Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Kens terminology/messaging always make it feel like failure is a possibility.

'Reality is its a prelim final, a little bit of luck is what you need, they're always tough, tight games that go the wire.'

Idk if PFs are always luck based, why set it up like its the 50/50 luck based outcome of a Showdown?

They haven't beaten us for 8 years and we beat them by 100+ the last time we met. We should have a superior psychological advantage but Ken wants to frame it like its Mt Everest.
I am beginning to think Ken Hinkley is a poor coach

Wasn't too keen on his "ya need a little bit of luck in a prelim" comment.

I know he's right with this on some occasions, not sure that's the mentality I'd be taking into the game though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah. Need a bit of luck. Got to be at your absolute very best or you'll get killed etc etc. Has the man ever had a conversation with a sports psych? So dumb.

My mum has been battling endo cancer this year (thankfully she’ll have a full recovery) and we just had to put our family dog down last night of 13 years. Safe to say it’s been a pretty crappy year. So please Port, please just win Friday. Need some good news.

Happy for your mum, sad about the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just feel that the attitude is different from last week and our performance may follow :(

1. Rozzee's "job's done" attitude in his post Hawks match on field presser.
2. Hinkley being back to his usual calm smiley smug self in his presser today.
3. Hinkley now not coaching for his job in light of Koch guaranteeing him his job for next year.
4. Opposition not being disrespectful to Port and indicating it is going to be a really hard game (i.e. no additional motivation like there was last week - although making a GF should be enough motivation in its own right)
5. Hinkley saying he needs "a bit of luck" in today's presser in order to make the GF.
6. perhaps the boys are buying into the medias 8-0 run v Syd, plus the recent 112 point smashing a month ago.

I, as well as many of us I imagine, have spent money that I probably shouldn't have to get over to Syd Friday for the game, but I am worried.

Does anyone truly think we can win this? And if so, why?

There were a couple of interesting questions at the presser.

Rucii asked Hinkley about how he is going to get over the hump of the prelim considering his history of losing them and Ken responded with a little bit of luck.

Not the best response.

Hinkley was also asked if he was a better coach from those prelim loses and once again, Kenny's reply was not the best.

He said he would like to think that every coach gets better over time which doesn't directly answer the question and means he doesn't believe in his coaching ability.
so, same old shit then

Isn’t it defining of what we’ve become as a club that after a season in which we finished second, and are into a prelim, the number one concern most of us share is whether or not we’re going to try.
It's not about whether they'll try. It's about whether they'll be paralysed by fear. And given their coach repeatedly messages how scary it all is, how the outcome rides on luck, and how you've got no chance unless you play out of your skin, is it any ****ing wonder they shit the bed.

Isn’t it defining of what we’ve become as a club that after a season in which we finished second, and are into a prelim, the number one concern most of us share is whether or not we’re going to try.
I am also concerned that we will try really hard but fall just short due to a lack of conversion inside 50.

Both have been a hallmark of Ken (and almost were again against the Hawks).

Id feel much more assured if Ol' man Ken simply said at the presser, "We're going to bring more of what we did Friday night and some."

it really is that simple.

Imagine Syndye sitting there listening to his rpesser.

Oh Ken how do you win this prelim, "We just need a bit of luck."

Can someone get Mark Williams sister to go talk to this bloke. She's a guru sports psychologist, and I am sure we would have her at our disposal, yet aeroplane Hinkley dribbles this garbage.

Sydney would be licking their lips knowing that we are the ones scared.

He could have even doubled down and said something along the lines of, "Yea I know this will be a different Sydney side on Friday night, but remember a month ago we played them and they still had the likes of Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom, Blakey, Grundy, Warner - yea they'll be tough but we'll be tougher!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah in last weeks changes thread I think i had:

In: Do or die for Ken
Out: Expectation

This week is reversed I think.

In: Expectation
Out: Do or die for Ken

I do worry, as do others, that some of the indicators are back. Ken was absolutely pumping up the opposition at the presser. I think a lot of Rozee's post game interview is a hangover of just how revved up the boys were with an "us against the world" attitude during the week. We don't have that this week. The odds are what they are, but it's not quite as one sided in the media as it was for the Hawthorn game. We have obviously backed up big games during the season. In a way, the loss against Geelong might prove to be the pressure valve loss we needed? Who knows.

If we turn up with the same energy and pressure as we did against Hawthorn then we'll win. Sydney got over GWS in the QF on the back of a quarter of footy, they're far from unbeatable and the SCG isn't an impregnable fortress. They've also played one game of football in a month, the pre-finals bye has been a leveller and winning the QF no longer holds the same benefit it once did. We should be in this up to our eyeballs.

I totally get the worry about the pressure seemingly being off Ken and a let down performance being a possibility, we've seen it before, but right now I reckon the players and coaches know the opportunity ahead of them and will turn up switched on. Ken deep down probably knows that an indefensible loss so soon after the Geelong capitulation will spell his end so I think he'll still be on edge a bit (obviously that's wishful thinking on my part and I totally understand the doom and gloom on this board when Koch goes rogue in the media, but if it does end up being another shitful night then I think questions about Ken get asked loudly once again)

Whinging and Hinkleyisms aside, as many other posters have said, key will be our pressure. Outside of the QF debacle, the footy we've played in the last 8 weeks has been some of the best I've seen under Ken (I wrote the same thing before the QF and we turned to dust, touch wood not again)

I'd like Wines to really impose himself on this game, put the team on his back.

The defence to do exactly what they did last week.

We must keep that killer instinct and not get complacent, 112 points means absolutely zilch here, just forget it and prepare accordingly.

4th times a charm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Optimistic purely based on the fact of us being underdogs going in again with nothing to lose. All the pressure is on Sydney as they've been the 'best' team all year and we're on their home turf.

The media is trying to spin our win streak over them for some balanced perspective and interest into the game. I'm not saying we'll win but we're definitely not going to get flogged.

We will win, just put $250 on @ $3.23, easy money!!
Throwing Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back