Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok wow, I just saw the dates of our next 4 games in the schedule.

These changes threads may end up finally having some correct calls in the coming weeks. 4 games in 15 days is gonna see a lot of turnover.

Queue up the “it’s happening” gif
Or cue the re-return of Gibbs, Knight and Atkins
Surely for next week's midweek game we look to change half of the side to keep the players fresh.

We should be thinking about picking our 22 for the next 3 weeks with a view to player management.
It has to happen

The change thread may well be a dart board

Turn the freezers on because the melts will be epic.

But we have to rotate players through and that does mean Gibbs etc will get games - its whether they continue to get games (if they provide nothing) that will be meaningful

I'm pretty sure he can kick 50m, I've seen him do it before. On this occasion I think he was so worried about accuracy (he sprayed all his other shots so far) that he sacrificed penetration for accuracy and didn't make the distance
It was a heavy atmosphere on Monday night and it took about 10 metres from players typical distance. A classic example was Tex’s shot from just outside the 50 metre line kicking to the northern end. It would usually go through goal post height but he was concerned that he would not make the distance. He ran to his right to get more momentum but eventually the kick was wide and short of the goal line.

I have seen McHenry kick 50 metres plus in the SANFL.

Wouldn’t mind a look at Strachan - I thought he showed a bit in the games I saw last year.

Huge lad and pretty coordinated - takes a nice mark and kicks well.

Given Fog is still injured and if they're not playing Frampton then I'm all for it.

It was a joke the Carlisle was playing on McAsey last week, he should be playing as a third tall, not attracting the best defender. Strachan in frees him up.

Given Fog is still injured and if they're not playing Frampton then I'm all for it.

It was a joke the Carlisle was playing on McAsey last week, he should be playing as a third tall, not attracting the best defender. Strachan in frees him up.
Agree.

No need to drop ROB either as Strachan originally played as a KPF, went to ruck later last year due to injury.

So effectively he plays as that KPF/2nd ruck chop out role.

Wouldn’t mind a look at Strachan - I thought he showed a bit in the games I saw last year.

We are in desperate need for a forward who can take a nice mark, so its worth a shot.

He's not a small forward or inside mid. Get him out on a wing and let him find space rather than being drawn to a contest.
It is often hard to work out who is playing in which position when watching a game on the box.

On Monday night Ned spent the first two and a half quarters in the graveyard known as the Crows forwardline.He then spent the second half of the third quarter and all the last quarter on the wing. IMHO he looked much better when he was moved onto the wing.

Chayce spent virtually his entire TOG as an inside mid. He needs to get more of the ball but we must continue playing him in the guts.

Agree.

No need to drop ROB either as Strachan originally played as a KPF, went to ruck later last year due to injury.

He played most of his VFL as a mix between the two.

Does Matt Crouch get a do-over after Monday? Was a shocker but we know he's better than that. Doesn't look fit to me. Never been quick but is struggling to cover the ground at anything more than a waddle.

Waddle with a massive head wobble. Never seen an AFL player look less comfortable while running.

Agree.

He was recruited as a ruck, he was mostly playing in the forward line since we had ROB and Hunter ahead of him in '18 and his fitness was way below par since he'd spent his previous 2 years at Essendon/Port Melbourne in the VFL barely managing to play a handful of games because he was constantly injured.

Got his go a bit more in the ruck last year though with Jacobs out, but was still behind him and Hunter for most of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

Or Strachan does the centre ball ups and ROB does the stoppage ball ups and boundary ball ins changing up forward which would see ROB do the bulk of the Ruck just not the centre ball ups. Strachan actually elevates a lot better than ROB but ROB better body on body.

He was recruited as a ruck, he was mostly playing in the forward line since we had ROB and Hunter ahead of him in '18 and his fitness was way below par since he'd spent his previous 2 years at Essendon/Port Melbourne in the VFL barely managing to play a handful of games because he was constantly injured.

