Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think we are the rank outsiders the bookies have us as, but I reckon we played our GF last night, and so the Swannies to win this game by a comfortable 25-30 point margin in front of a parochial home crowd.

Hawks wer overawed by the occasion last night, and continually shanked passes, fumbled, fell over, stopped runs into attack to backtrack and go sideways thus turning the ball over. And they misssed 5 gilt edged chances to goal in the final 6 minutes or so. So they lost it, we didn't win it.

Swans are more finals hardened and will have the crowd support, so I don't see them being like deers in headlights as much next weekend.
The counterpoint to the "they lost it we didn't win it" comment is they got most of their score off dubious frees in the forward to even make it a contest but I agree with the rest.

We know this team is all about how they are fairing mentally so I hope the backs against the wall mindset isn't dropped now we got the finals win. If it is we'll get done in. But if we keep playing with hunger we might be able to keep it up

Don't think we are the rank outsiders the bookies have us as, but I reckon we played our GF last night, and so the Swannies to win this game by a comfortable 25-30 point margin in front of a parochial home crowd.

Hawks wer overawed by the occasion last night, and continually shanked passes, fumbled, fell over, stopped runs into attack to backtrack and go sideways thus turning the ball over. And they misssed 5 gilt edged chances to goal in the final 6 minutes or so. So they lost it, we didn't win it.

Swans are more finals hardened and will have the crowd support, so I don't see them being like deers in headlights as much next weekend.
Look, in my heart I suspect you’re right. The key is to recover quickly from here emotionally first and physically. Once the sore spots alleviate, last night’s hard contest should really be seen as a golden opportunity to harden us for whatever is to come.

Our players know the template. If they bring maniacal pressure, which they’ve done fairly consistently except for the Geelong final, they can give Sydney an almighty fright.

If Ken needs to embrace an underdog mindset to get the result, then go for it. We’re already rank outsiders with the bookies and every early discussion has written us off because we’ve played our GF and Sydney are Sydney. But the ‘04 team was largely written off in the GF because of the emotion of that prelim and look what happened.

Hinkley has to keep our players on edge. None of this “mission accomplished” mindset that dripped from Rozee’s interview. Feel spited, feel angry, feel motivated.

Pick fit players who can chase and lunge and tackle and smother and run.

Safe to say we aren't playing anyone who hasn't featured in our emergencies in recent weeks, unless recently injured i.e. Burton, Farrell, Dix. All this talk of debutants and Ollie Lords is poppycock. We have a couple players to bring back but anyone that isn't obvious you can be assured won't be considered.
I could see Ollie Lord in the scenario that Dixon doesn't get up as we have fairly consistently run with 3 tall forwards, whoever they are. I don't see us suddenly debuting Scully or shuffling Williams in our anything like that.

Have I missed something. Who said Marshall will not be available to play against Sydney?

Dixon - surely we are better without him. Ruck support though will be an issue against Sydney.

Sydney are vulnerable. We can definitely win this.

On the other hand, they can smash you playing 20 good minutes of football in a game, like vs GWS last week. So we can also lose big.

Bottom line, I think we are a chance. And then hope we don't have to play Geelong in the GF.
I know this is going to sound crazy but if we did win next week I’d prefer to play Geelong out of the 3 sides left.

I permanently lost 25% of my hearing in my left ear post a concussion which resulted in a cochlear concussion just over 3 years ago. I knocked myself out during a fainting episode. Took months to recover from the headaches and I am no professional athlete.
If Mrgbear hit you let me know... I'll sort him out 😡

Butters no look punch of the ball from the ruck contest that went straight to a free Hawthorn player in the last minute was way worse than Rat's double fisted spoil that at least cleared the area.
Thats a bit of a stretch looking at the replay Ford. His only other option was let Worpel (?) punch it into the forwardline

If we're going to single out players it should be BZT and Alliir. Look at the replay of Sicilys mark.

His career is done you'd think. Do the effects of multiple concussions get better with extended rest? Say, take a year off and try again. Or is he done now?
I’d say doesn’t get any better, look at Paddy McCartin as an example. He spend heaps of time out of the game before loving to Sydney and was very susceptible to concussion.

I’d keep Lorenz at the expense of Frankie who just doesn’t cut it at the highest level. I also rate Lorenz, the kid has got something, so play him.

