Preview Changes: R5 v Sydney

What is our all time best selection melt?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we start asking question of Pyke?...

I swear he looked like dear in the headlights everytime the camera panned onto him tonight..

Is he so set on his structure that if it doesn’t work... he doesn’t know what to do?

He's like Neil Craig. All the work is done during the week, game day is about enjoying the fruits if your labour. Possibly even worse with Pyke, no changes after preseason, every player and role is locked in. Can't maje a change at all.

But, I did think Fog looked good behind the ball. As did Milera before him and then Gov. Will they pereist? No.

The worst part is, after a terrible loss in the AFL our SANFL side usually stinks it up too so no one pushes for selection

What's the point? Check our history, senior players never get dropped for youth. It doesn't happen. We don't disrespect our faithful servants like that. At our club, you need to hope there's an injury and then hold your spot from within the team. The only time in 4 years we've seen a senior out and junior in was when Gooch came in for Dmac. But we fixed that.

At this early stage.....

OUT

Jenkins - Great against Richmond, serviceable last week, putrid this.

CEY- Hate to say it, but looks like it was right.

Sloane- If you're injured don't play, if your mind is on other things, don't play.

Betts - 4 kids under 7, looked like a guy who hasn't slept in a week.

Sauce - Needs a spell.

IN

Gallucci - Need to see what he's got.

Wilson - Need a good kick and a strong body. He's what we have left.

Signorello - Someone who will chase and tackle all day, even if he's too light.

ROB - Desrves it.

Knight- Don't rate him much but he's a hard worker and this team lacks that.

This gives us a smaller, quicker, harder working lineup. Play some newbies before the guns start to return.

Nup, Sauce thrives on his enormous work load. Can't miss because it will ruin his continuity. And we can't have that.

Look I'm as bloody disappointed as anyone about last night, but obviously having made the GF our side must have some talent and talent you don't loose.

There are other aspects for the losses and we didn't handle the pressure. Again pretty sure last year we would have done the same in the majority of wins we had.

But to carry on like pork chops is one of immaturity. Bout time we as supporters grew up.
Larry night reminded me of the game vs north last year. Both uncompetitive. Last year we went away and made changes that benefited us for the rest of the year. Took a few weeks to get it sorted. Hopefully the same happens here

Betts (inj)for Murphy
Sloane (inj) for Wilson
Mackay (inj)for Knight
One of the talls (Fog?) for Hampton

Brown Talia Doedee
Kelly Harto Laird
Seed Gibbs Atkins
Lynch Walker Knight
Murphy McGovern Jenkins
Sauce Douglas Greenwood
Hampton Wilson CEY Milera

Betts (inj)for Murphy
Sloane (inj) for Wilson
Mackay (inj)for Knight
One of the talls (Fog?) for Hampton

Brown Talia Doedee
Kelly Harto Laird
Seed Gibbs Atkins
Lynch Walker Knight
Murphy McGovern Jenkins
Sauce Douglas Greenwood
Hampton Wilson CEY Milera
Then the week after
Sloane, Mrouch back for CEY and one of Wilson or Milera

Let's be serious ...

- some players just are not going to get dropped while we have injuries
- players are playing injured / unfit
- we will be scared of taking a young team to Sydney

If you look at how Sydney handled a heap of injuries last year at the start of the season after losing the GF - you will see a very different way of going about it. They played youth and suffered the losses ... then came out of it stronger and built towards a final series where they went in as favourites for the premiership.

AFC don't roll like that. No way we would try out Gallucci / Signorello as a small forward ... Dear / Himmelberg as a big forward ... Wilson / Poholke in the middle. We would rather play injured players that performed last year and guys that play 1 good game in 6.

Yes we performed well in (most of) 2017 but that shouldn't give the club enough browny points to just carbon copy every decision from last year to this year in the hope of the same outcome.

We need to evolve. I am worried about the the thin edge of the wedge ... the move away from the elite standards I thought we had imprinted on our club over the last few years. Are we that insecure about where we stand in our development? That's what it feels like to me. We seem lacking in confidence, like last year was a fluke.

I don't expect anything mind-blowing over the next few weeks, more steady as she goes stuff that we have seen in the past ... but I will not be stunned if we avoid the "man conversations" until we are too deep in the mud.

I’m not sure why I bothered to even read this thread. Some serious throwing the toys out of the cot from some posters. Yes, let’s drop multiple players that were the very reason why we made the GF last year just because we had a bad loss (and it was a terrible loss).

We’re 2-2. The season is not over. Yes, there are absolutely no excuses for being belted at home by a Collingwood team with many injuries, but dropping half the team for SANFL players that are hardly demanding selection will not magically make the team play better.

It is sport. Sometimes players have off nights. It just seems that half our team decided to do so at the same time (unfortunately for the second time in 5 games :( ).

He's like Neil Craig. All the work is done during the week, game day is about enjoying the fruits if your labour. Possibly even worse with Pyke, no changes after preseason, every player and role is locked in. Can't maje a change at all.

But, I did think Fog looked good behind the ball. As did Milera before him and then Gov. Will they pereist? No.
I agree with Gov looking good behind the ball but we need him in the F50 as an aerial threat as well as his chasing and pressuring. I wouldn’t be unhappy seeing Fog play at HB for a while along with Milera.

