Preview Changes & Preview for Semi Final 2 vs Hawthorn @AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out - Dixon , Rat , Jed

IN - Viseentini , Marshall , Sinn

Francis Evabs ( Sub)

Hawthorn having a gameplan that makes Sam Frost look a competent AFL player should have the club concerned.

Honestly, if it's Hinkley's last game, he may as well go out on form.

Keep in Jed, Dixon, Narkle, Franky Evans, Burton, etc. Perhaps drop in Lycett and Jonas for good measure.

We need a response on Friday. I can handle losing if we play well and give good honest effort but not when it’s raising the white flag and rolling over and dying like we did on Thursday.

The 2020 prelim loss I walked away shattered we narrowly missed a chance to play in a gf/win a premiership but i thought the effort was there that night and we played pretty well and confidently for most of it. So there was still a sense of pride.

But every finals loss since then has been a horrible performance, where we’ve been comprehensively smashed and every facet from effort, game plan, mental space, etc has been brought into question.

Quite frankly the last 4 finals games have been diabolical performances. With Thursday night being the worst of them all after we’d been led to believe it was going to be different this time.

Whilst I was nervous and worried about Geelong, I was cautiously optimistic and I’m annoyed with myself to feel that way when I should’ve known better.

I know a loss on Friday ends the Hinkley era, but I still don’t want to go out in straight sets. I certainly don’t want to see those cocky upstarts from hawthorn carrying on like they’ve won the flag and rubbing it in our faces. Surely I’m not the only one that finds them annoying?

I want a response and I want to win. I feel like as a supporter base we need this.

Everyone has written us off too, which will make a win on Friday even more special.

And I would like to see us have a crack at Sydney in a prelim, we always seem to match up well against them.

I don’t want to give up just yet, it’s really hard not to but I can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
This more than any other reason is why I desperately want Ken gone. The next bloke might not win a flag either, in fact he more than likely won't, but at least I'll be able to go to the football and actually want us to win again. That's all I need to re-sign as a member. This should be an impossibly low bar for a football club to clear, but the mismanagement at Ken Hinkley FC means we've failed to clear it.
And be able to enjoy a minor round win without thinking "what's the point"

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I want him gone but I can’t continue us being a finals laughing stock.

We need to win a friggen game it’s embarrassing, Thursday was embarrassing and I could have left a quarter time knowing what our result will be!

Err, yeah.. all supporters should want the win not a loss, just to sack the coach.

We exist to win premierships

Not

We just want our team to lose so the coach is sacked and we feel all goo-ey inside 🙄

Potato comment

Hah this is hilarious. You still believe we're gonna do something in finals after
  • THE BEST FINALS SET-UP EVER
  • A FRESH SQUAD
  • STILL NOT GIVING EVEN A TINY YELP. TO THE TUNE OF 84 POINTS - A RECORD HINKLEY FINALS LOSS
How cute. If the players can't be motivated to put in a proper effort, with the reward of a home prelim on the end of it, WHEN can they be ****ing motivated? And it was not even close, it was a record losing margin for Hinkley. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

We exist to be conned again and again by Hinkley, and to clap along happily.

You're free to wanna win it, I was only asking the question. But I for one, am ****ing over it. Get rid of the prick NOW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Buckley keep saying that hawthorn should’ve won last time they played us, why? We beat them fair and squarely didn’t we, I can’t recall anything controversial other than hawthorn running out of gas and us finishing the game really strong. We actually led most statistical categories that game and I do recall hawthorn getting a pretty good ride from the umps to get them going in the first half and we had 6 more scoring shots but apparently we didn’t deserve it?

And why is Riewoldt like a kid in a candy store thinking out loud about us getting smashed by hawthorn. He may be right but seemed a bit unprofessional. Why does he hate port anyway? We are literally the most inoffensive team going around that literally hasn’t inflicted pain on anyone, yet you see all these media identities like Riewoldt, Lyon, King etc barracking for us to lose. I don’t get it.

Why does Buckley keep saying that hawthorn should’ve won last time they played us, why? We beat them fair and squarely didn’t we, I can’t recall anything controversial other than hawthorn running out of gas and us finishing the game really strong. We actually led most statistical categories that game and I do recall hawthorn getting a pretty good ride from the umps to get them going in the first half and we had 6 more scoring shots but apparently we didn’t deserve it?