If Dixon is fit, & that’s a big if, he probably gets the nod over Lord & Dante in place of Todd.

Farrell would be a massive in, but it’s a big risk in a high intensity final. Maybe starting Sub, but when you feel good to go with hammies, you normally add a week to be safe.

I don’t mind Williams, he’s the Joker in the pack who can play a role at both ends. Early weather forecast for Sydney is fine conditions, so maybe that hurts him a bit.

If anyone else goes out, you’d think it would be Narkle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He came over the back of the pack for that double fister. If he was all on his own or playing from the front I'd agree with you.
In pure risk assessment it was the right play. Go for the mark, spill it and there’s a crumbing opportunity to score.

Punch the crap out of it as far as possible to congestion is much safer. This guy has a split second to decide, he’s no Leo Barry

Ratugolea was huge last night, what on earth are you talking about. He played such an important role and dominated. He took some crucial marks, his follow up work was insane and created multiple goals. He was very very good.
Don't let a serial gaslighter here trigger you.

I’ll be happy to see neither Dixon or Burton in. Anyone but those two.
Poor for structure. Slow. Can’t tackle. Wouldn’t be able to keep up with the frenetic speed of the game last night which we need to bring again.
Trust a younger player like we did with Sinn.

If we made it I’d like Geelong and avenge 2007, ignore the GF debacle, it won’t happen again and Geelong have shown their hand.

Aaron Keating (was Aaron wasnt it) won a premiership medal in his first game, Scully this is your time.

We match up well on the Swans. They have a short backline and nothing we don't match up with in their forward line. If we get off to a good start we will be right in it. It just depends how banged up we are and who is available at this point I think, if JHF doesn't come up with the quad, that's going to make it pretty tough from the get go.

We match up well on the Swans. They have a short backline and nothing we don't match up with in their forward line. If we get off to a good start we will be right in it. It just depends how banged up we are and who is available at this point I think, if JHF doesn't come up with the quad, that's going to make it pretty tough from the get go.
Quad? Thought it was cramp…

Who to replace Marshall? I don't want Dixon in the team, he has become slow and lost much of his agility. Ollie Lord has regressed despite coming back from his injury and Tom Scully is still fairly raw.

Do we play JHF predominately as a forward? Since whenever his in the forward line, shit happens especially around stoppage close to goal since he is always on the move and the opposition constantly worry about him that he is able to draw frees.

Or do we play Burton as a 3rd tall? Personally think that Esava had room to crash packs and compete without Dixon competing as well which exposes our weakness of winning the ground ball.

Why can’t we bring in Ollie lord …he is fit isn’t he …he hasn’t got any shorter…if he can run he can play.

Also we need rozee and butters to play there high 20’s disposals games there we’re doing a few weeks ago in the finals.. why are they quiet in finals.
Not many players had high disposals. Newcombe had 31 I think but compare the impact. I'd take Hornets 18 disposals and impact over his 30+

Butters and even Rozee had more impact over all. Watched them double team Newcombe at stoppages in hawks forward half. They were prepared and did good.

But, yeah, impact was the key not so much whether Butters or Rozee got 30 plus disposals. Was a very pressurised game.

Who to replace Marshall? I don't want Dixon in the team, he has become slow and lost much of his agility. Ollie Lord has regressed despite coming back from his injury and Tom Scully is still fairly raw.

Do we play JHF predominately as a forward? Since whenever his in the forward line, shit happens especially around stoppage close to goal since he is always on the move and the opposition constantly worry about him that he is able to draw frees.

Or do we play Burton as a 3rd tall? Personally think that Esava had room to crash packs and compete without Dixon competing as well which exposes our weakness of winning the ground ball.

If Swans have to play Francis again, which they might if some players aren't available then play Dixon. Esava did "ok" as supporter ruck but I'd prefer Dixon getting into the game and rucking whilst Sweety rests. Dixon always seems to do good against Swans funny enough... providing he brings his dominance and his A... or close enough to A game.

I think we've actually looked the best all season with Mitch G owning the f50. I'd just have him go all game as the KPF and use Ratugolea across half forward as the lead up and then he can also push back to help the defence across half back. We need JHF in the middle to go head to head with their midfield and we bring in a small/medium utility we can use to match up better on changes through the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back