Got his go a bit more in the ruck last year though with Jacobs out, but was still behind him and Hunter for most of the year.
Yeah I’ll take the word of the ESS poster who mentioned he played a mix of both KPF and ruck.

Otherwise I’m not sure I said much different to that

I just don't know where McAsey best fits long term. He doesn't really have a good turn of pace, which means he gets left behind a lot on the lead as a backman, but I'm not sure he's going to be a key forward either. Seems to have good running patterns and attacks the ball in the air, so I guess I can see why they're using him as a forward for now. I just think it's terrible for his development to play him out of the goal square, where he's not going to get the ball kicked to his advantage, and he's going to have a gun backman sitting on his back all night. Annoyed the shit out of me how they used him on Monday.
Ideally, I'd be looking at McAsey, Doedee and Worrall to replace Hartigan, Talia and Kelly long term. And Fog and Thillthorpe to be the key forwards.

Not exactly right there, Whilst he was on Essendon/Port Melbourne's supplementary VFL lists he was still playing for South Bendigo in the Bendigo Football League when not required for VFL duties. Played 12 games in 2017 and 7 games in 2018 until he copped his injury that saw him miss the back half of the season. Strachan had actually won 2 South Bendigo B & F's playing as a Ruck/Forward. Peter J

Capture.PNG

Yeah I’ll take the word of the ESS poster who mentioned he played a mix of both KPF and ruck.

Otherwise I’m not sure I said much different to that

The 202cm ruckman impressed with 15 disposals, eight marks and five tackles, a performance that landed him a spot among the best players.

“He’s still pretty raw, as far as the development side of things goes, but he’s been diving into the program,” Coach Paul Corrigan said.

“He’s been working on his education and knowledge on how to play.

“He’s been playing some really good football locally but just hasn’t had the opportunity through personnel that we’ve had at AFL level coming back.”

With 15-20 AFL players named in the VFL team each week, there are limited spots for the VFL listed players.

After impressing on multiple occasions at local level, Strachan was given the opportunity to play in the red and black.

“Last weekend he got his opportunity – he played his role really well,” Corrigan said.

“He played as a ruckman and also as a forward.

“He gave us a really good target, took some really crucial contested marks and also brought the ball to ground which made it predictable for our ground level players as well.

The 202cm ruckman impressed with 15 disposals, eight marks and five tackles, a performance that landed him a spot among the best players.

“He’s still pretty raw, as far as the development side of things goes, but he’s been diving into the program,” Coach Paul Corrigan said.

“He’s been working on his education and knowledge on how to play.

“He’s been playing some really good football locally but just hasn’t had the opportunity through personnel that we’ve had at AFL level coming back.”

With 15-20 AFL players named in the VFL team each week, there are limited spots for the VFL listed players.

After impressing on multiple occasions at local level, Strachan was given the opportunity to play in the red and black.

“Last weekend he got his opportunity – he played his role really well,” Corrigan said.

“He played as a ruckman and also as a forward.

“He gave us a really good target, took some really crucial contested marks and also brought the ball to ground which made it predictable for our ground level players as well.
Thank you.

Definitely worth rolling the dice and giving him the key forward 2nd ruck role. Neither EH or Billy have nailed it down.

With the 4 games in 16 days we should look to rotate ROB & Strachan every 2nd game.

Same with some other players too.

Why no Wilson (he isn't injured).

Centre beast who was number 1 for tackles in the SANFL last year and our most dominant SANFL mid.

We have Poholke, Wilson and Gibbs that would provide more effectiveness around the middle at this point than MCrouch. I'm not including Schoenberg as he is too under-developed to carry that weight, he would be fine if we had 2 heavy lifters in the centre.

Is the club obsessed with possessions as Greenwood suggested? 5 metres gained per possession is worse than pathetic, any of the 3 would be better.

I don't get why Matt is playing

Exactly he would provide much more body in the centre and offer some protection for Jones - he's on the list give him a run would offer more than M Crouch currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back