Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

We could potentially win against the swans if we:

- review their game thoroughly and identify their key strengths and how to negate them.

- review our game thoroughly. Highlight what we did well and what we need to improve.

- recover extremely well. It was an intense game and there will be very sore bodies.

- train and prepare really well.

- goal kicking; set shots and on the run.

- be switched on from the start.

- chase, tackle and harass.

- select the best 23. No Dixon. Ratugolea plays as 2nd ruck. Never use wines as ruck.

- our good track record against the swans is good. This one will be the most important and biggest ever.

Brains trust…. How do I not end up divorced next Friday?

Foolishly married a swans supporter.
Have that long wild sex session before the game, that way you are too tired to get over stimulated by the game.

Good news is, I don't need to waste $400 on prelim tickets this year. I can actually sit there and if it all goes to shit not curse myself for getting sucked in again.

Bad news is it feels like we're limping into the prelim against a fresh and absolutely firing Sydney, who are absolutely due to beat us.

You don't get to a prelim every year, so gotta jump on board for the miracle now. I just won't accept the Geelong game effort. It must be tonight's effort again or I'm out.

Bergman tags Heeney all over the ground.

I dont think we have a good match up for Papely. I'd be tempted to play Butters on him and they can spend the whole night antagonising each other. They are both highly skilled pests.

I dont think we have a good match up for Papely. I'd be tempted to play Butters on him and they can spend the whole night antagonising each other. They are both highly skilled pests.
I’ve got a bit more faith in Jones, Burgoyne or Sinn being able to track Papley and Hayward around their forward line after tonight. Drew to Heeney in the middle and Bergman to him in defence.

Papley did a couple of amazing things last week late in the game which got Sydney through he really sparks that mob.

I’ve got a bit more faith in Jones, Burgoyne or Sinn being able to track Papley and Hayward around their forward line after tonight. Drew to Heeney in the middle and Bergman to him in defence.
Papely is the best small forward in the game given Toby has had an average year. Need someone fast, smart and understands that he will try and do something tricky. Dont think one of our kids can go with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a bit left field but I'd try Rioli on Papley.

Rioli has the footy smarts to go with him, and can set up play from defence on the turnover.

Move Sweet to full forward and bring Dixon back to play ruck. Dixon is the more aggressive player and needs to be around the ball so he doesn't get stuck in the mud in the forward line.

Bringing in SPP for his first game back after a knee reconstruction in a prelim final also could prove to be a stroke of genius left field decision that will catch Sydney unaware. If he can run, he plays. Heart and soul player.

If Farrell is ready to go then he comes back in for Lorenz and plays half forward in the Rioli role. Move Narkle back to Sub and DBJ up to a wing/midfield role so JHF can spend more time up forward.

I'd also be tempted to throw Aliir up forward for a quarter and try to throw Sydney out of whack. He came from the Sydney system and will know how to exploit their defence, and with his strong marking I think he'd provide a point of difference. Allow Georgiades to run and jump at the ball and get an intercept game going.

Give Butters the week off in case we win so he can be fresh for the grand final. It's clear he's in discomfort and we need him at his best of we are any chance at winning the grand final.

I'd also swap Wines and Ratugolea around. I saw signs from Ratugolea that he has the capacity to break through tackles and use his power to explode out of stoppage. His lack of marking or forward ability then gets taken out of the equation and as he's a similar physique to Wines, it's the logical choice.

Bergman has been great in defence this year but he got beaten today, so it's time to change up his role. Put him at high half forward, he knows how to kick goals and his defensive ability will allow us to lock it in to our forward 50 better. Travis Boak slots back in to sure up the defence with maturity and experience.

All in all, I'd line up like this

B: Rioli, BZT, Boak
HB: L. Evans, Georgiades (1st qtr only), Jones
C: DBJ, Ratugolea, Burgoyne
HF: SPP, Wines, Farrell
F: Sweet, Aliir (1st qtr), Bergman
R: Dixon, Drew, Rozee
Int: F.Evans, JHF, Sinn, Mead
Sub: Narkle

In: SPP, Farrell, Dixon
Out: Marshall (inj), Butters (inj) Lorenz

I hate how, despite continuous failures from our small forwards throughout the season, we never gave Tommy A a go. Would he have been worse than FEvans or McEntee?

Fwiw the 4 talls against Swan's undersized backline may work. So Dixon can come back for FEvans and I for once wouldn't be unhappy with that.

Ken said in his presser that Farrell will be put through a fitness test so that'll be interesting. If he's fit, I would have Narkle as sub and get Sinn to take the wing and get Boak to play the high HF role with Farrell resuming normal services off HB. My preference would be the 3 talls. If Farrell isn't fit I'd start Lorenz on the wing and push Boak up. He can't be worse than FEvans there

My Toby Thurstans pick for this week is: Hugh Jackson.

Name him as an emergency, have Marshall pull out ill and bring him in to follow a Swans mid and run off them.

Those who watch the maggies know what I'm talking about.

My Toby Thurstans pick for this week is: Hugh Jackson.

Name him as an emergency, have Marshall pull out ill and bring him in to follow a Swans mid and run off them.

Those who watch the maggies know what I'm talking about.

Injured and out for the year.

Would have played already otherwise.

He can't take a trick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back