Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing in Otten would be catastrophic in my opinion (pardon the pun).

In Jenkins and Walker, we already have two full time forwards who can't pressure / lay a tackle to save their lives. Lynch plays further up the ground, but is no good in this regard either.

Bringing in Otten, for a final where pressure is pretty much everything, would be dumb. Flat out dumb.

There is no ideal option to replace McGovern, but of the options that are actually in front of the selectors (Otten, Keath, Hampton, Milera, Menzel), Otten is the worst for this particular game.

I actually quite like the idea of bringing in Milera, and sending Greenwood forward to tackle everything in sight. Sloane slots in to the midfield to replace Greenwood in there. Seedsman or Mackay slot in to Smith's half back flank. Milera slots in to the role vacated by Mackay / Seedsman.

It's easy to overrate the importance of McGovern's marking ability. What we really need to replace up forward is his defensive pressure.

For mine, it's been too long since either of Hampton or Menzel have played at the top level. Keath has never played up forward at the top level so I don't like that either. Otten is just super slow and can only replace Walker or Jenkins in the forward line IMO.

Bringing in Otten would be catastrophic in my opinion (pardon the pun).

In Jenkins and Walker, we already have two full time forwards who can't pressure / lay a tackle to save their lives. Lynch plays further up the ground, but is no good in this regard either.

Bringing in Otten, for a final where pressure is pretty much everything, would be dumb. Flat out dumb.

There is no ideal option to replace McGovern, but of the options that are actually in front of the selectors (Otten, Keath, Hampton, Milera, Menzel), Otten is the worst for this particular game.

I actually quite like the idea of bringing in Milera, and sending Greenwood forward to tackle everything in sight. Sloane slots in to the midfield to replace Greenwood in there. Seedsman or Mackay slot in to Smith's half back flank. Milera slots in to the role vacated by Mackay / Seedsman.

It's easy to overrate the importance of McGovern's marking ability. What we really need to replace up forward is his defensive pressure.

For mine, it's been too long since either of Hampton or Menzel have played at the top level. Keath has never played up forward at the top level so I don't like that either. Otten is just super slow and can only replace Walker or Jenkins in the forward line IMO.
Menz could either turn it on and finally make his mark in our team with a real X-factor performance.. or go statless and have his papers stamped.. Maybe its not worth the risk. I like your Milera option

There is some talk that Geelong will pull a different tactic on us this week and run Blicsavs with Lynch to negate his link play. Blicsavs has the engine and workrate to do that so that would be a big hit to our forward transition if he gets the better of Tom, particularly with Brodie Smith out. Therefore we need to have more running power in the side if Mitch fails to recover and therefore I would tend to go with either Hampton or Milera. If we can't get the ball past their defensive screen, then it will be no use having Otten, Menzel or Keath playing up forward IMO

The way I see it is we have 5 realistic options.

Milera - Probably the incumbent selection. Provides more run, skill and poise than the others but seriously lacks the defensive pressure required in a final. Not convinced.

Menzel - The X factor type selection. Has upped his workrate immeasurably in the last 2 years and we've all seen the talent. Hasn't set the world on fire in his AFL time here so far but deserves a go.

Otten - Can play forward or back but his lack of mobility and defensive pressure is a huge query. Is a composed player with a great mark and kick for goal, which will mean Geelongs defenders are accountable but it could backfire.

Hampton - Provides defensive pressure and a big midfield body to add to the rotation. Big query on match fitness and isn't a natural forward.

Keath - Offers similar to Otten but far far more mobile. He does lack experience though and hasn't played forward in the big league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the faintest chance.

Hasn't played forward once for us at AFL level so is not going to suddenly do it in a final.
I think he's a chance, played the scratch match against the Giants forward so he's obviously in the though process

If you had a string you wouldn't be walk and jogging surely. Surely he would be close, and maybe get up for a gf if we make it.

Menzel or Hampton for gov

If you had a string you wouldn't be walk and jogging surely. Surely he would be close, and maybe get up for a gf if we make it.

Menzel or Hampton for gov
Risking him means a good chance he'll go down early during the prelim. Wouldn't be wise imo. Unfortunate but he would just have to hope we win and go into full recovery mode.

afc.com.au reports that Gov is running and completed a session today. Burton is quoted as saying he is unlikely to play this week. I have a feeling he'll take his place in the side. Seems smokescreenish to me. Problem hammy t hat will keep him out this week, yet he's running already?

Maybe your coach should watch those games, we tagged both Dangermouse and Sellwood right out of the games, drove em nuts, do that, and you win.!
GROTTO has all ready pointed out that Diverflog might play forward. Does one-on-one = a tag? ;)
I'll bet that Pyke and Co have watched the games you mentioned --- a few times.

Not the faintest chance.

Hasn't played forward once for us at AFL level so is not going to suddenly do it in a final.

Beech would have to be a chance. He's been in the emergencies most weeks since he was omitted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Back