Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swans are a very good team but a touch out of form and definitely have holes to exploit in their game.

If we bring that pressure from the majority of our previous games but not the Geelong game, we will be right in it.
Just have to repeat what Port dished up against the Hawks and not allow the Swans to play their game which involves taking a lot of uncontested marks. The team has to ensure that they are defensively switched on and not allow the Swans to have space to play their brand and as always kick goals whenever possible since our forward line is kinda average at best.

Easier said than done though but with the whole world against Port and the opportunity to book a spot in the grand final is something the team will have engrained into their minds hopefully.

Just have to repeat what Port dished up against the Hawks and not allow the Swans to play their game which involves taking a lot of uncontested marks. The team has to ensure that they are defensively switched on and not allow the Swans to have space to play their brand and as always kick goals whenever possible since our forward line is kinda average at best.

Easier said than done though but with the whole world against Port and the opportunity to book a spot in the grand final is something the team will have engrained into their minds hopefully.
If we are defensively switched on from the first bounce, we will give ourselves a very good chance at victory.

We've actually only won three genuine away finals in our history - North '05, Collingwood '13, Freo '14 (Brisbane '04 was really a neutral game). That's two elimination finals and a semi final. This would be a massive and unprecedented achievement for us to go on the road and win a prelim.

I have no idea what people are basing their argument on Lord coming back for a PF. I know Dixon isn't the ideal option, but anyone who thinksn Lord is a better option at this stage of the year when he hasn't played a game in over 3 weeks + has looked terrible at AFL level this year when he has played, largely because of his injury early in the season, is simply doing so out of hate for Dixon and Hinkley (which I also share but perhaps less so). There's no way Lord gets into this team ahead of Dixon or even Visentini tbf

Good, hard, tough Port Adelaide and we will go super close.

Yes it is an away final which definitely factors in but we've won away recently with good wins over in Freo, Melbourne at the MCG and the Blues at Marvel.

There were a couple of interesting questions at the presser.

Rucii asked Hinkley about how he is going to get over the hump of the prelim considering his history of losing them and Ken responded with a little bit of luck.

Not the best response.

Hinkley was also asked if he was a better coach from those prelim loses and once again, Kenny's reply was not the best.

He said he would like to think that every coach gets better over time which doesn't directly answer the question and means he doesn't believe in his coaching ability.
Well he's not calling the moves, the coaches box is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Ken Hinkley on breaking the club's games record for coaching this week.

Also congratulations to Travis Boak on breaking the club's games record for playing this week.

Yes it is an away final which definitely factors in but we've won away recently with good wins over in Freo, Melbourne at the MCG and the Blues at Marvel.
Ironically there's less of a monkey on our back playing away from AO in finals. Our last 2 prelims were at home and both come up short. A few numbers to consider. Sydney are 7-1 in prelims in recent history. Port are 8-0 vs Sydney in recent history. Port are 0-3 in prelims since '14.
Something's gotta give, whether it's swans are due a loss in a prelim, or port are due a loss against the swans... Maybe ports due a win in a prelim after coming up short too many times. Respectively, there are 2 players in our side still from the 2014 prelim, 8 players from the 2020 prelim, and 10 from the 2021 prelim. One thing in our favour is there's always upsets, and going in as underdogs bodes well for us compared to recent prelims.

We've actually only won three genuine away finals in our history - North '05, Collingwood '13, Freo '14 (Brisbane '04 was really a neutral game). That's two elimination finals and a semi final. This would be a massive and unprecedented achievement for us to go on the road and win a prelim.
You gotta do it at some point.

I just feel that the attitude is different from last week and our performance may follow :(

1. Rozzee's "job's done" attitude in his post Hawks match on field presser.
2. Hinkley being back to his usual calm smiley smug self in his presser today.
3. Hinkley now not coaching for his job in light of Koch guaranteeing him his job for next year.
4. Opposition not being disrespectful to Port and indicating it is going to be a really hard game (i.e. no additional motivation like there was last week - although making a GF should be enough motivation in its own right)
5. Hinkley saying he needs "a bit of luck" in today's presser in order to make the GF.
6. perhaps the boys are buying into the medias 8-0 run v Syd, plus the recent 112 point smashing a month ago.

I, as well as many of us I imagine, have spent money that I probably shouldn't have to get over to Syd Friday for the game, but I am worried.

Does anyone truly think we can win this? And if so, why?
If you can beat a team by close to 20 goals you can do it again 6 weeks later.
Don’t buy into this that game means nothing BS.
Any side that gets beaten by Richmond in 2024 are no all stars.
You should always be confident against a side you have a good record against.
We have some Jellyfish supporters kicking around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back