And why is Riewoldt like a kid in a candy store thinking out loud about us getting smashed by hawthorn. He nay be right but seem a bit unprofessional, why does he hate port? We are literally the most inoffensive team going around that literally hasn’t inflicted pain on anyone, yet you see all these media identities like Riewoldt, Lyon, King etc barracking for us to lose. I don’t get it.

Were not Victorian as Tribey likened us, were the Washington Generals of the AFL.

Alright I’ll try and do a ‘how can we actually win this game’ post.

So we don’t have our best defensive ball users. So we can’t kick through the corridor like we have been doing.

We have one tall forward, who is a lead up forward, and no one who is good at clunking a pack mark or retaining it in the forward line. So the territory game is out.

And basically we don’t have anyone that can come in. We’ve also made a hole for ourselves

The Hawks are fast, agile and skilful. They have also become tough as nails. Their outside game is excellent. They spread and stretch the ground, allowing their elite kicks to move through presses with ease and get behind defensive set ups. Their smalls lead and crumb and role up into the midfield to out number.

The hawks weakness is the tall forwards and backs. Good forwards or backs can get a hold of them. Sicily is still a lynch pin.

So how do we beat them? Realistically we don’t, it’s very much a question of the hawks by how many.

But what can we do?

Well we can try and correct some of the issues but keep the game plan. So Lord for Dixon or back Dixon in. Sinn for McEntee or Evans, Sinn to HBF and DBJ to the forward line. This is probably what we do and Mitchell will have us sorted by quarter time.

For mine I think we need to emphasise our strength and avoid theirs. So close down the game, reduce the space, make it in close, a rolling melee with heavy contests. Utilise Boak, Wines, Drew, Mead and JHF who are all good inside. Ball has to stay inside and we can’t let them feed it out. Force them to hoof it long and let our backs out mark their weaker opponents. We need to then use the width and space and have players like Sinn, Rozee, Lorenz, Burgoyne, DBJ to run and carry through that space. Our forwards will initially have to push up into the midfield to help close down the space and will then need to beeline it back to the goals, disrupting cohesion and ensuring Sicily can’t set up as their lynch pin.

And why is Riewoldt like a kid in a candy store thinking out loud about us getting smashed by hawthorn. He may be right but seemed a bit unprofessional. Why does he hate port anyway? We are literally the most inoffensive team going around that literally hasn’t inflicted pain on anyone, yet you see all these media identities like Riewoldt, Lyon, King etc barracking for us to lose. I don’t get it.

It's just Victorians predominantly that say that crap about Port being lucky, didn't deserve to win, etc, and Hawks should be 2nd etc.. it's just garbage.

Because their logic would remind the same with Port beating Carlton and even Melbourne at their home games too. Port were predicted to lose. Port were down in both. The Carlton one Port came out after half time and put pressure on them and won. Same as Melbourne.

Same as Freo. They pulled away and Freo buckled and were predicted to win.

That's just what they do in the Victoria bubble. It's all primarily about them and their clubs. Yes it sucks with Port always being labelled chokers, etc.. and it was good winning that 04 flag to rub it into them. Hopefully, yes, hopefully they pull it off this year somehow...

The geelong game they were expected to win... maybe, just maybe, being the under dog and not expected to, is a blessing becoming normally Port win those ones.

Pies game earlier at the G, predicted to win because of pies form etc.. came out strong but flopped.

Lions game, Port predicted to win and comfortably. Got smashed.

Geelong game at the cattery predicted to lose and the under dog. Win

Dogs at home predicted to be smashed. Smashed the dogs

Same as Sydney at home..

Carlton at home Port were predicted to win and lost..

Carlton home Port to lose but won..

Etc etc..

Touch wood - Port being the under dogs now and expected to be smashed - win

I think there actually was a timing controversy during the game, such that it should have finished 20-40 second all sooner than it did.

But agreed - frustrating discussion. We should have beaten Melbourne early in the year. Every team has experienced the highs and lows of close games - it’s all irrelevant now.

But what can we do?

Well we can try and correct some of the issues but keep the game plan.

The shitty game plan is not the reason we lost.

We've had the shitty game plan all year and still won, on the back of our players putting in actual solid efforts.

