Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Butters no look punch of the ball from the ruck contest that went straight to a free Hawthorn player in the last minute was way worse than Rat's double fisted spoil that at least cleared the area.
I would argue that we should have had someone there to at least contest though - was always a good chance of a ball going there.

But I do agree

He was running flat out in straight lines at least last week, and fist-pumping after the runs. There was video on the news, looked to be moving freely.

Timmy G was hinting strongly he could be available.
Didn't he have surgery on the hammy? Crazy fast if true.

Having said that, running is one thing, kicking is another. I wouldn't risk him this week

I would tolerate Ryan Burton coming back as a sub. Sinn played well enough to keep his spot but with both him and Jones having some injury history and evans still running on only 12 games of AFL i feel like Burton could work as a sub if one of those needs a chopout or less TOG.

And also because that way he could come on fresh and wouldn't be quite as likely to give up defensive chase as he normally does.
Not a bad idea, especially as he can play fwd if needed as well

Esava is better in the ruck. Play Lord.

Dixon is no contest when the ball hits the deck and the Swans will just run off him like Geelong did.
Lord has had an awful year, his performances this year have been at a SANFL u18s standard.

And Dixon is a much, much better ruck than Esava. Like it isn't even close.

Sydney are vulnerable. We can definitely win this.

On the other hand, they can smash you playing 20 good minutes of football in a game, like vs GWS last week. So we can also lose big.

Bottom line, I think we are a chance. And then hope we don't have to play Geelong in the GF.
Sydney have a habit of starting slowly but adjusting really well.

Port have to take their chances, kick and apply score board pressure early.

A 4-6 goal lead is nothing for Sydney to overcome.

Would you consider Dylan Williams as a forward on the SCG? It's a smaller oval so you don't want to crowd the forward line with talls.

Can't be any slower than F Evans, could play a defensive role on one of their rebounding defenders and can kick goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bookies giving us no hope at $3.50.

I’d consider Dylan Williams on the smaller ground for sure. We’d have Jones who’s quicker on someone like Papley. Dylan Williams could take Jordon or Parker. His ball use and decision making would be invaluable.

Bookies giving us no hope at $3.50.

I’d consider Dylan Williams on the smaller ground for sure. We’d have Jones who’s quicker on someone like Papley. Dylan Williams could take Jordon or Parker. His ball use and decision making would be invaluable.
Blimey, $3.50? I can see we're the outsider but IMHO that's crazy. We've won our last 8 against them, 3 of those at the SCG.

20 of the 23 from last night played in the R21 win against Sydney. That game we had Dixon, Houston and Farrell instead of Marshall, Lorenz and Sinn.

Given Dixon back in for Marshall is a flat out certainty, 21 of the 23 from that game will likely play this game.

Lord has had an awful year, his performances this year have been at a SANFL u18s standard.

And Dixon is a much, much better ruck than Esava. Like it isn't even close.
Usually yes, but Dixon could not compete at all against the Cats, was a huge liability.

We simply cannot afford that again. If he plays, he needs to be able to compete and chase, otherwise every pass to him that hits the deck is a springboard for the opposition

Would you consider Dylan Williams as a forward on the SCG? It's a smaller oval so you don't want to crowd the forward line with talls.

Can't be any slower than F Evans, could play a defensive role on one of their rebounding defenders and can kick goals.
I don't mind it. Risky but again we can't do much worse than McEntee and Evans.

Don't think we are the rank outsiders the bookies have us as, but I reckon we played our GF last night, and so the Swannies to win this game by a comfortable 25-30 point margin in front of a parochial home crowd.

Hawks wer overawed by the occasion last night, and continually shanked passes, fumbled, fell over, stopped runs into attack to backtrack and go sideways thus turning the ball over. And they misssed 5 gilt edged chances to goal in the final 6 minutes or so. So they lost it, we didn't win it.

Swans are more finals hardened and will have the crowd support, so I don't see them being like deers in headlights as much next weekend.

Safe to say we aren't playing anyone who hasn't featured in our emergencies in recent weeks, unless recently injured i.e. Burton, Farrell, Dix. All this talk of debutants and Ollie Lords is poppycock. We have a couple players to bring back but anyone that isn't obvious you can be assured won't be considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back