Preview Changes V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches telling Ned his role is the “runner” is like the shite my parents used to tell me growing up - about how I was clever in my own special way. Only to realise later in life I’m a moron like the rest of you people.
Speak for yourself lol... ;)

McHenry is a poor man's Jarrhan Jacky
Jacky couldn't even get a kick at SANFL reserves level. Probably the worst player I've seen on an AFL list.

Jacky couldn't even get a kick at SANFL reserves level. Probably the worst player I've seen on an AFL list.
Yeah probably a bit harsh given McHenry is reasonable at the lower level

I just remember Jacky at AFL level being a bit clueless on the field

I would like out Butts INJ, Crouch SUS, McHenry Dropped
In Berry, Curtin and Dowling... sub Smith or Jones

I suspect this will not be the case, as apart from the first games of the year, we tend to only introduce one newcomer at a time.

I hope we get at least one of the two newbs in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Rowey directly challenge McHenry on the shape keeper stuff? That’s well above ‘empty buzz word’ territory

What a selection dilemma, so many to drop and so few to bring in.

Call me a pessimist but I thought we were a tad lucky to beat Carlton. Whilst we changed the midfield mix, the game plan etc, etc the key difference was our goal kicking. If 80% of our scoring shots were goals in our other matches we would have 4 wins and a draw.

So….. the easy ones first.

(1) Out - Crouch; In - ????

Berry or Dowling?

Berry has had a great pre-season but his first month was underwhelming. He was very good playing one quarter as the sub.
Dowling had a solid pre-season and a great first SANFL game and solid on Saturday against the Doggies.

Other options
Pedlar; Currently would not last a quarter as an AFL midfielder.
Taylor; One of my favourites but one game back from injury is a bit too soon.
Schoenberg; Possibly his first game back after a long and serious injury this week, not yet.
Edwards; Has shown some good signs but would not get a game at most SANFL clubs at the moment.
Boyle; probably our best performed midfielder but not on our list (yet).

My choice is Berry by a whisker

(2) Out - Butts; In - ???

Borlase; Could play on the resting ruckman but he would be caught out by the Essendon smaller, quicker forwards.
Curtin; Would struggle for strength against Goldstein and Draper. We could use Worrell on the resting ruckman and use him as the third tall defender but is this fair to Worrell?
Himmelberg; No,no,no,no.
Burgess; Possibly but he has had limited exposure as a key defender.

My choice is Curtin

(3) Out - McHenry; In - ????

Pedlar; Has had a horrible start to the season and hardly demanded selection with his game in the Twos
Dowling; Can play half forward but not his best position.
Gallagher; He has now played two games of AFL, might take 3-4 games to go past Ned and Smurph.
Tariek*; Solid start to the season but yet to kick a goal in the SANFL this year.

My choice is Pedlar by a whisker and Dowling the sub.

The Tougher Selections

(4) Out - Smith, In - ????
Since I have already brought in Curtin then that only leaves
Bond; sadly a bit quiet against the doggies.
Ryan; I am a fan but he did struggle a bit in his second SANFL match.

Given most posters didn’t want Hamill in the team last week and his form was just O.K. we may have a problem with small/medium defenders (particularly with Milera out for the season).

Smith survives for another week.

(5) Out - Gollant; In - ????

Burgess; BTDT
Himmelberg; Are you ****en joking.
Strachan; Possibly worth a roll of the dice.

Imho, give Lachie another week.

Now we just have to replace Hinge, Jones, ROB, Cook, Fog, Keays* and Laird.

It could be a long night at the selection table.

* According to the Bearded Clam

Last edited:
My initial reaction is its the young guys celebrating like we won the game and the veteran whose been around long enough to know not to lose your marbles in a game with 90 seconds left.

The old Larry Bird bit when he was coaching and the Pacers hit a shot to go up against MJ and the Bulls with like 2 seconds left
View attachment 1958957
Yea people reading way to much into this. He clapped the goal. As soon as the siren went he was up celebrating like the rest of them

Jones is an average, average footballer who is stopping a better, younger player coming through for our next push at a flag. His footy iq is very, very bad. Praising his efforts yesterday is exactly why this club has accepted mediocrity for far too long. The bloke has basically been unsighted his whole career. Wingmen are so important to a team’s drive. He gives us next to nothing. Seedsman for instance: 10x the player Jones is.
100% agree unfortunately. Even last season I honestly couldn’t see what the high praise was all about. Offers very little. Amazing when you think he’s 24 and played nearly 100 games. He’s not a youngster anymore, he should be entering his peak and yet he plays like a first year player
Will be happy to be proven wrong

100% agree unfortunately. Even last season I honestly couldn’t see what the high praise was all about. Offers very little. Amazing when you think he’s 24 and played nearly 100 games. He’s not a youngster anymore, he should be entering his peak and yet he plays like a first year player
Will be happy to be proven wrong

Jones is the classic soldier. He isn't a star player to build the team around. He needs stars around him to bring him into the game. When this happens he looks fantastic. Will this count against him long term, maybe but its not very often you get 22 star players with x factor in the side. You need soldiers to fill the gaps. Overall, he is not in our top 10 issues at the moment.

Honest question - how many other teams do you think actually use a "shape keeper".

Can you name them. Its pretty obvious we have two - but who are the leagues other shapekeepers?
Honest answer… I was just reporting what I heard, I gave no indications as to what I thought about it.

You fell for that? I’m sure his role doesn’t include not getting the ball, he’s around enough contests if he was good enough he would.

Then there’s the dropped goal square mark, missed goal, grubber kick and shank D50 kick?

He cost the equivalent of 4 goals
George did you see where I gave absolutely NO opinion as to his comments (other than “which clearly isn’t very often”)? I reported what I heard and asked if anyone else had heard the conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back