGuane). His kicking has improved, he went the longer option instead of the little short nowhere kick, he has good hands and he's got some mongrel and tenacity.

Bowden back in.... pfft please!

No change again unless Whitey is injured.
McGuane played on Roughead, who was the match-winner and one of the best 2 on the ground. Every time Richo wasn't there for the chop-out Roughead got the ball. I don't know why Schulz didn't play on Roughead because McGuane gets monstered by the bigger guys.

Bowden simply has to come in this week, he is in our best 22 so ffs bring him in, im sure hes learned his lesson by now! so i guess Mcguane has to go for him.

Hyde and edwards are candidates to be dropped too if there is anyone to come up.

had nearly 30 touches. Are people on this site stupid??

Yes, some of them appear to be. When are some Richmond supporters going to get the fact that McMahon is an outside player. He has been brought into the side for his kicking (which I might say is very good) and his pace. If every player is an inside player - they won't have anyone to handpass to when they get the ball.

Richmond supporters have to understand that when a club puts together a team it is about balance. Look at the recruiting of Mitch Morton. Great finish, good poise, forward defensive pressure. I say if he can kick 2 or 3 goals every game, with another 2 or 3 assists it will be considered that he has done his job.

Teams win premierships with their middle 10 to 15 players. Every side has 6 or 7 blokes that would get a game in any other side in the comp e.g. Richo, Brown, Deledio, Simmonds, Foley, Thursfield et al. The club just need to ensure the next 10 to 15 after that are enough to get us over the line.

yes he is part of the future however no-one has a mortage on a spot in the side, well they shouldn't anyway:rolleyes:

there is a raft of others waiting for a chance, connors, casserley, collins at some point should be given a taste. i see the point in perhaps being a bit rash with edwards he was good prev 2 games and the Hawks exposed a few of our lads...however we need to reward others also and edwards will continue to get chances , whilst he adds some bulk to that frame he will be up and down

FFS, why do people keep bringing up Connors as if he is in the mix. He was dropped to the Coburg 2s, he is no where near playing at AFL level.

McGuane played on Roughead, who was the match-winner and one of the best 2 on the ground. Every time Richo wasn't there for the chop-out Roughead got the ball. I don't know why Schulz didn't play on Roughead because McGuane gets monstered by the bigger guys.

McGuane wasn't on Roughead in the last when he kicked a couple of his goals.

No changes.

Why change a team structure that has been fantastic in the last 3 weeks:confused:
If forced by injury, then Bowden to FF.

Interesting, these players have been nominated so far to be dropped

Edwards
McMahon
McGuane
Pattison
Hyde
Polak
White (inj)

So going by weight of numbers, are these players the weak link in the current quest for finals glory?

I am one who has advocated giving Edwards the week off this week and it has more to do with the team we're playing than his form, which I'm not fussed about. The Saints are one of the hardest tackling sides in the comp, averaging 75 per game. For that reason I think Wallace will need a couple of harder, more mature bodies to come into the side. White being injured gives him 1 change, I think Bowden will come in for him. The only other candidate then is Edwards, who weighs next to nothing.

Wallace himself has said this game shapes up as a final and I just think that he will pick a squad with more mature bodies who can match it with the Saints in the clinches. With that being the case I get the feeling he will look to bring in Jackson for Edwards. A bigger, more mature body who can add to the midfield depth and also capable of doing a decent job as a run with player. If he does do that then I see the following tagging matchups:

Jackson - Hayes
Tuck - Dal Santo
Hyde - Montagna

Which then leaves us with matchups where our attacking midfielders are lined up as follows:

Johnson - Ball
Foley - Baker
Deledio - Armitage.

If we can manage to get these matchups on Saturday night it will go a long way to us singing the song come 10pm.

Bowden will come in for White and as much as I hate to admit it, Pettifer will come in for Edwards.
Would rather they give Pettifer the same 3 week treatment that they gave Bowden. Jackson was emergency for the Hawks game IIRC, so must be close to getting back in and as far as I can tell didn't play too poorly last week against Box Hill. The forward line has kicked 55 goals in 3 weeks without Petts being there so I don't see the need for him to come back in just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO
IN: Bowden, Jackson

OUT: White, Edwards

The big downer on this is that we lose alot of zip through the middle and up foward

Jackson will come in and do the tagging job alongside Hyde leaving the inform Tuck and Johnson to run free

I feel some people are being a bit harsh on McGuane. One of Buddy, Roughead or Williams was going to be the difference and it could've easily been williams. If indeed it was, I'm sure everyone wouldn't be asking for Thursfield to be dropped. Perhaps McGuane plays the scapegoat role very well?? From memory, the last couple of times we've played St. Kilda, Raines and Bowden have taken Riewoldt (may need to be correct there) and I'm told Raines is another week off. So perhaps Bowden needs to come in which leaves Thursfield on Kozi when he's forward possibly. So there may not even be a match-up for McGuane.

IMO, we pride ourselves on being lightning quick and Edwards moves exceptionally, however the Saints midfield is very potent and DJ should come in. It's time to get Bowden back in, although I was sure he'd be in for the 'dogs match, then the Hawks so I really don't know.

Bowden is playing forward every week at Coburg so if he comes in it will be to play in the front half. Realistic Tiger has a good point about the bigger bodies, maybe Joel will come in for Edwards. It would be a trade-off of forward pressure versus class and strength. Tough call. More likely omission is White, if he's injured. Joel could come in and start on the bench. Jackson is the other possibility, but it will be two changes max. Patto is struggling a bit but there is no obvious replacement so he'll be there again. I'd like to see him play up forward a bit more, didn't we recruit him as a centre half-forward?
McMahon will play 22 games unless he gets hurt. The argument that he's a soft receiver have been around for years and if TW and Co agreed they would never have recruited him. His best two games were the past two weeks. He's safe.
I don't think Hyde will be in Richmond's next premiership team, but he did a great job on Bateman last week and it would be stupid to drop him after that. Especially when Montagna plays almost exactly the same role. Perfect match-up there.

Bowden is playing forward every week at Coburg

His first game was mostly across half back. 30ish easy uncontested possessions. Last week his first half was unnacountable soft crap. Radio commentry at one stage said he was a joke and should be taken off. He must have been given a reality check at half time (Wallace was there) because he had a very good second half and put his body in for the hard contested possessions.

If he comes in, i will be so dissapointed if he goes down back. For us to move foward, Bowden must also move foward.

I don't think Hyde will be in Richmond's next premiership team, but he did a great job on Bateman last week and it would be stupid to drop him after that. Especially when Montagna plays almost exactly the same role. Perfect match-up there.
Hyde also did a reasonable job on Eagleton the week before. I would never have picked him as a lock down player, but he has done pretty well on a couple of damaging players in the last two weeks. Also got a goal himself against the doggies. If he can get 1 or 2 regularly as well as locking down a wing, he might be an outside chance of reinventing himself.

Bowden is playing forward every week at Coburg so if he comes in it will be to play in the front half. .

Reading this it suddenly occured to me that he wasn't dropped purely on form, but as a warming up/experimental excercise that was deemed better done at Corburg. Is the transformation complete and can we expect him rotating off the HFF as early as this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back