Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I am also concerned that we will try really hard but fall just short due to a lack of conversion inside 50.

Both have been a hallmark of Ken (and almost were again against the Hawks).
The 'bit of luck' that Kenny refers to in our last match came down to Hawthorn kicking 2 posters while we won by 3 missed shots at goal. Just one of those posters goes through and we are out in straight sets for two years in a row.

We have 43% accuracy this year, dead last, while the average is 49.4%. It wonderful to have made it this far but I can't help but feel either in the prelim or a possible GF that this accuracy is going to come back and kill us. Especially with a forward line missing some players that needs to make the most of its opportunities.

I do wish the best of luck to the players but deep down I feel like this is just going to end up like the 2002-3 seasons.

Yeah in last weeks changes thread I think i had:

In: Do or die for Ken
Out: Expectation

This week is reversed I think.

In: Complacency
Out: Do or die for Ken

I do worry, as do others, that some of the indicators are back. Ken was absolutely pumping up the opposition at the presser. I think a lot of Rozee's post game interview is a hangover of just how revved up the boys were with an "us against the world" attitude during the week. We don't have that this week. The odds are what they are, but it's not quite as one sided in the media as it was for the Hawthorn game. We have obviously backed up big games during the season. In a way, the loss against Geelong might prove to be the pressure valve loss we needed? Who knows.
Fixed for you

Matchups?

Drew started on Massimo last week but got moved on ball in the 2nd half.

Does he go to Gulden or Heeney?

If Burton is back does Burgoyne go back to the wing?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Drew to Gulden, Bergman to Heeney.

I don't necessarily think Ken's reference to 'a bit of luck' is really out of line. You can pick any game of the season that has been won or lost by under a goal and luck has played a part. Mitch intercepting the ball with his head on Friday night, Sicily hitting the post, either one goes the other way and we probably lose. But, as the old saying goes, the harder you work, the luckier you get.

This is how we played for 6-8 weeks leading up to the flop against Geelong. Bring this sort of pressure again and who knows what could happen?

We still have weak moments, but the ruthless edge we've shown with our pressure and defence lately has been phenomenal. Beyond anything we've seen before.

Hawthorn got goals from either free kicks, umpire mistakes or just moments where we made a tiny mistake and/or did something lacking ruthlessness.

They got 2 of their 11 goals from Sweet just not grabbing the ball, instead tapping it. A cardinal sin in my book. They got a shot from Butters doing the same, they got a goal from an out of bounds and several others from frees and a couple of them tackles that were too hard.

I mean when it comes down to only a few moments when the oppo even got a chance that's really great stuff. The only disappointment is that after we played so well we only won by 3. Hopefully we can sustain what we saw and convert on the scoreboard when the opportunity arises this week.

I don't necessarily think Ken's reference to 'a bit of luck' is really out of line. You can pick any game of the season that has been won or lost by under a goal and luck has played a part. Mitch intercepting the ball with his head on Friday night, Sicily hitting the post, either one goes the other way and we probably lose. But, as the old saying goes, the harder you work, the luckier you get.
And giving two holding the balls instead of dangerous tackles, and boundary umpire calling the ball out, and we would have won by 21 points. Umpiring is not luck, it’s bias.

And giving two holding the balls instead of dangerous tackles, and boundary umpire calling the ball out, and we would have won by 21 points. Umpiring is not luck, it’s bias.
Having a game umpired fairly and consistently for both teams certainly wouldn't be lucky, it would be a bloody miracle.

I'm backing you blokes in to beat the Swans. I reckon you'll do it. Port's record over the Swans over the past 8 years is sensational. The 112 point demolition just 6 weeks ago was awesome.

These things matter, goddammit... Can you imagine what they'd be saying if the Swans had beaten Port the last 8 times and flogged you by 100 points a few weeks ago? I think it's unbelievable that everyone is ignoring the evidence which is staring at them right in the face.

The Swans peaked this season way back in May/June... The fact is they went off the boil in June/July.

Since then, their form has been okay, but not that great. Scratchy H&A wins over Collingwood, Essendon and Adelaide to close out the season. A lucky win over GWS in the Qualifying Final (thanks to individual heroics from Heeney and Papley). But I didn't think it was a great team performance.

