Preview Changes round 18 v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The Griffin/Clarke vs Cox/Naitanui combo will be interesting. They'll win the battle, but if Griffin and Clarke can nullify their influence, we'll be doing better than last game. Sandilands is a monster, but even he can't beat two quality rucks, and that really hurt us.

We should try to implement some of the strategy other teams seem to be perfecting against us; let them win the knock and grab the clearance chance.

The OTC guys were full of praise for the tactics Harvey was using with Clarke

Using him as a third man up has helped us quite a bit - even though Clarke hasn't done too much else (first AFL goal FTW)

Ironic that we are going with a third man up, when teams originally used as a tactic against us to nullify 211

Re: Changes round 17 v West Coast

Yeah, fair call strobe00. Still he has been on the quite side for the last few matches.

If we lose McPharlaps that will be bad!

Agree. Think Duffield has done absolutely bugger all over the last few weeks. Was hoping that Mello would have gotten his spot against Sydney last week.

Thinking Suban in and on the bench. Mello into the forward line from the start. Duffield back to half back or back pocket.

If MJ doesn't come up, swap him for Kep. Hopefully Griff will come up OK.

Fyfe to go head to head with Shuey/Gaff. :)

Read something interesting on the Weagles board. Apparently Gaff doesn't work hard enough on defense and a couple of their posters see him as a weak link in the press.

If that's the case and Gaff is played on the wing or midfield, then seeing him matched against Fyfe would make me very happy. Don't think Worsfold would allow this to happen though.

Thoughts on Creepy coming in for the Derby. Usually plays derbies well, adds some angst and fierceness to the contents.

Mellington or JVB over Crowley at this stage I think - Mellington because he deserves a re-call and JVB because of his derby track record (up forward)

Mellington probably coming in for Hayden (who spend a fair bit of time up forward)
Bradley for Johnson (possibly rest him up) - though Johnno is usually quite good in derbies when thrown up forward

Barlow probably will be the sub again - but hopefully they bring him on a bit earlier and NOT to replace Lower, who was subbed off in the last derby

No slow fumblers with bad disposal. That rules out JVB and Crowley.

Hayden's the only one out at this stage. Either Suban or Mellington, depending on fitness of Suban.

If the side of last week can match it with the physicality of Sydney, there's no reason why they can't do it against West Coast.

Now that McPhee is back, there simply isn't a spot for Crowley IMO. Honestly, where would he play and who would he replace?

Barlow probably will be the sub again - but hopefully they bring him on a bit earlier and NOT to replace Lower, who was subbed off in the last derby

I doubt it, we haven't used the same player as the substitute all season IIRC. Both Harvey and Weber have mentioned at varying times that it has too negative an effect on player fitness. Plus, given the players are able to do less and less work at training as the season unfolds, I'd suggest they wouldn't risk it with Barlow.

No slow fumblers with bad disposal. That rules out JVB and Crowley.

Seconded. Would be taking a step backwards to bring those guys back in.

Hayden's the only one out at this stage. Either Suban or Mellington, depending on fitness of Suban.

If the side of last week can match it with the physicality of Sydney, there's no reason why they can't do it against West Coast.

My preference would be Mello. Duffield can go back into the back line. Suban can take another week to improve his conditioning. Not sure what to do with Barlow.

If they're confident that Micky will be OK, run him up forward with some time in the midfield. Mello as the sub. Then swap him in for Barlow. If not, vice versa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta Feeling that Barlow will start in midfield this game & Broughton back to defence in Roger's absence....enabling Subes to be chosen as a sub.

IN: Suban, Bradley
OUT: Hayden, Roberton

Thought Roberton was ok last week bar a few kicking clangers...he backed well into packs etc as 3rd man up on several occasions....but horses for courses & I think Kep is a required man as Full Forward this week?

Out of the side that played the last derby (bold good players):

Anthony
Bradley
Crichton
Crowley
Mundy
Pearce
Pitt
Sandilands
Van Berlo

Likely ins (bold good players):

Ballantyne
Barlow
Clarke
Griffin
Mzungu
Palmer
Roberton
Silvagni
Suban (?)

I think there's a slight improvement for our side. Sandilands and Mundy are big outs. Barlow and Ballas are big ins. Silvagni helps us structurally against their forwardline (no Lynch on Johnson).

We're not missing Sandilands as much as we'd think - sure, he'd be great against the West Coast ruck division, but his absence also makes our mids work harder. Still a big out, but not an excuse for not performing.

Out of our hypothetical best 22:

Hayden
Morabito
Mundy
Sandilands

A lot of quality there but nothing we should not be able to cover.

I hope to christ we don't bring Crowley back, but I have this nagging feeling Harvey will like him in the derby even though time has passed him on.

They'll probably have Kerr, Embley, McKenzie and Waters as ins, at the expense of Butler, Masten, McGinnity and Sheppard from the round 8 game. So they improve as well, aside from Waters.

Good post, covers most of it I reckon. The only thing I'd add is that Barlow is a real unknown quantity. Can he effectively do a whole game, and by effective I mean not just get the ball, he's a master of that, but will he be fit enough to use it well enough for the whole game? Not sure ....

