Game Day Changes, prematch discussion & GDT vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on availability, it's fairly simple
In: Swallow, Well, Thompson!!
Out (unlucky): Nahas, Tippett, Greenwood
Kills me to say Greenwood but he has been good without being great since the Port game, while Gibson and McKenzie keep getting better and better. To have such good players missing out is a bloody good thing though. We have some of the best depth in the league!
Btw, there's also the potential of dropping Daw and keeping Nahas depending on what structure we want to go, although I'd say at Etihad, I want to give Majak a chance to show his stuff. His game is well suited there.
McKenzie out before Levi. One good kick doesn't equal a good game. Massive over reaction to one good kick.

Mckenzie's full games have been impressive.
He has had one good game. The rest have been very underwhelming. As I said if he misses Petrie last night with that kick he has no impact at all.

Greenwood had more impact as sub than McKenzie has. People are blinded by the odd good kick from McKenzie, but the rest of his game needs a lot of work.

Danger game next week against the suns. We'll be flat from the trip and I'm not sure many teams have won the week after the perth trip, but we owe them one for last year. If we can back it up its another sign of maturity
Yep just like the Sydney game.
We fought bloody hard to win against free-ho and not many Vic sides can back up the week after. If we beat the suns this week it will be an extraordinary achievement!

Wells for Bastinac or Mullet. (Purley form based, I've noticed a lack of impact)

Firrito for Thompson. Lets just rest him. We all know Firrito can keep his form, versing a younger group would be more beneficial for Tippett than him. Do we want the same problem as Delaney and lack of opportunities?

Whenever you have a couple more than decent inclusions to come in after a win, it's always going to seem harsh. This will be even worse when Swallow and Tarrant are available. But for this week:

Out: Tippett, Nahas
In: Thompson, Wells

Either McKenzie or Greenwood to sub. Nahas has been okay, but having Ziebell now gives us another (albeit different) option forward without him.

Greenwood might just need another rocket; maybe he's entitled to have average/servicable weeks like most of our other players. We'll see how he goes this week, I'd prefer that he starts for one more week. If he's 'see ball get ball' and still not getting the ball a whole lot, then he does need a rocket.

Firrito stays. Holy hell, that back into the pack on the weekend was everything you'd expect from the #11 North guernsey. He's been great. Again, how hard is it going to be when BMac returns?

We still have the better Delaney waiting in the wings.

As an astute observer of the Shannon Watt era, I must note that the problems we have fitting these players into our backline, are better than the problems we used to have.

I know its been said already...

Don't rush Wells and Swallow back in too soon, we have a bye in a fortnight, gives them another 3 weeks.
unleash all hell on Brisbane on May17.

in - Thompson
out - Tippett (rough)

If Swallow and Wells are right to go, they play. From the sounds of things Wells just has a badly bruised foot, certainly doesn't sound like we'd be 'risking' him. It's amazing the level of complacency that takes over this board when we have a win. Reminds me of comments along the lines of 'don't change a winning team, keep Jacobs in and make Ziebell earn his spot'. Pick the best bloody team.

If Swallow and Wells are right to go, they play. From the sounds of things Wells just has a badly bruised foot, certainly doesn't sound like we'd be 'risking' him. It's amazing the level of complacency that takes over this board when we have a win. Reminds me of comments along the lines of 'don't change a winning team, keep Jacobs in and make Ziebell earn his spot'. Pick the best bloody team.
Some people can play through pains and niggling injuries.

Wells is not one of these people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some players are going to be really unlucky :(

For GC

out: Tippett (was really good)
In: Thompson

Give Wells another week off plus the bye, then bring him and Spitta back for Brisbane.

why are people assuming GC will be some easy beats?
if wells is fit enough to play, he should play.
gold coast aren't rubbish anymore.
we can't afford to rest players for the sake of it.
******* hell, the arrogance is ridiculous.
My call on Wells has nothing to do with who we are playing.

My call on Wells has nothing to do with who we are playing.
And I agree with that call. Wells needs to be right, not limping around. Regardless of who we are playing at this stage of the season we are better off getting him cherry ripe than risking further complications.

Because like the way they took there time with ziebell, it allowed players to step up such as cunnington. If wells isnt 100 percent, like ziebell why risk it? How do you expect players to develop

What ridiculous is your constant calls of "arrogance" on this board. All I'm seeing is fairly measured responses in this thread.

Noone I can see here is being arrogant. Wells doesn not perform great when not 100%. We have a game we SHOULD win anyway then a bye. It is important to play people who are inform and fit. Look at Collingwood atm. They have been no change for 3 weeks with some best 22 players in the magoos. Winning form should not be messed with.

IN: Thompson
OUT: Tippett

Wells for Nahas only if he smashes it at 100% on the track all week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Out: Tippett (did well so disappointing, but he's not in our best 3 key backs, Thompson is our best key back), Nahas (close to there fitness-wise, but surely can't keep his spot with Wells to return, who else could go out?)

In: Thommo, Wells

I've already started to worry about the Suns, are they likely to have Bennell back? Matera will be back. Ablett-Prestia-Swallow-Rischitelli-O'Meara is excellent, and we're no Hawthorn. Suns will take it right to us, if we bring Sydney/Fremantle/Port effort we win as we should, we bring Essendon/Collingwood and the Suns jump at us again.

Their kids have the same mongrel, desire and intensity as ours do, and Ablett is huge. As posted on MB, Day and Lynch will soon have a day out (one of them anyway), hopefully they get it out of the way tomorrow v GWS but we will need Thompson-Grima-Hansen-Firrito to continue working as their unit.
Thats the only reason Nahas could go out. I thought he was excellent.

McKenzie had seven touches in under a quarter. He was good when he came on. I see no benefit in dropping him, he's developing steadily.

I actually like him as the sub at the moment, I don't think he would of had that sort of impact in the first half when it was heavily contested.

He is such an asset when players tire and the game opens up, gives him time to hit up passes like the one we saw to Petrie.

Because like the way they took there time with ziebell, it allowed players to step up such as cunnington. If wells isnt 100 percent, like ziebell why risk it? How do you expect players to develop
but that's the point. who said wells isn't 100%?
people are already saying to give him another week. why? no one has said he isn't 100% so your point isn't relevant.

I just hope we pick our best available side in every game we play. There are no easy games and Gold Coast will certainly present a different challenge.

people are already saying to give him another week. why? no one has said he isn't 100% so your point isn't relevant.

I just hope we pick our best available side in every game we play. There are no easy games and Gold Coast will certainly present a different challenge.
I liked your post because I agree strongly with the 'best available' sentiment. And/but, it assumes some people are assuming - not without some grounding - that Wellsy might not be right, not that he needs to be rested.

He didnt play last week. Why is that?

I think it is safer to assume he aint 100% than he is. Until I see him smash it at training I'll stick to that. Watching him train last week he looked a fair way off tbh.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back