Trent McKenzie (quad) - season
Kyle Marshall (shoulder) - season
Jeremy Finlayson (spleen) - season
Sam Powell-Pepper (knee) - season

Dan Houston - Kangaroo Court - season
Burton ?
Dixon ?

Last edited:
Thanks to the negligence of our club with its reserves, there's hardly a player to call upon. The only true performer all season was Clurey. The rest showed 10 minutes here and there, if that. If you don't watch the reserves you don't know how pathetic they were. Lorenz is in the side purely because of numbers and no other kid comes close to that. We're playing these finals with about 16 worthy players.

The phrase "correlation does not imply causation" refers to the inability to legitimately deduce a cause-and-effect relationship between two events or variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them.[1][2] The idea that "correlation implies causation" is an example of a questionable-cause logical fallacy, in which two events occurring together are taken to have established a cause-and-effect relationship.

Dixon's corpse is an upgrade on Ratugolea.

0.0 combined the last five weeks. Incredible.

You gotta be kitten me

Ratagolea didn't have a great game, but he at least halved contests and brought the ball to ground, creating a 50/50 or getting it out of bounds. It was decent. Basically what chunk used to be able to do.

Dixon can't even get to contests anymore.

The phrase "correlation does not imply causation" refers to the inability to legitimately deduce a cause-and-effect relationship between two events or variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them.[1][2] The idea that "correlation implies causation" is an example of a questionable-cause logical fallacy, in which two events occurring together are taken to have established a cause-and-effect relationship.

But… what if

Although it doesn’t,
facts are facts and as much as we hate to say it AFL games have a long history of deeming trends and stats being impactful.

Whether it’s McEntee’s impact or not, the main reason we shouldn’t play him is because he isn’t an afl standard player and has very little impact on wins. Objectively, if he’s on the field we haven’t been winning anywhere near as much (10-1 when he doesn’t step foot on the field) as when he isn’t (for whatever reason that may be as a whole). It’s a smaller reason but just adds to a further reason why he shouldn’t be played. If he was a decent player, you might look past the fact we can’t win as much when he is in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You gotta be kitten me

Ratagolea didn't have a great game, but he at least halved contests and brought the ball to ground, creating a 50/50 or getting it out of bounds. It was decent. Basically what chunk used to be able to do.

Dixon can't even get to contests anymore.
This is McEntee tier apologism. Also how was the big uncontested double fist back into a contest with less than a minute on the clock? If Hawthorn had snagged a late winner from the resulting contest, it would have been Sav's fault.

To be very clear my comment says more about Sav than it does about Dixon. I wish neither of them were on our list. But even Dixon's corpse still occasionally does things like kick a goal. Or at least a ****ing behind.

I would tolerate Ryan Burton coming back as a sub. Sinn played well enough to keep his spot but with both him and Jones having some injury history and evans still running on only 12 games of AFL i feel like Burton could work as a sub if one of those needs a chopout or less TOG.

And also because that way he could come on fresh and wouldn't be quite as likely to give up defensive chase as he normally does.

You'd have to be a total idiot to think it has any material impact which of the low impact small forwards we select to contribute 5 possessions and 0-1 goals in any given game.
Tonight yes. But I agree with the point made by Schulzenfest earlier in the week that at least Evans has a remote possibility of having a 3 goal game out of the box. Jed has not shown that he does from many more opportunities.

The bigger question is how did we get ourselves into a list position where we have so little to choose from in the small forward department.

Not tonight. He played his role pretty well. We wouldn’t have won without him. But yes, as a rule he is a useless forward.
The plan will be Charlie in for Marshall where the smaller SCG may suit Dixon.
Farrel is too big a risk with the back-line looking OK last night, alas Jones has been sighted for dangerous tackle

This is McEntee tier apologism. Also how was the big uncontested double fist back into a contest with less than a minute on the clock? If Hawthorn had snagged a late winner from the resulting contest, it would have been Sav's fault.

To be very clear my comment says more about Sav than it does about Dixon. I wish neither of them were on our list. But even Dixon's corpse still occasionally does things like kick a goal. Or at least a ****ing behind.

He came over the back of the pack for that double fister. If he was all on his own or playing from the front I'd agree with you.

I would tolerate Ryan Burton coming back as a sub. Sinn played well enough to keep his spot but with both him and Jones having some injury history and evans still running on only 12 games of AFL i feel like Burton could work as a sub if one of those needs a chopout or less TOG.

And also because that way he could come on fresh and wouldn't be quite as likely to give up defensive chase as he normally does.
Burton also gives us a fair bit of flexibility. Could go forward if Marshall goes down early, or back.

For me, the biggest question is if Marshall and Dixon are both “available”, who do you take the punt on? I can’t see us picking Lord or Visentini. Neither Marshall or Dixon instil any confidence, but for different reasons.

My ideal scenario for changes, assuming Farrell isn’t fit and Burton is:
1. Out Francis Evans
2. Narkle forward to Evans’ position
3. Lorenz to Narkle’s wing
4. Burton to sub
5. Marshall gets the nod over Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back