The other thing is I hope to goodness we don't even dream of rushing 211 back. He may desperately want to play, but he will just disrupt things if he rushes back and we've already got too many underdone players as it is .. Barlow, Suban(?), McPhee plus genuinely sore players like Fyfe (keeps on keeping on though), MJ, Griffin, Mayne ... just not worth the risk.

The big difference for me this time is SNOS. We were one good tall defender short last time (MJ doesn't count of course), he allows MJ to play fwd along side Pav and Mayne which makes our fwd structure a bit better too.

If Suban is good to go, then he's in for sure, but can we 'nurse' him and Barlow at the same time, that will be the big question for mine.

Out of the side that played the last derby (bold good players):

Anthony
Bradley
Crichton
Crowley
Mundy
Pearce
Pitt
Sandilands
Van Berlo

Likely ins (bold good players):

Ballantyne
Barlow
Clarke
Griffin
Mzungu
Palmer
Roberton
Silvagni
Suban (?)
Oh wow, I'd managed to forget how we really were scraping the barrel earlier in the year. Really looks like a case of quantity over quality. Sandi and Mundy more important than all of our ins with the possible exception of Ballas - not counting Barlow right now as it's too much to expect him to be 100% so soon - but each of the players from the earlier derby have been upgraded.

Round 8 team vs Eagles
B: Duffield, Grover, Broughton
HB: Ibbotson, McPharlin, McPhee
C: De Boer, Pavlich, Fyfe
HF: Hill, Johnson, van Berlo
F: Bradley, Mayne, Anthony
Foll: Sandilands, Mundy, Crowley
I/C: Crichton, Lower, Pearce
Sub: Pitt

My Round 18 team vs Eagles
B: Grover, McPharlin, Duffield
HB: Suban, Silvagni, Ibbotson
C: Fyfe, Mzungu, Broughton
HF: Ballantyne, Pavlich, Mayne
F: De Boer, Johnson, McPhee
Foll: Griffin, Barlow, Lower
I/C: Hill, Bradley, Palmer
Sub: Roberton

8 possible changes from round 8 team:
Out: Sandilands, Mundy, Crowley, Crichton, Pearce, Pitt, van berlo, Anthony
In: Giffin, Barlow, Ballantyne, Silvagni, Suban, Palmer, Mzungu, Roberton

Importantly only 2 changes from last week’s side with Hayden and Clarke out!

We structure up totally different with our back 6 settled and Barlow, Balla an Snos back – biggest is lost is obviously Sandi, but Griffin has stepped up and I reckon if Bradley comes in he, Silvagni and Johnson can all give Grif a chop out.

Over all our team looks so much better structurally and feel that between the home crowd, last weeks win and the fact the team will not be travelling again the following week should all combine for a great derby win to lock in our top 6 aspirations!!

Out - Hayden and MJ.

In - Suban and Kepler/Mellington.

Would personally prefer Mellington, having Mayne, Balla and Mellington running around in the forward 50 would be a weapon.

I think we'll go with two genuine rucks against Cox and Naitanui. Clarke will stay in the side.

I originally had Johnson to go out not clarke - but they have a man crush on MJ and he only got a corky which i'm sure he'll come up from. I just reckon Bradley offers heaps more as far as scoring potential and whilst i love Clarke and he will be the future - we need some Kepla unpredictability and he is so much more versatile.

MJ, Bradley and Snos can help Grif with the ruck

My lineup for Sunday:

B: Grover, McPharlin, Duffield
HB: Roberton, Silvagni, Ibbotson
C: Fyfe, DeBoer, Barlow
HF: Ballantyne, Pavlich, Hill
F: Mzungu, Johnson, Mayne
Foll: Griffin, Broughton, Lower
I/C: McPhee, Clarke, Palmer
Sub: Suban

Key Matchups I'd like to see:

1. Palmer/Lower on Priddis - Reckon Priddis will lead them to the ball all day.
2. DeBoer on Embley

Who will the Selwoods go to?

S.Selwood to Hill most likely so I'd like to see Hill go to the forward line and expose him on the lead.
A.Selwood on Pavlich or Broughton?

Hayden obviously out. Duffield into his spot. Frees up a spot in the forward line for Barlow to start. Barlow in the forward line with some time in midfield. Mello onto the bench, and coming into the forward line with 10 mins left in the third.

Kep in if MJ doesn't come up. Apart from that, might be a struggle to find a spot for Kep. MJ has actually been playing pretty good in the forward line in recent weeks, and Clarke is the back-up ruckman.

Reckon we need Clarke in against the Weagles as Kep tries, but really isn't all that good as a ruck. Love the bloke, but hard to crow bar him in there. Would've said boot out Duff if anyone other than Rog had been injured. Other person to boot would be Roberton, but his extra height and run is handy... and he's played pretty well the last couple of weeks.

As I said, hard to find someone to kick out to get Kep in. Reckon Harvs will give Mello a go in the Derby though.

MJ, Bradley and Snos can help Grif with the ruck

They will all get absolutely trounced by either NN or Cox, just like Bradley did in the first derby this year. Griffin needs legitimate ruck support, Clarke provides that.

If Harvey feels like using MJ, Bradley or Silvagni to jump into NN and/or Cox for 2-3 minutes a quarter to soften them up a la Lynch v Sandilands in the first derby that would be acceptable. Other than that, they need to stay the heck away from ruck contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes round 18 v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back