I’m not sure why I bothered to even read this thread. Some serious throwing the toys out of the cot from some posters. Yes, let’s drop multiple players that were the very reason why we made the GF last year just because we had a bad loss (and it was a terrible loss).

We’re 2-2. The season is not over. Yes, there are absolutely no excuses for being belted at home by a Collingwood team with many injuries, but dropping half the team for SANFL players that are hardly demanding selection will not magically make the team play better.

It is sport. Sometimes players have off nights. It just seems that half our team decided to do so at the same time (unfortunately for the second time in 5 games :( ).
I don't think it's the loss that bothers me ... it's the players we are playing that look like they shouldn't be out there, and the reasons we are playing them.

Sloane is injured.
Tex is injured / lacking fitness.
Greenwood is injured / lacking fitness.
Jenkins / Atkins / Hartigan look to be struggling to find consistent form.

The reason we play these guys over less experienced players is what I'm curious about. Are we scared of a bad loss? ... well we got that on Friday night anyway! Are we that short in terms of talent coming through that we have to play these injured players?

If we have a plan, and a good reason for what we are doing then that's one thing ... but if we are just crossing our fingers and hoping everything goes our way, well thats a recipe for bigger problems.

Gov behind the footy looked like he was going to end up wiht about 20 intercept marks if we’d left him there. Did we persist though? No, straight back to the same structures that got us in the shit in the first place. A lot of our scoring is based off of turnovers, Gov looked like he was going to create this, yet stubbornness and blind faith in our structures won out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gov behind the footy looked like he was going to end up wiht about 20 intercept marks if we’d left him there. Did we persist though? No, straight back to the same structures that got us in the shit in the first place. A lot of our scoring is based off of turnovers, Gov looked like he was going to create this, yet stubbornness and blind faith in our structures won out.
Probably because he was the only forward who looked like taking a mark too. Best target at both end on Friday.

Fogarty looked solid down there, wouldn't mind him further up the park

Probably because he was the only forward who looked like taking a mark too. Best target at both end on Friday.

Fogarty looked solid down there, wouldn't mind him further up the park

I’m still dumbfounded that a few here are bagging out our forwards due to Friday night..

I’m not going to watch a replay to confirm it but I can’t remember one time in the whole game the ball was delivered into our forward line with a decent straight kick to advantage..

It was either kicked in along the ground or hurriedly booted in a mile into the air or kicked to the Collingwood defences advantage..

The delivery was absolute rubbish.

I’m still dumbfounded that a few here are bagging out our forwards due to Friday night..

I’m not going to watch a replay to confirm it but I can’t remember one time in the whole game the ball was delivered into our forward line with a decent straight kick to advantage..

It was either kicked in along the ground or hurriedly booted in a mile into the air or kicked to the Collingwood defences advantage..

Whilst so true, they couldn't keep the ball in the area for a couple of minutes to give us a chance to try to chance one.

The midfield is too slow with both cey and greenwood. I'd rather greenwood.

I'd Would maybe like to see Cheney for Hartigan at some point until Hartigan can find some form

Out whoever has niggling injuries i.e sloane walker betts

Knight and Wilson have to probably come in

The midfield and forward line terrible selections.

Milera into the forward line perhaps

If jacobs drops off like he is maybe we have to go jenkins ruck and dear in that's saying something!!

This is looking ominous. I’ve been to every Sydney game since 2000. Thankfully I can’t make it this time around.

Our last 2 games at the SCG were terrible. Both times we were at full strength and in good form.

I really don’t think it matters who jumps on the bus. Whatever we throw at Sydney won’t be enough to avoid anything but a massive loss.

Having said that I expect we will come out breathing fire in the first quarter. But this is Sydney. They are 10 times better than Collingwood. Buddy will have a night out against our badly out of form defence...and it won’t stop there.

When the pressure is on our composure goes right out the window. And it is so bloody obvious to everyone including the opposition that applying pressure to our mids produces the rubbish entries that nullifies the forward line. Our biggest asset.

The midfield is too slow with both cey and greenwood. I'd rather greenwood.

I'd Would maybe like to see Cheney for Hartigan at some point until Hartigan can find some form

Out whoever has niggling injuries i.e sloane walker betts

Knight and Wilson have to probably come in

The midfield and forward line terrible selections.

Milera into the forward line perhaps

If jacobs drops off like he is maybe we have to go jenkins ruck and dear in that's saying something!!
Cheney is injured, Keath is also injured.

When the pressure is on our composure goes right out the window. And it is so bloody obvious to everyone including the opposition that applying pressure to our mids produces the rubbish entries that nullifies the forward line. Our biggest asset.
Applying pressure to any teams' mids or ball deliverers does the same to any team, not just ours.

Applying pressure to any teams' mids or ball deliverers does the same to any team, not just ours.
Not to mention the fact that 3 of our best 4 mids are either not playing or playing injured. Matt and Sloane in particular are very composed even under pressure.

It's a flow on effect, those guys are fit then less attention goes to the Douglas' and Greenwoods of the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R5 v Sydney

Back