I was watching that game in disbelief, asking myself

"Why does Geelong have 3 players swooping on that ball and we only have 1??"

The answer is - players could not be ****ed running. They could not be ****ed working hard enough in a game where we had a home prelim waiting as the prize.

That's not game plan. That's just weak-mindedness engendered by a weak-minded coach.

QED

I honestly find it hard to believe that any port fan would be sitting at home watching port play in a final cheering on the opposition that includes self indulged clowns like Jack Ginnivan just because they want Hinkley sacked.

That's what over a decade of incompetence and fan shaming does.

So we don’t have our best defensive ball users. So we can’t kick through the corridor like we have been doing.

We have one tall forward, who is a lead up forward, and no one who is good at clunking a pack mark or retaining it in the forward line. So the territory game is out.

And basically we don’t have anyone that can come in. We’ve also made a hole for ourselves

The Hawks are fast, agile and skilful. They have also become tough as nails. Their outside game is excellent. They spread and stretch the ground, allowing their elite kicks to move through presses with ease and get behind defensive set ups. Their smalls lead and crumb and role up into the midfield to out number.

The hawks weakness is the tall forwards and backs. Good forwards or backs can get a hold of them. Sicily is still a lynch pin.

So how do we beat them? Realistically we don’t, it’s very much a question of the hawks by how many.

But what can we do?

Well we can try and correct some of the issues but keep the game plan. So Lord for Dixon or back Dixon in. Sinn for McEntee or Evans, Sinn to HBF and DBJ to the forward line. This is probably what we do and Mitchell will have us sorted by quarter time.

For mine I think we need to emphasise our strength and avoid theirs. So close down the game, reduce the space, make it in close, a rolling melee with heavy contests. Utilise Boak, Wines, Drew, Mead and JHF who are all good inside. Ball has to stay inside and we can’t let them feed it out. Force them to hoof it long and let our backs out mark their weaker opponents. We need to then use the width and space and have players like Sinn, Rozee, Lorenz, Burgoyne, DBJ to run and carry through that space. Our forwards will initially have to push up into the midfield to help close down the space and will then need to beeline it back to the goals, disrupting cohesion and ensuring Sicily can’t set up as their lynch pin.

Best bet is to actually keep Dixon in then. Definitely move Darcy up forward again. Get the 1 on 1 defence structure that had against essendon in 2nd quarter which pressured them too much and port took them apart.

Hawks back line relies on their intercepting primarily, so Weddle and Sicily. Frost will no doubt go to Dixon. They'll want Sicily to float mainly and run off his opponent to intercept any balls coming to Dixon whilst frost competes with him. Best bet they can try, is make Dixon more a decoy. Let him run further up the ground to compete in air of need be but take frost out and hopefully confuse the others. Will it work? Dunno. But there was a game Dixon played further up ground and actually created better forward access and contesting.

Sicily will possibly go to Marshall if he's in and Weddle to Georgiades. Maybe.

This is where the other forwards need to shine their craft and create leads.. need to keep their main interceptors further away from contention.

Sweet rucking against Meek should be fine IMO it's just up to the mids to do their work and work together.

Hopefully, they watch Hawks kick ins because they love clustering on one side and using running decoys whilst amon or impie run out and kick to a target that's got plenty of room alone.

But what can we do?

I don’t think our whole game plan hinges on two players. If it does that’s a huge issue in itself as a game plan should never be heavily reliant on key individuals but I think we played pretty well in the second half against freo without Houston and Farrell?

I think they’ve become an excuse for what was another case of stage fright and the cats just wanting it more and outworking us all over the ground. We had no run, no fight and zero confidence.

Yeah we definitely lost 2 handy players but we just need to come to fckn play on Friday, there are no doubt some fundamental flaws in the Hinkley game plan, especially against good oppo in finals but we gave ourselves no hope against Geelong with the level of effort and intensity shown.

Friday will be 10 years to the day since we last won a knockout final (the only other clubs to have not won a knockout final in this time are the SUNS and famously Essendon). A decade of abject failure. Great way to finish off the Hinkley era. Bye loser.

And be able to enjoy a minor round win without thinking "what's the point"

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not even 'what's the point'. I could live with 'what's the point'. I just want to be able to enjoy a minor round win without thinking "is this win going to be the difference between sacking Hinkley and keeping him?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back