Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rozee to half back is a terrible option. You can't play the worst tackler in the team in defence.

Rozee forward and DBJ back is a decent option.
Rozee would be a pretty good fit.

He really doesn't have a settled position at the moment.

And quite frankly we are fairly desperate.

I don't mind Sinn but in a heated final I don't know.

Reckon we'll go Burton and Evans as hbf's, Jones and Bergman as back pockets, and back them all in.

If things go to absolute poo, then Burgoyne or Rozee to drop back into defence.

It's always the same people waiting to pounce when he has one off game.

Yeah dude, suggesting he continues to play the position he's been playing for years rather than moving to a position he's literally never played at AFL level is a real 'pounce'.

Don't change too much.

Keep Ratugolea in. I don't think Marshall will be a better forward in a final than Ratugolea. Finals (especially us) have a lot more hack kicks forward which suits him more than Marshall.

Bring in Sinn for Farrell, don't upset the forward or midfield to plug a hole elsewhere.

I reckon for team balance and in case something goes wrong during the game Narkle must come in.
His form was very good last week and I’m confident he’ll go well against his old side.

FB Aliir BZT Esava
HB Jones Bergman L.Evans
C Burgoyne Wines Boak
HF JHF Marshall Rozee
FF Georgiades Dixon Rioli
FOL Sweet Butters Drew

INT DBJ Mead Narkle Burton

SUB F.Evans

Personally I'd do this...

FB Bergman BZT Jones
HB L.Evans Aliir Burton
C Burgoyne Wines Boak
HF JHF Esava Rozee
FF Georgiades Dixon Rioli
FOL Sweet Butters Drew

INT DBJ Mead Narkle Sinn

SUB F.Evans

telstra.jpeg

Cary Elwes Laughing GIF

In today’s day and age, where rebound from the back 50 is so important to how teams structure up, we aren’t playing a 6 foot nothing forward who can’t chase. It’s hard enough covering a few big blokes who struggle to engage defensively

Rebound from 50 is about ball use and lack of turnovers/clangers.

There is a reason guys like Farrell, Houston, Burton and even Bonner were half backs. Lachie Jones too.

Beautiful long kicks.

Finals is about pressure and capitalising on the opposition's mistakes as much as it is about being clean with the ball and not letting the pressure get to you or your disposal.

Sinn struggled big time in picking up the pace in one of the games this year, against hawks I think, he had a few scrubber kicks, but started to find his feet towards the end of the game.

If DBJ is going down back then we're gonna have less score launches from half back, but at least he can (sometimes) stick tackles. His 2020 finals series was one to forget though.

To be fair his finals series as a forward last year wasn't too flash either. And Collingwood stormed to a premiership last year despite key injuries and a lack of late season form, so we shouldn't be making excuses. We should have enough momentum to make temporary fixes work

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final team for Geelong should be:

IN: Dixon, Narkle

OUT: Dante, Farrell

FB - Bergman - BZT - Burton

HB - DBJ - Allir - Logan Evans

C - Burgoyne - Butters - Boak

HF - JHF - Esava - Francis Evans

FF - Rioli - Dixon - Georgiades

FOLL - Sweet - Wines - Drew

INT - Rozee - Mead - Jones - McEntee - Narkle

One of Narkle or McEntee to sub

Esava is treading on thin ice and could be replaced by Marshall later on in the finals, OR you could attempt 4 talls and give McEntee the flick (Coaches wouldn't do that)

Hate DBJ in defence. People have short memories of the utter brain fart version of DBJ we used to get back there.

And he's more than handy up forward. Provides great pressure, can hit the scoreboard himself and can dish the aggot to others

I'd still play Rozee back in Houston's role. Those claiming he hasn't played there for ages therefore it's a risk are accurate, however, it's ****en half back. Literally the easiest position on the ground to play and if anything might see him relax a bit and seem him run and rebound with a bit more freedom

Houston is a shit tackler too and went OK.

As for Marshall v Rat. I actually don't see them as competing for the same spot. Finally we have another bigger bodied forward that take some of the competition away from Dixon. Rat make Dixon better, he makes JHF better. He makes DBJ better. Rioli better. Most teams initiate their attacks off half back, mostly with intercept marking, Rat makes that much more difficult, especially compared to Marshall.

