Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the hate for D.Williams. Beautiful kick, has shown he can do it.
More reliable then Sinn I'd have thought.
Leg speed, Sinn could break lines and also play through the Wing if need be.
However I think the coaches will value Williams disposal by foot as our two primary ball movers from the back 6 are shot. DBJ ain’t super efficient by foot when rebounding leaving only Burton as a neat disposer coming out.
My preference would be Sinn in as the Sub, all for moving Rozee to Half Back, you want pace in the back 6 and Butters, JHF, Wines, Drew, Mead, Boak should have enough to beat Geelong in the midfield. Finals footy you want your best 18 on the park for as long as possible, Rozee to half back allows Wines and Drew more midfield minutes and less burden to find enough time for our ‘big 3’

Williams can potentially play forward if DBJ needs to go back, so may be the more versatile player, less risky option and has generally had good composure and decision making in his game.

Not sure Sinn has any other position if he is not composed within the game, more risky, but offers speed.

But as they say more risk, more reward. If there is a match up that could favour Williams I would go for him.

Williams can potentially play forward if DBJ needs to go back, so may be the more versatile player, less risky option and has generally had good composure and decision making in his game.

Not sure Sinn has any other position if he is not composed within the game, more risky, but offers speed.

But as they say more risk, more reward. If there is a match up that could favour Williams I would go for him.
Williams has never looked like an effective forward at AFL level, and hasn't played forward in the SANFL for over 2 years.

He's in bad form. He's had a worse year than Sinn and when Sinn has played AFL this year he hasn't looked out of place.

And Williams is slow. It would be insane to replace the quickest player in our team with the slowest. At least Sinn is quick.

In today’s day and age, where rebound from the back 50 is so important to how teams structure up, we aren’t playing a 6 foot nothing forward who can’t chase. It’s hard enough covering a few big blokes who struggle to engage defensively

My grandmother runs faster than Williams and she’s dead. But yes he’s a great kick and a good bloke.
Williams is horribly slow and out of form, but when in form hes a lovely ball user but will he be exposed the other way.

Not sure if i can trust sinn in a big final, maybe if he had a decent run of afl form, but a big risk especially with geelongs band of smalls

big call to be made

DBJ is Port's highest cumulative goal scorer + goal assister. He is also 7th in the entire league for goal assists.

He imo is way too valuable to be playing as a defender given his current form. Would much rather a straight swap of Farrell for Sinn as opposed to truly moving the magnets around and potentially disrupting multiple lines on the field.

Okay hear me out.

DBJ to half back.

McEntee (I can't believe in saying this) stays to make up for 'forward pressure'.

Marshall in for Esava to make up for the goals and playmaking.

Marshall has gotten injured and been unable to play a full 4 quarters for 3 out of his last 4 games.

We all saw how Burton's injury in the 2020 prelim completely screwed up the rotations - I would hate to see a similar situation happen again.

Irrespective of whether or not you see Marshall as best 23 when fit, imo, the risk of playing him in a heated final with such a recent history of multiple injuries is too big a gamble relative to the difference between his and Ratugolea's production.

At least by keeping Ratugolea in the side, if something happened to Aliir or BZT you can go smaller in the forward line and move Rat down back to keep the same defensive structures.

Okay hear me out.

DBJ to half back.

McEntee (I can't believe in saying this) stays to make up for 'forward pressure'.

Marshall in for Esava to make up for the goals and playmaking.

See my post above re Marshall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall has gotten injured and been unable to play a full 4 quarters for 3 out of his last 4 games.

We all saw how Burton's injury in the 2020 prelim completely screwed up the rotations - I would hate to see a similar situation happen again.

Irrespective of whether or not you see Marshall as best 23 when fit, imo, the risk of playing him in a heated final with such a recent history of multiple injuries is too big a gamble relative to the difference between his and Ratugolea's production.

At least by keeping Ratugolea in the side, if something happened to Aliir or BZT you can go smaller in the forward line and move Rat down back to keep the same defensive structures.
Disingenuous post. Ryan Burton was a reoccurring soft tissue injury that was liable to occur at any time. Of Marshalls injuries that you've referenced only 1 has been similar in nature, the other 2 have been contact injuries that you can't reasonably foresee occurring.

Rozee to half back is a terrible option. You can't play the worst tackler in the team in defence.

Rozee forward and DBJ back is a decent option.
Think you can cover one of the back 6-7 and with his leg speed you don’t ‘need’ to tackle if you’re in possession.

I think there are multiple options and this plays into our hand, we become unpredictable, Kenny’s biggest detriment in 11 years. Bomb long to Dixon in a pocket and lock the ball in the forward 50 is unimaginative and sucks the confidence from the players when it fails to work.

Sure this is the Half Back line but this will be fresh and inspire the lads seeing something different run, carry and deliver forward. I suspect the high 5’s to be at an all time high.

I don't get the hate for D.Williams. Beautiful kick, has shown he can do it.
More reliable then Sinn I'd have thought.
Williams in 2023 yes.
Williams in 2024 hopeless. Seems to have dropped off in fitness (which was never great) and become even slower. He has been exposed every time he has played.

