Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney have a habit of starting slowly but adjusting really well.

Port have to take their chances, kick and apply score board pressure early.

A 4-6 goal lead is nothing for Sydney to overcome.
We have won the last eight games against the Swans.

Charlie will replace Marshall where the very small SCG should help him.
If fit, Burton comes in as another tall forward who can swing down back where we must leave DBJ as a forward.

The counterpoint to the "they lost it we didn't win it" comment is they got most of their score off dubious frees in the forward to even make it a contest but I agree with the rest.

We know this team is all about how they are fairing mentally so I hope the backs against the wall mindset isn't dropped now we got the finals win. If it is we'll get done in. But if we keep playing with hunger we might be able to keep it up
And the flack against Ken should stir the boys up

We have won the last eight games against the Swans.

Charlie will replace Marshall where the very small SCG should help him.
If fit, Burton comes in as another tall forward who can swing down back where we must leave DBJ as a forward.
I agree Port have had a good run against Sydney lately.

It should be a good game. And I don’t think the SCG is as big a factor as it has been for Port in the past, but Sydney play it very well.

But finals are a different beast.

Sydney have a habit of starting slowly but adjusting really well.

Port have to take their chances, kick and apply score board pressure early.

A 4-6 goal lead is nothing for Sydney to overcome.
Yes, fair point, but the reason for them steadying and adjusting is usually a carbon copy of what we all saw last night when Hawthorn couldn't buy a goal. Charity free kicks that swing the momentum of the game, usually to staging, showboating flogs like Papley, Parker and Heaney, or umpires ' missing ' obvious scragging tactics from the likes of Rampe or blatant incorrect disposal or holding the ball calls from Rowbottom, Warner, Gulden etc. It's been a pattern for years, substitute the names Goodes, O' Loughlin, Barry, Carter, Kirk, Rhys Jones ad nauseam depending on the era.

Playing in Sydney you have to make allowances for the home town decision factor, and be sharp and precise in disposal and delivery of the ball so as that factor gets mitigated.

I would tolerate Ryan Burton coming back as a sub. Sinn played well enough to keep his spot but with both him and Jones having some injury history and evans still running on only 12 games of AFL i feel like Burton could work as a sub if one of those needs a chopout or less TOG.

And also because that way he could come on fresh and wouldn't be quite as likely to give up defensive chase as he normally does.
I thought Sinn was fantastic last night to replace him with Burton would be a typical stinkly move, this coach knows how to bastardize anything he touches. Finals needs players who can hit the pack hard and run hard. Burton is not the man!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does a brain repair itself in the same way other injuries do though? As in, is an extended period away from the game going to "fix" him?
If there is structural damage the chances of healing is both pretty low and slow. There is some plasticity in that the brain can rewire neural pathways to get round problems but that takes time and rehab. If he is just dealing with inflammation, rather than structural damage, his recovery could be both more successful and less prolonged if the inflammation can be treated. I'm not a doctor but I studied neuroscience at uni.

Sweet just played the best game of his career by a long way. I got a good idea… let’s bring in a second ruck to mess with it.
Visentini can take Ratugolea and Wines's ruck minutes.

Saw that the game will be on the Alberton Oval big screen. Hope the sound is decent.

Forecast is for showers, it even rains on our televised games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back