Preview Changes & Preview for Semi Final 2 vs Hawthorn @AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll absolutely pay that re. 2023. Not sure about this year.

Farrell/Pep our only serious injures come finals time, who would make our 23.

Dixon isn't injured, he can no longer move in a way that meets the needs of a league standard KPF and has been that way for 2 years now. That rests solely on the coaching group for continuing to play him despite everyone being able to see this limitation. Marshall fit and able to play, just no backing.

Butters ribs either pays off or it doesn't, but you take the risk given his importance to the side.

Nobody is injured when we are winning. “We couldn’t be fitter!” It’s only when we lose that, suddenly, we have a bunch of injuries.

Choco finals record
01 1-1
02 1-2
03 1-2
04 3-0
05 0-1
07 2-1

8-7 overall with a GF

What’s Kenny average? 5-8 now?

'01 0-2 (straight sets bounced by Brisbane & Hawthorn).

'05 1-1 (smashed North first week in Elim final)

8-9 total for Choc

Choco finals record:

99 0-1
01 0-2
02 1-2
03 1-2
04 3-0
05 1-1
07 2-1

8-9 overall (with a GF)

Hinkley finals record:

13 1-1
14 2-1
17 0-1
20 1-1
21 1-1
23 0-2
24 0-1

5-8 overall (no GF)

Another change I'd make is make Tredders the coach

He's smarter than our head coach

"I still think yeah fundamentally there's some things they could have done better, from a coaching point of view, and a
positional point of view, and whether you play Horne-Francis then or not, but it all comes back to application and effort from players. Like, you've gotta bring your best fundamentally, and collectively - probably only had 4 blokes win their spot, or break even. You're not gonna win unless you get that."
- Warren Tredrea

Exactly what some of us have been saying.

"I still think yeah fundamentally there's some things they could have done better, from a coaching point of view, and a
positional point of view, and whether you play Horne-Francis then or not, but it all comes back to application and effort from players. Like, you've gotta bring your best fundamentally, and collectively - probably only had 4 blokes win their spot, or break even. You're not gonna win unless you get that."
- Warren Tredrea

For the application and effort to be absent for 1 or 2 finals is different to being absent in most finals games.

And the reason why it's lacking in most finals games is because the players themselves don't trust it or don't know what next to do when their gameplan is broken down inside the first 10 minutes

Not that Hawthorn will need any of the umpiring they received during their three-peat to beat us this time, but the AFL are going to want at least one more Victorian team to advance through.

One way or another, we’re completely screwed for this week.

- Warren Tredrea

The question is why did the players drop their bundle from about 10 minutes to do in the 2nd half.

I would say the coach only has one gameplan and it becomes obvious after a while to the players whether it is going to work or not and in a final like this, they know no matter what they do, they are not going to win which eventually erodes the will to compete. Doubling down on that is the lack of accountability that will be asked of the players and the coach.

I'm sure everyone has had a bad leader in their sports, business or family life which leads to a toxic environment and how this works. It's not ideal and most people run for the hills. You can't do that in footy but you can stop trying.

Both not great though. Gives us an overall finals record of 13-17 which is poor.

Port is most probably AFL's greatest underachiever.

I think you’ll see a step up in effort, JHF on the ground, however once the faux Port gets its first 10min out the way then you’ll see if we can sustain the effort against a well drilled team.

Not sure we get pumped like we did against Geelong but will need to bring absolute effort for 4 quarters, if the Hawks play well and it’s tight, our mentality to fold probably happens at some point.

What happened last week will just be lurking under the surface.

You just dont want to face the hawks. You want the easy win against port in the prelim

Awesome year by Hawks but Would prefer Hawks actually. 76 point win at MCG and all. Also think we match up well on you with our rebound style.

Haven’t beaten Port for 8 years I think ?, a true bogey side. Just think they will rally - their late season form was strong before the shocker last week.

Should be a great game, can’t wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So unpredictable what happens in this game. We'll either get the inevitable 'Do It For Daddy!' resurgence from the team and win by 8 goals.

Problem is the Hawks are well-coached and will have a game plan. They won't be susceptible to a transparent game plan. Mitchell will counteract whatever we throw at them with a backup plan.

Buckley mentioned the difference between Port and Geelong during the pregame last week. Geelong were laughing, dancing and generally having a good time whereas Port were steely and super serious. The same thing happened last year, Collingwood managed to have a laugh whereas our boys looked so wound up during the finals. Can’t help but think maybe we’re a little too old school in the rev up.
It's easy to feel relaxed and confident when you have a plan to win.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the Rachelle teeth gag was just having a laugh with the radio twats ..

No you use this shit this is the shit that gets people up this is the shit that makes butters snap that makes JHF snap it should make Connor snap ..

This Poindexter just looked past 22 players ..

You go out their and make the campaigner wish he was on holidays in 14 days ..

Pffft ****ing mod on a port board no wonder why we are ****ing soft

Yeah I’m the soft one for not getting triggered by a silly instagram post by the leagues biggest shit stirrer.

If a light hearted instagram post is what it takes for our players to show a bit of fight then we really are ****ed.

I didn’t say the players can’t use it as motivation or that they shouldn’t get stuck in to Ginnivan, but any one who has a legitimate issue with what he posted needs to grow up a bit.

Lol Port is the last team on the planet Sydney want to play. Go look at the H2H. They'll be ecstatic for you guys to knock us out.
Sorry to butt in after I caused a big bunfight in the ' sack hinkley ' thread, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Sydney have been a bogey side for Port for many years prior to the current streak, every bit as bad as Geelong and North Melbourne. Up to the start of the current streak in 2017, the head to head record is pretty diabolical:
Rd 1 2017
17.8​
12.1​
Port Adelaide
28​
SCG8\203 - C Wingard, A Young

Good point. Those who can remember that soft free kick in the Hawthorn backline in the last minute of the 2014 prelim would be shaking their heads in anguish at how Stevic can again be given any control of a cut throat Hawthorn / PA final.

Last edited:
Streaks in minor round games mean absolutely nothing particularly with us. Sydney are not losing a home prelim.
Sadly, as much as I would love to see their arses get roasted by whoever play them, I think you're right. We all have to remember that they are the AFL's ' love child ' and to quote Leigh Matthews - a protected species.

Streaks in minor round games mean absolutely nothing particularly with us. Sydney are not losing a home prelim.
Its been 8 years since they have beat us, i know it is in the home and away season, but still.

Its been 8 years since they have beat us, i know it is in the home and away season, but still.
A 100 plus point turnaround from the last meeting will be another embarrassment for the club.

All this is provided we get past Hawthorn which seems a stretch lol

Port is most probably AFL's greatest underachiever.
IDK. How do we compare with other clubs? I just had a quick look at the crows from 2001 and they are 10-15. West Coast are 14-15. I am sure Geelong has done well in finals. But I doubt we are the only ones with a negative finals record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back