It's ridiculous to suggest Rozee is our worst tackler. He is 5th for average tackles at Port this year (with a few injury affected games in there) and was 2nd in 2023. Also been 2nd in pressure acts both years.

Just because he had a dud flu game this weekend where he missed a few tackles and there's a narrative that he's not "hard enough" as a leader doesn't mean he isn't fit to play defence.

There are three selection dilemmas ahead of this game.

1. Replacing Farrell.
I don’t think we compromise on structure. No moving of Ratugolea back. We back the five defensive constants to all keep going in the same vain, and as Logan Evans put it, lift another 2-3% each. We back Burton to play the same way he did against Freo. Make it crystal clear to him. We need him now more than ever and what he showed against the Dockers is the minimum acceptable standard of effort and teammateship. No seagulling will be acceptable.

We replace Farrell directly with Sinn and bring him into the 22. It’s a definite risk and downgrade, but size, pace, defensive training/preparation are in his favour as cover for Farrell. He needs to back himself, look after the footy when he has it, and use his legs. He isn’t Farrell, just as Burton isn’t Houston. But it’s the best fit. He’s physically mature and at least is not being rushed back from injury. It may be the making of him. Personally. I don’t expect to be disappointed in what he produces. Whether I’m in awe of it, is another matter.

2. The high small forward role.

DBJ and Evans should play. It comes down to Narkle or McEntee. I am in no doubt that McEntee will get the chance to renew his role on Stewart. I don’t love it, but someone needs to go to him - and basically be sacrificed to do so. We don’t have another option without resigning ourselves to Stewart doing as he pleases. It makes the offensive work of all the other 21 players more critical. Alas, I suspect Evans will be sub again.

3. Ratugolea vs Marshall

I think most objective observers can see the strengths and weaknesses of both options. I’d love to bring in 2022 Todd Marshall, fresh, fit and in-form. We don’t have that player. Instead we have someone in his place who has left the field very early due to injury more than once this year after innocuous knocks. The same player who does have a weakness in retaining the contested ball, playing in front of his opponent and as of 2023-24, finishing his goal scoring opportunities with the confidence he once had.

In Ratugolea, we have a player who has no polish or finishing ability. You accept that any goal he scores will be an unexpected bonus - much like McEntee. But unmistakably, he plants himself in front of his opponents and keeps his ground under the high ball, rarely if ever getting beaten. He takes 2-4 important marks per game and gives Dixon some respite from the other big defenders. We’ve looked better as a team since he’s played the role for whatever reason. Not sure yet if it’s in spite of him or due to him, but I think we can and will get it done if he’s there to partner Dixon and MG. I wish we had the luxury of picking Marshall too but I don’t think we should. FWIW, if things become problematic in defence, you’re left with the options of moving Ratugolea, DBJ, Burgoyne or Rozee back if needed in-match. It’s enough cover for most scenarios.

My change:
Sinn for Farrell.

Evans for sub.

Narkle and Marshall among the emergencies.
Spot on -

Sinn has been serviceable when played this year. Clearly a downgrade but the best we got.

As you say the last one is touch and go. I am undecided on that.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps suggesting DBJ or Rat to go back. There is a reason they were shifted from defense. They were hopeless. Also DBJ has been our most consistent forward. Why change something that works to do something that did not work?

I think options like that or Rozee to HBF can be kept in case of things going wrong.

We miraculously re-discovered the good Ryan Burton last weekend. Could we miraculously re-discover the good Dylan Williams too?

I think that's my preferred option. Prefer a guy with proven ability who is having a bad year in Williams to a guy who has never shown anything in Sinn, or messing with the structure by moving someone like DBJ or Esava back.

OUT: Farrell (inj), Visentini, Ratugolea
IN: Williams, Dixon, Marshall
I think it could be the making of Sinn.

He has the tools, if he can stay fit for the whole campaign it might just click.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wish we had given Lorenz a few games by now. His ball use and reading of the play would have been useful.
So much this, we really missed a trick by not giving him exposure.

Even if not for this game we are only an injury or 2 away from being forced to select him.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's ridiculous to suggest Rozee is our worst tackler. He is 5th for average tackles at Port this year (with a few injury affected games in there) and was 2nd in 2023. Also been 2nd in pressure acts both years.

Just because he had a dud flu game this weekend where he missed a few tackles and there's a narrative that he's not "hard enough" as a leader doesn't mean he isn't fit to play defence.

He's a midfielder, of course he gets high tackle numbers, including tackling static players at stoppage. He's terrible at tackling a moving player.

A ridiculous suggestion is thinking that a guy who hasn't played in the back line for 6 years and never at AFL level is going to slot in there for a final.

He's a midfielder, of course he gets high tackle numbers, including tackling static players at stoppage. He's terrible at tackling a moving player.

A ridiculous suggestion is thinking that a guy who hasn't played in the back line for 6 years and never at AFL level is going to slot in there for a final.
It's a desperate suggestion, because two playmakers have gone down for the season in the space of two weeks. But Houston's role is not really that of a typical accountable defender and has some crossover with how Rozee plays already. See Josh Daicos at Collingwood plugging in at half back for the last few weeks of the season and flourishing.

It's always the same people waiting to pounce when he has one off game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back