Changes - Rnd 1 - vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both should play but If you have to pick between Duman and Watson then you have to go with Duman. Has more of an attacking edge in his game and has experience on him. Stiff to Watson though, but I think he's proven he'll have his fair share of exposure this season given what he's shown if he doesn't debut R1.

I'd more put it that his game vs WC was the first for some time where I didn't think he was a liability. I can be won over - Ibbo went from favourite scape-goat to top 10 player for me back in the day!
Same, he’s starting to put together a much better defensive game where breathing on him doesn’t result in being pushed off the ball. That was my major gripe but the gym would seem to be paying off

Agree - although I think Blakely’s ‘turnover merchant’ tendencies aren’t making him a natural fit for JL’s game plan.
Blakely would be fine if he stayed in the middle and went forward. He gets into trouble when he's down back, was happy to see the selection panel drop him for the burners he was distributing..

Duman is definitely playing Round 1 imo - he had a fantastic game in Marsh 2. I have absolutely no problem if they give Watson a debut in Round 1. It'd be a great experience for him and he'd learn more about what he needs to work on, and then he could go back to Peel and do that as we get guys back in the early rounds like Pearce and Wilson, and when Young gets his debut. I think I'd prefer that over shifting a midfielder into the backline. All signs point to Conca being a permanent defender and I liked his composure back there.

Logue, Cox, Ryan, Conca, Hughes, Duman, Watson as the 7 defenders. We need Aish on the wing, and I don't want to see Cerra or Blakely in the back line. I can't think of any other available options?

Blakely would be fine if he stayed in the middle and went forward. He gets into trouble when he's down back, was happy to see the selection panel drop him for the burners he was distributing..

When he has the ball in his hand and bursts away from stoppages, he looks a million bucks. For mine he has two main weaknesses - firstly he fumbles a lot and is often not first touch clean. Secondly his disposal can be very shoddy - we mainly think of this with reference to his kicking, but in Marsh 1 his handballs were really atrocious. He often stopped flow with handballs at the feet, and worse, turned it over.

When he has the ball in his hand and bursts away from stoppages, he looks a million bucks. For mine he has two main weaknesses - firstly he fumbles a lot and is often not first touch clean. Secondly his disposal can be very shoddy - we mainly think of this with reference to his kicking, but in Marsh 1 his handballs were really atrocious. He often stopped flow with handballs at the feet, and worse, turned it over.
This was the part that really surprised me in that game. In the past he has been quite clean with the ball by hand, not sure if it was just a bad day for him. I think its been quite well known that his disposal by foot has never been fantastic, even though it has definitely come a long way since being drafted, but disposal by hand has never been an issue for him. Hoping he just had a bit of an off day and he can add some depth to our midfield rotation this year when given the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowden tackles hard and it seems like he has kicking for AFL more down pat now, and his kicking ability is actually pretty good when he isn't panicked, well above Blakely. When you are talking about bench (less TOG than the majority of the group) players, what you want is someone who is going to put pressure on, but also when they do get the ball that they are going to make good use of it, so I reckon there is a strong argument for Crowden over Blakely.

I hope Colyer gets picked for Round 1, guy was solid in the pre-season and deserves a chance to cement himself in the team.
Depends what you mean by cement. To me his level in our squad is best 25, and in a short period of time the likes of Henry and Switkowski could be directly competing for the spot Colyer is most likely in. Other players who potentially may cause a best 22 shuffle that effects him also include Crowden, Serong and Sturt. Matera also has to be considered as likely to put up a fight.

Why would Crowden be selected in front of Blakely.
Crowden is average playing for Peel, has never torn a game apart.
Blakely goes back to Peel on Saturday and is best on.

If its down to Marsh series performance its a choice between Blakelys high possession, sloppy handballs and poor loopy kicking with Crowdens less disposals and bullet passes. Id take Crowden.

Last edited:
If its down to Marsh series performance its a choice between Blakelys high possession, sloppy handballs and poor loopy kicking with Crowdens less disposals and bullet passes. Id take Crowden.
It's not even that.

Blakeky played 70% TOG in game 1 for 21 disposals. Crowden played 32% for 11 disposals. Mitch's disposals per minute is higher than Blakely in game one.

Reckon Schmooky is pretty close with his predicted B22... Not sure both Crowden and Serong are in the 22 though.

FREMANTLE

B: Taylin Duman, Griffin Logue, Ethan Hughes
HB: Luke Ryan, Brennan Cox, Reece Conca
C: James Aish, Nat Fyfe, Cam McCarthy
HF: Michael Walters, Rory Lobb, Lachie Schultz
F: Bailey Banfield, Sam Sturt, Matt Taberner
Foll: Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Darcy Tucker
I/C: Adam Cerra, Mitch Crowden, Brett Bewley, Caleb Serong
EMERG: Connor Blakely, Tobe Watson, Travis Colyer, Brandon Matera

NEW: James Aish, Sam Sturt, Caleb Serong
UNAVAILABLE: Blake Acres (hamstring), Joel Hamling (ankle), Stephen Hill (quad), Jesse Hogan (mental health), David Mundy (leg), Alex Pearce (ankle), Sam Switkowski (back), Nathan Wilson (toe)

NOTES: McCarthy edges Bewley in a starting wing role purely on the strength of his final pre-season game, but there is room for both with Aish seen as a multi-role player who will likely rotate back. The new-look defence picks itself with the injury concerns, but it was hard to leave the impressive Watson out. Blakely was not included for the second Marsh Community Series match in an ominous sign, although it wouldn't surprise to see him in the round one 22. Banfield is picked as a defensive forward, while Sturt looks at home coming out of the goalsquare and deserves a debut. Serong also looks ready and has shown flashes of excellence in the pre-season. – Nathan Schmook

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes - Rnd 1 - vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back