Preview Changes round 18 v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'd kill myself if I saw this matchup :thumbsdown:

Ouch. But fair enough. Watching the replay of the Sydney game today I can see why.

Points made Riteo and Clay.

But short of bringing Broughton to the back line to match up on Lecras (the obvious solution), who do you match up on Lecras? And who plays on Kennedy if you match Elvis on Lecras?

Clay you've got it unfortunately. I love Duffman, but his value to the team and his best games are when he's the main driver from the back-line and regularly able to create fwd thrusts. He still seems to have that great tank of his and when he does get the ball he does OK, but he's just not getting it enough. Other teams have worked him out a bit I fear, but there must be more to it than that.

But Faulks? Huge risk. He might be able to win a contest, but I don't fancy him after that especially in a big game like this. He's on the list of encouragement I reckon, he wont play.

Yeah, don't understand why Kep has fallen out of favour. He played quite well in the WAFL with 26 poss, numerous marks and a few goals.

Seems the coaches have a lot more patience with the underperformance of some people (looking at you MJ and Duffman) than guys like Kep.

Maybe it had to do with Keps forward pressure (or lack thereof)?? If he's not contributing on the scoreboard like Mayne, maybe they want him contributing to forward pressure.

The other guy that is hard done by is Pearce. Would much rather Pearce than turnover merchant/bomb it long with out looking Crowley.

que ? Chopper has kicked 7 goals in the last 6 games. He gets all the love ?

MJ. has kicked 9 as well filling in the ruck, playing down back and generally being mr fixit.

Go to Stats and compare them. It pretty much shows who is more important to our team.

yup people love criticising Johnno

yes, he's not as solid in defence as SNOS, but down forward Johnno is always going to cause problems for defenders - especially when Pav, Mayne, McPhee & co. are down there at the same time

Mayne is a great player and his 2 goals were crucial on the weekend - as well as the one he set up for Johnno (great goal)

Johnno is a utility of the highest order and can play pretty much anywhere - but his best position is roaming between the forward line and the half back flank (and in the coaches box pointing players where to go lololol)

The MJ criticism stems from how poorly he was playing for the first 11 weeks (12 maybe?). By comparison, Bradley lost his place in the side when he had a slight injury concern and MJ was the guy who strolled in and took his spot.

I'm not saying MJ isn't deserving of his spot at the moment, but he won the 2nd key forward spot by default (IN: Silvagni OUT: Bradley) and hasn't done much more (if anything) than Bradley was doing since taking it. It's pretty harsh on Bradley IMO.

:eek:
I meant Embley but was watching a replay of the game against Carlton late last year as I posted and wrote Judd by accident. :eek:

Oh okay, I thought maybe you might've meant Kerr. Those 3 are the key for WC, if we can get on top of Judd, Cousins and Kerr we should win ;).

Speaking of Kerr, is he simply scared? He hasn't played a derby since 2009...Injury, schminjury.

Clay you've got it unfortunately. I love Duffman, but his value to the team and his best games are when he's the main driver from the back-line and regularly able to create fwd thrusts. He still seems to have that great tank of his and when he does get the ball he does OK, but he's just not getting it enough. Other teams have worked him out a bit I fear, but there must be more to it than that.

But Faulks? Huge risk. He might be able to win a contest, but I don't fancy him after that especially in a big game like this. He's on the list of encouragement I reckon, he wont play.

Been close to the biggest disappointment this season, wasn't this guy the league leader in Rebound 50's last season?

que ? Chopper has kicked 7 goals in the last 6 games. He gets all the love ?

MJ. has kicked 9 as well filling in the ruck, playing down back and generally being mr fixit.

Go to Stats and compare them. It pretty much shows who is more important to our team.
I think he meant that when Bradley isn't kicking goals he doesn't contribute a lot of forward pressure like Mayne does when he's not hitting the scoreboard - he just worded it badly.

If you're going to start talking about MJ and Keps in the same breath you need to include Clarke. MJ has done Keps job but probably better as a fwd (he's more mobile and versatile), and Clarke has replaced him up the ground and in the ruck.