Rat also has much more flexibility - he can go back if desperate.

Rat is also more reliable injury wise.

If we played Marshall higher up in a different role then maybe we could play all four. But we wouldn't and don't.

So it's actually Marshall v Georgie for mine and Georgie wins that by the length of the Flemington.

Hate DBJ in defence. People have short memories of the utter brain fart version of DBJ we used to get back there.

And he's more than handy up forward. Provides great pressure, can hit the scoreboard himself and can dish the aggot to others

I'd still play Rozee back in Houston's role. Those claiming he hasn't played there for ages therefore it's a risk are accurate, however, it's ****en half back. Literally the easiest position on the ground to play and if anything might see him relax a bit and seem him run and rebound with a bit more freedom

Houston is a shit tackler too and went OK.

As for Marshall v Rat. I actually don't see them as competing for the same spot. Finally we have another bigger bodied forward that take some of the competition away from Dixon. Rat make Dixon better, he makes JHF better. He makes DBJ better. Rioli better. Most teams initiate their attacks off half back, mostly with intercept marking, Rat makes that much more difficult, especially compared to Marshall.

Rat also has much more flexibility - he can go back if desperate.

Rat is also more reliable injury wise.

If we played Marshall higher up in a different role then maybe we could play all four. But we wouldn't and don't.

So it's actually Marshall v Georgie for mine and Georgie wins that by the length of the Flemington.

True, but DBJ also had an AA season down back.

If the choice is between him and Sinn, I pick DBJ every day of the week!

I'm all for Rozee as QB.

Final team for Geelong should be:

IN: Dixon, Narkle

OUT: Dante, Farrell

FB - Bergman - BZT - Burton

HB - DBJ - Allir - Logan Evans

C - Burgoyne - Butters - Boak

HF - JHF - Esava - Francis Evans

FF - Rioli - Dixon - Georgiades

FOLL - Sweet - Wines - Drew

INT - Rozee - Mead - Jones - McEntee - Narkle

One of Narkle or McEntee to sub

Esava is treading on thin ice and could be replaced by Marshall later on in the finals, OR you could attempt 4 talls and give McEntee the flick (Coaches wouldn't do that)
I don’t think we can play three average Half forwards together, Evans, McIntee and Narkle.

Our biggest deficiency is the back 6-7, take an extra defender to cover the Houston and Farrell loss. DBJ, Burton and Jones all questionable so strength in numbers with Sinn or Williams in.

The biggest factor for Port is the half backs being able to do penetrative accurate kicks into the corridor when targets lead. Houston for example and Farrell. Burton still can and Logan seems to be good enough too and smart. DBJ might do alright in defensive efforts but I don't believe he has that kick to do so plus run off. Sinn I'd expect to but not sure. Without our absolute best kickers off the back line it might be troublesome getting the best connection into corridor. However, Kenny will need to be on point and the players because all teams especially Chris scott know that Port love the corridor. Another reason IMO why Dylan Willams probably not the best option. If he was replacing Jones then sure, but not Faz or Houston.

As it stands, the backline is BZT, Aliir, Evans, Burton and Jones. BZT isn't the best kick realistically. Only really Burton that can kick pin point or close to it.

Fingers crossed I suppose.

True, but DBJ also had an AA season down back.

If the choice is between him and Sinn, I pick DBJ every day of the week!

I'm all for Rozee as QB.

Then proceeded with 2 seasons of delist material football , Dustin Martin ruined his half back mentality

It will just take 1 'ear massage' from a Cats defender on Marshalls head to put him out of the game you feel. Is a big risk.
Agreed. I'm a (wavering) Marshall fan, but I don't see how he can come into the side without any football under his belt. If it was 'in-season', I'd make him get through a month of SANFL football before considering him for selection. No SANFL footy puts us in a tough spot...

Agreed. I'm a Marshall fan, but I don't see how he can come into the side without any football under his belt. If it was 'in-season', I'd make him get through a month of SANFL football before considering him for selection. No SANFL footy puts us in a tough spot...
Alberton Oval Friday night 9 a side comp?

Whites:
Charleson T.Marshall Barrett
Soldo Moore R.Burgoyne
Moss K.Marshall Williams

Teals:
TommyA Lord SPP
Scully Jackson McCallum
Clurey Walsh McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad