Preview Changes & Preview for Semi Final 2 vs Hawthorn @AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd consider Soldo but it'd be to play ruck not forward.

I'm for Sweet but you simply can't play badly in finals and not pay a price.

Problem is Soldo has played 1 full sanfl game 2 weeks ago and that was his 1st full hit out in nearly 2 months.

Soldo wouldn't run out a final on the preparation he's had leading up to now.

Sweet and Meek match up ok physically and don't play a dissimilar game. Meek marginally ahead on clearances and hit outs to advantage but thats with Will Day playing.

Think Sweet is lucky Dante hasn't earned the trust to play in a final but he's still the best option.

The main issue we have is that we have Plan A and no Plan B.
Plan A doesn't hold up well against good opposition and finals and especially both.

The really, really, really main issue is that the players know this. Deep in their hearts they know this.

They battle hard for the first half of the game and then when it becomes obvious that no matter what they do, they are getting beat by the opposition's gameplan and not that they are fundamentally better than us, they stop trying.

There are plenty of other issues but not believing in the coaches gameplan is the main one. Well, it's not even a matter of belief anymore it is just fact.

I haven't bothered too much with ins and outs because it is not going to matter.

Jimmy Bartel said it well, if they turn it around, it would be the biggest turnaround just about ever.

If we cop a loss of 45+ will there be cheering for Ken as he walks off rather than booing?

This could get ugly post game.

The main issue we have is that we have Plan A and no Plan B.
Plan A doesn't hold up well against good opposition and finals and especially both.

The really, really, really main issue is that the players know this. Deep in their hearts they know this.

They battle hard for the first half of the game and then when it becomes obvious that no matter what they do, they are getting beat by the opposition's gameplan and not that they are fundamentally better than us, they stop trying.

There are plenty of other issues but not believing in the coaches gameplan is the main one. Well, it's not even a matter of belief anymore it is just fact.

Only 4 goals down at half time last week and they came out after the break like they didn’t want to be there.

I don't believe we can go into this game without a serious change in our game plan. Bombing the ball into a pack of players and then trying to lock the ball in our forward line was a disaster last week. Hawthorn's smalls would be licking their lips at the prospect of counter attack. I would slow the forward entry right down. Slow the game right down. Make Hawthorn frustrated for possession. That's all of got. Not much I know.

If we cop a loss of 45+ will there be cheering for Ken as he walks off rather than booing?

This could get ugly post game.
The Hawks have that young, hungry energy. They've been down for a while and there are a few players who haven't won a lot of stuff so they will be aching to put a stake through the heart of us.

If we are off early, the booing could start rather quickly.

If the boys play well, it will be a huge turnaround and not out of the possibility but it is close to Buckley's.

Mitchell just watched Chris Scott win the pre game mind games with Stewart. Releasing the Frost news early his daring us to keep Dixon in and play Marshall. If anyone one’s going to play 4 key forwards it’s our man Kenny.

Winning this would arguably take the most extraordinary performance in our entire AFL history. It just isn't happening.
Don't get sucked in to the media bullshit. We're 2nd playing against 7th at home. Winning this would just require showing some basic competence.

Don't get me wrong, we're coached by Ken Hinkley and it's a final so we'll still probably fail that test, but if we were to pass it, it wouldn't require anything 'extraordinary'.

I'm for Sweet but you simply can't play badly in finals and not pay a price.

Problem is Soldo has played 1 full sanfl game 2 weeks ago and that was his 1st full hit out in nearly 2 months.

Soldo wouldn't run out a final on the preparation he's had leading up to now.

Sweet and Meek match up ok physically and don't play a dissimilar game. Meek marginally ahead on clearances and hit outs to advantage but thats with Will Day playing.

Think Sweet is lucky Dante hasn't earned the trust to play in a final but he's still the best option.

Jordan Sweet was credited with 51 effective hit outs against Geelong. Even if there is a 20% error in the 'effective' rating that is still 40 effective hit outs. We were not killed because we didn't get first hand to the ball we were killed because our on ball brigade didn't make use of the ruck advantage. I will concede the fact that Sweet did not do enough around the ground but there is no guarantee that Soldo or Visentini would do any better. If you look at the stats of the three players they are remarkably similar.

If someone has to go it should be Charlie Dixon who has reached the end. These days big Charlie tries hard but contributes little.

I would leave Sweet in the side but drop Dixon and bring in Todd Marshall despite his durability risk.

Last edited:
Houston & Farrell wouldn't have stopped what happened against Geelong because the fundamental flaw is how we defend and push up the field, what you've lost is two quality ball users that can set up chains but they ain't stopping opposition forwards running riot the same shit has happened when they've been there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't bothered too much with ins and outs because it is not going to matter.

Jimmy Bartel said it well, if they turn it around, it would be the biggest turnaround just about ever.

In round 16 we lost to Brisbane by 79 points then won narrowly the next week against St Kilda in Melbourne and followed up by beating the Western Bulldogs in Adelaide by 48 points. As Ken points out it can be done. The question is can we repeat the trick?

With the best will in the world, I can’t see us getting over the Hawks. But, I'll be there, just in case

A week ago most would’ve been expecting us to win easily. Like they were against the cats. Things can change quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

to win last time jhf had to carry us from qtrs 1-3, houston had to kick 3 goals as a defender and butters had to have 17touches ,5 score involvement and 5 clearances in the last qtr.

potenitally missing 2 of these players. i wonder who will try to step up? Its rozee's time to prove us wrong

this game should be mostly protests/chants/songs/banners etc. who actually cares about another semi final under Koch's Power

What’s up with Marshall, I know he hasn’t been in the senior side for a while? Have seen a few comments around concussion, is that the reason for his most recent absence?
Yes he's had a number of head knocks.

Don't get Twitter - it's a toilet now Musk owns it. Should be wiped from the earth.

Let's be real here, it was a toilet before he bought it.

Don't get sucked in to the media bullshit. We're 2nd playing against 7th at home. Winning this would just require showing some basic competence.

Don't get me wrong, we're coached by Ken Hinkley and it's a final so we'll still probably fail that test, but if we were to pass it, it wouldn't require anything 'extraordinary'.

As I posted elsewhere, the 2nd/7th stuff is so misleading. Literally the difference between those positions, and them finishing higher than us, was the last 10-second miracle soccer by Byrne-Jones.

Amon and Impey wouldn’t laugh at your club, they still love it. Much like Chad, and that’s got a lot to do with one of your greatest ever staffers, Pauly Vandenberg.

Too right. Glad that people outside our club could see Pauly's contribution. Absolute legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back