Keps game up the ground and especially in the ruck was starting to take a hit in those last few games before he was dropped, anytime he went into the ruck he was getting smashed at the bounce and not doing to great 'round the ground too. Not sure if it was injury related, but that's part of it too. As long as Griffin and Clarke are doing their thing, I think Keps will be kept out by MJ. When Sandi get's back, Griff will probably hold his spot which will also make it hard for Keps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who'd have thought at the beginning of the year we'd be playing the toast with so much hinging on the outcome for both Clubs.
One thing I have is confidence in our coaches and their selections. I still don't know how MJ kept his spot. I don't remember which game possibly against Richmond but I expected him gone.
Keplar got cult status and looked to be a walk up start. Now he's not even in the possible squad.
Clarke has got the benefit of faith in development and this week would see him getting a chance to see how far he has progressed.

At least we all know the word depth has some real meaning.

I'd dearly like to see chopper really stamp himself on a big game. The last thing we need is his potential get eroded away.
Ibbo is a player who seems to be going about his business without fuss. Which is great to see considering I had him as a bit of a front runner at times.
Two more sleeps :D

Final benches.

WC - Darling, Gaff, Smith, McGinnity. Em; Brown, Hams, Sheppard.

Freo - Crowley, Suban, Lower, Duffield. Em; Palmer, Faulks, Pitt.

So Hayden and Palmer, out for Crowley and Suban. Why on earth would we bring back Crowley for Palmer :eek:

Final benches.

So Hayden and Palmer, out for Crowley and Suban. Why on earth would we bring back Crowley for Palmer :eek:

Whoa. I guess it could still change yet!

I fully expected Faulks to miss however. It was reward for the good work.

Final benches.

Crowley back again. :( Poor old Palmer. Only reason I can think of is accountability... Crowley brought in to shut someone down in particular.

Looks like Suban will be the sub. None of the others really make much sense as a sub.

Crowley may be in for matching up against Priddis. Or maybe Embley. Or even Hurn. Hope it's Embley, because I'd rather McPhee on Priddis and around the stoppages than Crowley.

McPhee adds more around clearances than Crowley... may be just as poor at picking up the ball but blocks, shepherds and bumps a lot better.

Who was matched up against Priddis in the last Derby? Or did he run around without a tag?

****ing Crowley. FFS. I liked him a couple of years back. The game has passed him by.

Pretty close with my JVB and Suban in for Palmer and Hayden call. Just got the wrong slow fumbler with bad disposal.

Final benches.

Our bench is very one sized IMHO - I've not seen us name 4 medium sized players before, usually there is at least a tall or a utility. I guess maybe they are figuring with it likely to be wettish we won't need any extra height? Certainly the Toasters have a bit of size or their bench with Darling and McG. That mix is more of what I was expecting us to go with, someone like Robbo or Zac on the bench.

On another note, very unhappy with Crowls coming in for Palmer - I thought Rhys was quite solid against Sydney, from being at the game Palms efforts seemed effective, certainly better than anything I've seen from Crowls this season. I'd also have thought that Pearce or Mello or Hinkers would have been ahead of Crowls in the pecking order if they were going to drop Rhys...

Good news though that no apparent injuries other than Rog - if Griff had been out with that knock he picked up against Sydney, we'd be under a heap of pressure in the ruckwork around the ground.

Finally, great to see Suban back, hope he is used as the sub, given the bench Harvs has named. Tho' maybe Crowls could be the sub and just never be activated??:eek::D

Harvey needs to stop playing favorites with guys he envisioned as being part of his best 22 back before the pre-season started. Even taking injuries into account, Harvey's been as soft as a marshmallow with his selections this year.

This Palmer situation is a joke. If he is gone to GWS and Harvey knows it, drop him to the 2's and leave him there.

If by any chance he's not, he should be getting a game ahead of someone like Crowley or JVB. You'd think dropping him then bringing him back every fortnight is the stupidest thing possible for his confidence.

Harvey needs to stop playing favorites with guys he envisioned as being part of his best 22 back before the pre-season started. Even taking injuries into account, Harvey's been as soft as a marshmallow with his selections this year.

Agreed.

Crowley is very reminiscent of Matt Carr in his last year. Slow, can't kick, can't tag. Just don't see what Harvey is seeing at all.

Agreed.

Crowley is very reminiscent of Matt Carr in his last year. Slow, can't kick, can't tag. Just don't see what Harvey is seeing at all.

At least Matt Carr put us all out of our misery and retired...

I don't see how Paul Hasleby can end up on the outer in 2010, yet Michael Johnson and Ryan Crowley are given a free-ride in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes round 18 v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back