The Swans are a good team, but they're not that good. I think they have everyone fooled. Thery are beatable. And you blokes have the team which matches up well against them and will give them grief.

Apart from the stumble vs Geelong, your form over the past 10 weeks has been terrific. Much better than Sydney.

Awesome last Friday.

What a waste it will be if you brought that kind of pressure to a home Semi Final vs the Hawks, but you weren't able to sustain it for the SCG Prelim Final. Bollocks to that. I reckon that defensive effort was just what the team needed. Ken will have it dialled in again this Friday and the Swans won't know what hit them.

Port will grab the early ascendancy and take a handy lead into the 2nd half. The Swans will throw everything you and inevitably close the gap, but it won't be enough this time around. Their luck will finally dry up.

I'm tipping a Port Adelaide vs Geelong Grand Final... a repeat of the 2007 GF, but a closely fought battle this time around.
Or maybe it will be a repeat of the 2004 Grand Final - Port vs Brisbane - I still haven't decided who will win on Saturday.

Enjoy the game, Port fans. Back your boys in. It's taken Kenny a long time to get his team into the big one, but he's got them right on there doorstep and ready to kick the door down. The wait will have been worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm backing you blokes in to beat the Swans. I reckon you'll do it. Port's record over the Swans over the past 8 years is sensational. The 112 point demolition just 6 weeks ago was awesome.

These things matter, goddammit... Can you imagine what they'd be saying if the Swans had beaten Port the last 8 times and flogged you by 100 points a few weeks ago? I think it's unbelievable that everyone is ignoring the evidence which is staring at them right in the face.

The Swans peaked this season way back in May/June... The fact is they went off the boil in June/July.

Since then, their form has been okay, but not that great. Scratchy H&A wins over Collingwood, Essendon and Adelaide to close out the season. A lucky win over GWS in the Qualifying Final (thanks to individual heroics from Heeney and Papley). But I didn't think it was a great team performance.

The Swans are a good team, but they're not that good. I think they have everyone fooled. Thery are beatable. And you blokes have the team which matches up well against them and will give them grief.

Apart from the stumble vs Geelong, your form over the past 10 weeks has been terrific. Much better than Sydney.

Awesome last Friday.

What a waste it will be if you brought that kind of pressure to a home Semi Final vs the Hawks, but you weren't able to sustain it for the SCG Prelim Final. Bollocks to that. I reckon that defensive effort was just what the team needed. Ken will have it dialled in again this Friday and the Swans won't know what hit them.

Port will grab the early ascendancy and take a handy lead into the 2nd half. The Swans will throw everything you and inevitably close the gap, but it won't be enough this time around. Their luck will finally dry up.

I'm tipping a Port Adelaide vs Geelong Grand Final... a repeat of the 2007 GF, but a closely fought battle this time around.
Or maybe it will be a repeat of the 2004 Grand Final - Port vs Brisbane - I still haven't decided who will win on Saturday.

Enjoy the game, Port fans. Back your boys in. It's taken Kenny a long time to get his team into the big one, but he's got them right on there doorstep and ready to kick the door down. The wait will have been worth it.
God I hope you’re right, you have me believing again

If we bring the sort of pressure we brought to the Hawthorn game, we'll have the opportunity to win.

Then all that matters is that we're efficient going inside 50.

Matchups?

Drew started on Massimo last week but got moved on ball in the 2nd half.

Does he go to Gulden or Heeney?

If Burton is back does Burgoyne go back to the wing?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Drew to Gulden. If Heeney plays forward, then Bergman. Not sure he moves into the middle.

Suspect a forward (probably Evans) will play a defensive role on Blakey.

Swans will try to make Dixon (if selected) run. I would part him at full forward and demand they man up.

I’m not sure what they are going to do with Burton, if selected.

Backs against the wall and being the underdogs this is our perfect opportunity the pressure will be on Sydney being at home in front of their fans, finishing top expected to just waltz through to the GF and that little bit of doubt from the belting we gave them not long ago sitting in the back of their minds
just bury them port this is the perfect chance !!

They say you need a little luck.
You do especially when umpires gift the opposition 5 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back